Friday PM news dump Topic

Last month, panic in New Jersey after a review of state finances. They learned that one rich guy, who had lived in New Jersey for 20 years, had moved out of the state.

This news was so bad that New Jersey’s budget & finance officer immediately reported it to the state senate. One guy, folks. He warned that if this was true, New Jersey was screwed. The state would lose so much tax revenue that the entire income tax plan could fall apart.

Because one guy left.

Turns out, it was true. This rich guy has now been identified. He’s David Tepper, who runs a very successful hedge fund. He used to be New Jersey’s top taxpayer. An independent financial group says Tepper earned more than $6 billion between 2012 and 2015. With a top tax rate of almost 9 percent, New Jersey is looking at hundreds of millions of dollars in “lost payments.”

David Tepper packed his bags and his hedge fund and relocated them to Miami. Simple reason. Florida has no state income tax!

Elected liberals, who loooove spending other people’s money, and who loooove bragging about soaking the rich are now in a tizzy. But who can blame Tepper for moving? New Jersey state taxes alone cost him almost ten percent of his earnings.

Look at me folks. Democrats demonize the rich, while taxing them at confiscatory rates. They never realize killing the Golden Goose cooks their own goose! One guy can can mess up their entire tax revenue system. Amazing.

5/2/2016 6:01 PM
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has given over $700,000.oo to University of Oregon Historian Mark Carey. Carey gets the money from the NSF. The NSF gets the money from the government. The government takes the money from you. What are you paying for today?

It seems Mr. Carey is concerned over "feminist glaciology." He thinks we should study the "gendered vulnerabilities" of more men studying
glaciers than women. THE DAILEY CALLER points to Mr. Careys theory that "merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology" can lead to " more just and equitable science and human-ice interactions."

The Universitiy website alludes Carey wants to know "more about the relation-ships between women and ice" after he read a report that "linked flooding from a glacial lake with an increase in sexually transmitted infections" in women.

GOOD CALL BIG GOVERNMENT!~ Thanks for cracking down on wasteful spending Obama AND thanks for accounting for every taxpayer dollar spent Vice-President Biden.
5/3/2016 7:02 PM
It's so sad that you are so easily swayed by bullshit.

I just looked this guy up. I wanted to know how long he's been receiving NSF funding. The answer is since the Bush administration, by the way. So there's that. More importantly, the vast majority of his publications are on the relationship between climate change and glacial geographic changes in the Andes and modelling historical climate change from the geological record of glacial growth and retreat. Only about 10-20% appear to even address cultural factors.

The final and most glaring problem with you buying into this bullshit is that since the Clinton administration, the Republican party has been far, far more supportive of science funding (via NSF, DOE, NASA, etc.) than the Democratic party. Republicans seem to link science funding in with the No Child Left Behind initiative to improve education and scientific output, while Democrats seem to view it as something they can afford to cut to fund their social programs. So at the end of the day, a critique of NSF spending is far more a critique of House Republicans than Democratic executive who have nothing to do with the budget except signing it.

When Rush feeds you these things, he's being intentionally misleading. But I think you're mostly just ignorant. So once in a while I feel like it's worthwhile to at least give you a chance to try to grasp a little bit of reality. FWIW, I am a scientist, and have been paid alternatively by money from NSF and DOE for the past 6 years. I'm using that money to study, primarily, lithium ion batteries and their components. But I'm a big proponent of funding for NSF, and it's one reason I've continued to vote primarily Republican. However, dissatisfaction with how the NSF is spending money should not be a Republican talking point. Rush is really taking advantage of the fact that most of the people who could call him on his bullshit don't listen to his show, and even if they did they'd have no vehicle by which to communicate with most of his listening audience.
5/4/2016 2:57 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/4/2016 2:57:00 PM (view original):
It's so sad that you are so easily swayed by bullshit.

I just looked this guy up. I wanted to know how long he's been receiving NSF funding. The answer is since the Bush administration, by the way. So there's that. More importantly, the vast majority of his publications are on the relationship between climate change and glacial geographic changes in the Andes and modelling historical climate change from the geological record of glacial growth and retreat. Only about 10-20% appear to even address cultural factors.

