using random (or not so much) .org Topic

on one of the draft forums I noticed some strong dislike for random.org as a draft order generator

I can see where a commissioner could abuse their powers because of lack of accountability.
In the extreme, one could "claim" that a list order was randomly generated when that was not the case.

I think there are ways to make this more transparent.  
Here's an example:
  1. Start with an ordered list of owners as usual
  2. The commissioner initially selects a number from 00-99
  3. Each owner SMs a number from 00-99 to the commissioner, who confirms this (and the fact that the owner is still going to participate)
  4. After all owners have reported to the commissioner, the list is updated with the chosen numbers
  5. The sequence of numbers is joined together into a 48-digit key
  6. Anyone can use this key on random.org to generate the draft order
Just as an aside, I'm curious why WIS doesn't provide a list generator, since this is a common thing for most theme leagues across all sports . . . 

I haven't been a WIS member long enough to know if something like the following was ever tried.

10/9/2015 3:12 PM
One method I've used forever is the nylottery.org Quick Draw numbers.  It's a keno type draw that's held every four minutes.  What you do is assign everybody a time slot (04:00, 04:04, etc) for the following day.  It's completely transparent and pretty easy, aside from the legwork of assigning times.
10/9/2015 3:23 PM
Draftlotto.com
I recommend that site for theme leagues. A couple of owners give an email to the commish, he runs the lotto, emails are sent out as notifications. Easy, free, and fair.
10/13/2015 4:51 PM
But like I told you before hoops, personally I'm avoiding leagues that use random.org. Depending on the theme and the commish I may make an exception but as far as I'm concerned I've been in a league where the commish got the draft position he wanted and it has bothered me ever since.
10/13/2015 4:58 PM
Posted by jt7king on 10/13/2015 4:58:00 PM (view original):
But like I told you before hoops, personally I'm avoiding leagues that use random.org. Depending on the theme and the commish I may make an exception but as far as I'm concerned I've been in a league where the commish got the draft position he wanted and it has bothered me ever since.
not like that ever happened in the NBA . . . 
10/14/2015 1:22 AM
I also used the NY Lottery. Anyone can log on and check the numbers.

Most of the time, other members of the league calculated the results before I did.
10/24/2015 11:23 AM
using random (or not so much) .org Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.