College games moved Topic

SC moved to Baton Rouge(LSU).   Floods
Eastern Kentucky moved to Georgetown College(still KY).  Security threat

Made me start thinking.   While EKU is peanuts, losing a home game in the SEC has to be big money.   80,000 seats at $50 per is 4m dollars.   I have no idea if visiting teams get a percentage but, either way, it seems SC is losing a lot of money.    With the Panthers off, I thought Charlotte might be an option.   I'm assuming it didn't work out.

Anyone know how this works?   Gameday has to be a pretty big expense but, since the "paycheck" games with small colleges are often close to 1m, they have to be making plenty of money when playing nobody.  LSU is not a nobody.
10/7/2015 3:17 PM
YEAH, WHY WOULD THEY GO TO LOUIS. TRY AND FIND A SPOT CLOSER TO HOME
10/7/2015 5:16 PM
You don't think financial arrangements were part of the discussion about moving? I'm sure LSU is paying SC. Thing is, neither side wants to make money an issue because of the natural disaster, so those terms will never be made public.
10/7/2015 6:54 PM

I asked how it works.   I'm quite sure SC is not going to LSU and getting no compensation.    That is how it doesn't work. 

Anyway, from what I've heard, LSU is giving SC all ticket sales and SC is reimbursing LSU for expenses that come with opening/running the stadium.     Assume LSU will get concessions(save on travel expenses as a bonus) and a home game for their fans while SC will still make a few dollars after travel expenses.

10/7/2015 9:21 PM
The Big Ten actually does revenue sharing.  Prior to Maryland and Rutgers this is what they did (I'm not sure after they were added), but it was 35% of all ticket sales go into a pot which is then divided evenly.  They do have a minimum of 300k and a maximum 1M per game (and things like suites aren't included fully).  So every year Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Penn State contribute 4 million, but get paid significantly less than that for those games (other schools have hit the maximum but they aren't every single year like those 4).  Schools like Purdue, Indiana, and Northwestern rarely hit a single game maximum let alone all 4 games. 

None of the other conferences do a revenue sharing.  I believe most conferences just do a straight you get your 4 or 5 home games and nothing on the 4 or 5 road games, but I couldn't find much on it.
10/7/2015 10:27 PM (edited)
It's probably less of a big deal with all the TV money but, as I said, 4m(just estimating) in ticket sales is still a pretty good haul.  
10/8/2015 4:36 PM
In the budget presented to the school for the year SC projected just over 3.85 million in ticket sales for the LSU game. 
10/8/2015 9:32 PM
College games moved Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.