The final and most glaring problem with you buying into this bullshit is that since the Clinton administration, the Republican party has been far, far more supportive of science funding (via NSF, DOE, NASA, etc.) than the Democratic party. Republicans seem to link science funding in with the No Child Left Behind initiative to improve education and scientific output, while Democrats seem to view it as something they can afford to cut to fund their social programs. So at the end of the day, a critique of NSF spending is far more a critique of House Republicans than Democratic executive who have nothing to do with the budget except signing it.

When Rush feeds you these things, he's being intentionally misleading. But I think you're mostly just ignorant. So once in a while I feel like it's worthwhile to at least give you a chance to try to grasp a little bit of reality. FWIW, I am a scientist, and have been paid alternatively by money from NSF and DOE for the past 6 years. I'm using that money to study, primarily, lithium ion batteries and their components. But I'm a big proponent of funding for NSF, and it's one reason I've continued to vote primarily Republican. However, dissatisfaction with how the NSF is spending money should not be a Republican talking point. Rush is really taking advantage of the fact that most of the people who could call him on his bullshit don't listen to his show, and even if they did they'd have no vehicle by which to communicate with most of his listening audience.
WELL THAT'S JUST GREAT! Glad to hear from you again. Sup?

Now, first I must say I wish you had posted my original but it's OK. No big deal.

I'm sorry you are so angry. I hope I didn't make you angry. I'm also sorry for your hate. I hope you feel better soon.

I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU for backing me up here. Although I don't think words like bullshit or ignorant were necessary, it is understandable as you are a scientist receiving monies from the government. We all protect our Ox.

I have also looked at Mr. Carey and although I support some of his research, primarily his study of how glaciers changed the world over the past 2 centuries, I am less than enthralled by the bulk of his work since then. His Andes project has "some" merit. And therein lies the problem. This latest endeavor, like earlier ones including his Andes project, delves into social issues. He has no business inserting his personal social or political beliefs into a paper. We come into his writings with the knowledge they will be tainted by all human frailty including the economic factor, but Mr. Carey has stepped way over the line and a short study of his history, and more importantly, his latest interview with fellow historian/scientist Carolyn Grambling, proves the point.

But back to the original, briefly, if I can. I WANT TO THANK YOU for agreeing with me and backing me up. As you know, the original post referred to the term FEMINIST GLACIOLOGY. Here Carey is concerned with "GENDERED VULNERABILITIES" of more men that women in his field. (AND INTERVIEWED BY A WOMAN AND PERSONAL FRIEND IN HIS FIELD---no hardball questions here) Then came the blah blah……..

THEORY of "merging feminist postcolonial science studies and feminist political ecology"
possibly leading to "more just and equatable science and human-ice interactions."

In case you didn't know, this guy is not a Republican. He's an apologist for the flat earth junk science global warming climate change crowd. And for all I know, you're a part of it.

In closing….I don't have the information that would allow me to give this guy a 10% or 20% tag as to what he has addressed anything. Furthermore they are separated by time and subject and…yes…money. He started out great with glacial history. Should have stopped there and gotten a job until the next brain flash came.

Sorry. I can't reach that far. Carolyn Grambling. Feminist Glaciology. He sounds like a lifer.

Thanks for keeping my back though.

5/4/2016 6:39 PM
CHECK IT! Here's another one. We go from ice to mice.

This gender equality stuff is getting more than just a little out of hand.

NOW THE NATIONAL INSTITUTES OF HEALTH has announced plans to spend TEN MILLION DOLLARS ($10,000,000.oo) to push "gender equality" in biomedical research to counteract the "male tilt" of……………wait for it…………….MICE used in experiments.

Personally, I don't have a problem with using an equal amount of male and female mice. UNLESS there is a reason and you need all male or all female to conduct the experiment. I'm concerned with having to use 10 MILLION taxpayer dollars to do it. OBAMA said he would cut the deficit and lower the national debt. Biden said he would account for every penny spent by this administration. We're still waiting for the reports from year ONE.

BACK TO THE MICE! In December BARBRA STREISAND complained:
"Gender inequality even extends to mice in labs. They're all male! So even female mice are discriminated against! When I asked why, the answer I got was that female mice have hormones they're more complex. WELL SO ARE WOMEN!"

I give her the benefit of the doubt this was somewhat tongue in cheek. However, I wonder what she'll do when she figures out all lab rats are white.
5/4/2016 7:35 PM (edited)
I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that a climate change denier doesn't support funding for scientific research.
5/4/2016 7:53 PM
5/4/2016 8:05 PM
meh

what's science ever done for us

5/5/2016 10:51 AM
You want a list?

