New League: 1931/1930 Progressive/Regressive Topic

Any thoughts of beginning this with 12 or 16 teams, then do expansion?
2/2/2016 3:40 PM
How much time will you get to make a pick?
2/11/2016 2:51 PM
I'm in, just based on the creds of the other owners who jumped in. I'm ok with starting at whatever number of teams you can sign up.
2/11/2016 4:11 PM
One thought...... the way the draft is set up would make it very difficult for owners to decide when to stop drafting players in the first draft, whichever direction that one is going in. I'd suggest the drafts go on alternating days, with the each round of both progressive and regressive on consecutive days. It'll make salary management a lot easier and allow all owners to build balanced teams from the start. What do you venerable chaps think?
2/11/2016 4:23 PM (edited)
Posted by gbakker on 2/11/2016 4:23:00 PM (view original):
One thought...... the way the draft is set up would make it very difficult for owners to decide when to stop drafting players in the first draft, whichever direction that one is going in. I'd suggest the drafts go on alternating days, with the each round of both progressive and regressive on consecutive days. It'll make salary management a lot easier and allow all owners to build balanced teams from the start. What do you venerable chaps think?
Good observation.  Have regressive/progressive on alternating days; this makes it easier to assess roster needs, strengths etc as the draft proceeds.
2/11/2016 7:38 PM
Posted by robe29 on 2/11/2016 2:51:00 PM (view original):
How much time will you get to make a pick?
Most drafts have slots of a half hour to an hour, depending on the round.
2/11/2016 7:40 PM
Thanks for joining gbakker!

And yes, robe29 as marcstuart mentioned, most draft slots are half an hour to an hour... but usually the first round or two is off the clock, meaning owners have as long as they (reasonably) need to make a pick.  Don't want people missing out on prime building blocks just because they have a dentist appointment.

Also. in the inaugural draft, the first 3-5 rounds of each draft would be off the clock, just to give everyone a fair chance at having the foundation of a good team.

2/11/2016 11:50 PM
DoctorKz  I would not be interested in a 12-16 team league as, even with a cap, the sheer number of available players would allow owners to build crazy all-star teams.  One of the elements I enjoy about Prog leagues is the fact that players usually tend to perform somewhat close to their real life numbers.  Something that doesn't happen in crazy all-star leagues.
2/11/2016 11:54 PM
As for the idead drafting alternately progressive then regressive in order to simplify drafting... I'm not entirely sure it would simplify drafting.  On the other hand, maybe it would.

I'm willing to put it to a vote once the league is full.  I will make note to that effect in the original post.
2/11/2016 11:58 PM
To clarify my thoughts on draft order. I totally see how succeeding seasonal drafts could easily go as described in the league guidelines. But if I have, say, the twentieth pick in the progressive in the inaugural draft, it would be nice to find out right away who I'm getting with that 5th pick in the Regressive.
2/13/2016 6:30 PM
I'll happily go with whatever you decide van.
2/13/2016 6:48 PM
Thanks g... both ideas seem workable, so I'm willing to put it to the vote.
2/13/2016 8:51 PM
I'd vote alternating if it comes to it.  1st round progressive/1st round regressive/2nd round progressive, 2nd round regressive, etc.  Makes sense given the salary cap to draft all the best (and most likely, highest-salaried) players first, and then fill in holes with the later rounds. 
2/15/2016 5:51 PM
Meanwhile we need another 13 just to get to 20.  Try spreading the word.
2/15/2016 7:15 PM
I've advertised this league in another progressive I'm in. Hopefully we'll get some activity here.
2/18/2016 3:18 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
New League: 1931/1930 Progressive/Regressive Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.