Just because you're off your meds doesn't mean they aren't helping other people.
5/5/2016 6:45 PM
Science gave us nuclear weapons.
5/5/2016 6:49 PM
AND Al Gore. Politician. Scientist. New York Times best selling author. Not such a big deal anymore.

AL had a book and movie "An Inconvenient Truth" way back when Bush was President.

Back in those days it was changing over from global warming to climate change. These guys had been running this thing for well over a decade prior and were finally getting traction from the media. It always helps when the federal government with their inbedded EPA buddies throw money while making threatening demands along with the growing numbers of political whores willing to do anything for anybody just to keep a job and see a check.

AND I'm not gonna go through all the stuff again about all the fish being dead and blah blah blah. But since we're on the glacier thing and ice…I just thought this would be a good time to relate things from me to you.

WARNING: I AM NOT A SCIENTIST

SO ANYWAYS: Al Gore said the sea levels would rise because of ice melt.

FAST FORWARD TO TODAY: Nothing. No dead fish or rising sea. But the left does have an explanation.

The water that should have made the seas rise has been absorbed into the continents. They are thirsty. I'm not kidding.

Also the reason you haven't seen global warming for 20 years is because the oceans are absorbing and "hiding" the actual change.

Continents are absorbing the rise in sea level and oceans are hiding climate change. (Global Warming)

I wonder what John Edwards thinks.
5/6/2016 7:35 PM
Sea level is rising by several millimeters a year. And I don't know what you mean by "haven't seen global warming for 20 years," because there's a measurable warming trend even over that incredibly short span (in climatological terms). You listen to the wrong people... At least make an argument that isn't flat wrong and stupid.

I would spend a lot less time trying to figure out what "the left" is doing to explain global warming and more trying to become moderately scientifically literate. What researchers are explaining is probably a lot more important. The interpretation of equally scientifically illiterate politicians is not necessarily a great source.
5/7/2016 12:58 AM
EXXON SAYS NO!
5/7/2016 4:50 AM
Antartica had a break-off. 150,000 penguins on a piece of ice. Media reports disaster and global warming. We are supposed to think it has never happened in the history of mankind.

That's why I question the mainstream media on everything, because I have found them to be slanted and usually wrong to some degree or another.

This story has a pretty good ending. By the time the berg had floated 40 miles away, 140,000 smart birds swam home. 10,000 liberals didn't.

And my point is this: Isn't this the normal ebb and flow of life? I'm just talking common sense. It gets hot then it gets cold. I'm not going to get all wack over some big propaganda push by big government and their media allies. The population bomb had us all starving by the 80's. (That one is gonna come true. It's a matter of time) The fish were supposed to be dead by the 90's. It's all a bunch of crap by Al Gore and the tax you for lunch bunch. There is no science in it. It's all politics and taxes and money and power and control. Everything the LEFT told you was a lie. That's what they do. They could not survive if they told the truth.

And I look all around and see all the failing nations. And this leadership is doing everything it can to make us one of them. And global warming is a part of it to tax you more and give the government even more control over you. The cities are an example of it. The people are dependent and the government is failing. And they won't allow the people to come back in and heal themselves. They will only allow a temporary government band-aide. And the SLAVES dependent on the crumbs and money to live a bare existence on the plantation are more than willing to vote for their democrat slave-masters again. They have no other choice right now because idiots on the tube and print and classroom are feeding them lies like global warming.
5/7/2016 5:52 PM (edited)
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/7/2016 12:58:00 AM (view original):
Sea level is rising by several millimeters a year. And I don't know what you mean by "haven't seen global warming for 20 years," because there's a measurable warming trend even over that incredibly short span (in climatological terms). You listen to the wrong people... At least make an argument that isn't flat wrong and stupid.

I would spend a lot less time trying to figure out what "the left" is doing to explain global warming and more trying to become moderately scientifically literate. What researchers are explaining is probably a lot more important. The interpretation of equally scientifically illiterate politicians is not necessarily a great source.
Yeah, and the moon moves away from the earth a couple inches every year too. Death to the world! Let's strike fear into the hearts of every American so they can justify another Tax that helps line the pockets of the government funded entities that can't survive without it.
5/8/2016 11:06 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...14 Next ▸
Friday PM news dump Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.