New League: 1931/1930 Progressive/Regressive Topic

1931/1930 Progressive/Regressive
24 teams
AL/NL teams/players only
any stadium providing we have 12 AL and 12 NL at all times
standard sim configuration
Clones allowed, but one has to progressing and one has to be regressing. (i.e. this league will have one Babe Ruth progressing from 1931-1935 and one Babe Ruth regressing from 1930-1914)
6/2 Below Average AAA
110M salary cap
Live next series only
No trade vetos
No whining (inspired, in a good way, by contrarian23's great leagues)

Two separate drafts...
1931 - 1976 Progressive and 1930 - 1885 Regressive

The Progressive and Regressive drafts will be done separately.  The initial draft order will be completely random (chosen by random.org), and proceed in serpentine order. The player with 1st overall pick will choose which draft goes first (progressive or regressive).  That draft will continue until everyone passes, then the other draft will proceed (in opposite serpentine draft order from the first draft) until all team are full.  Stadiums can be drafted at any point in either round.
Based on comments from a couple of the interested owners, once the league is full, a vote will be held as to whether to conduct the drafts as posted, or to alternate the progressive and regressive drafts from day to day.

Starting season 2 the draft order(s) will be totally random and the serpentine selection will be dropped.  Starting season 3 and from that point on, playoff teams will be slotted in the last 8 positions of each draft, in a random order which will be reversed for the 2nd draft.

At the end of both drafts any teams over the salary cap will be required to participate in an drop/add round (or rounds) until they are salary compliant.  Order least over -> most over.

There is no limit to the number of progressing or regressing players required on each team.

This Progressive/Regressive league will end after the 1885/1976 season unless at least 20 owners want to continue as a straight 1976-Present Progressive.

Commissioner reserves the right, at his discretion, to allot an additional 1st round, 17th overalll pick (or picks, one in both drafts) to a new owner's team should they enter the league and take over a team with only one or no 1st round picks *or a severe lack of viable players*. If there's more than one new owner in this predicament, necessary picks will be allotted as the commissioner sees fit... in the space between the non-playoff teams and the playoff teams.

This is my first try at a Prog of this complexity.  Please let me know if any of the rules are unclear or unworkable... also if you notice any loophole big enough to drive a truck through, give me a heads up.

2/12/2016 12:05 AM (edited)
Owners list...

1. eastvanmungo
2. skunk206
3. DoctorKz
4. tigerrott
5. marcstuart
6. italyprof
7. gbakker
8. robe29

2/20/2016 11:43 PM (edited)
I'm interested
11/18/2015 11:11 PM
Thanks skunk206... welcome aboard.
11/21/2015 7:44 AM
Me too
11/21/2015 8:14 AM
Alright Doc, thanks a lot!

11/22/2015 8:25 PM
I'm interested. Keep me posted. Consider me "in" unless you hear otherwise.
12/29/2015 4:37 PM
Thank you tigerrott!

1/1/2016 8:09 PM
So like the NWP league, drafts will always be completely random (except for the playoff teams wrinkle.)  I'm interested if only for the reason that drafts are tank-proof.  Also like the salary cap, a feature not found in Contrarian's leagues.  I'm surprised more of our owners from there haven't weighed in.  You might want to start this out as a 20 or even 16 team league since there's been so little interest.  Just my 2 cents.

Not clear: AL and NL will be merged for draft purposes right?

OK EVM, count me in.  Let's see what happens.  Good luck, this could be a major headache for you.  Don't know how Contrarian does it.

1/27/2016 1:01 PM
Can an owner have both clones?  As long as one progresses and other regresses??
1/27/2016 1:05 PM
does it cost the same per season?  How many season do I need to commit to?
1/29/2016 9:16 PM
I am in EVM ! 

This is one of the most original and interesting ideas for a progressive league in a while. 
1/30/2016 10:41 AM
Posted by marcstuart on 1/27/2016 1:05:00 PM (view original):
Can an owner have both clones?  As long as one progresses and other regresses??
Yes, you can own both clones.
Yes, AL and NL are combined for both the progressive and regressive draft.

1/30/2016 7:17 PM (edited)
Posted by robe29 on 1/29/2016 9:16:00 PM (view original):
does it cost the same per season?  How many season do I need to commit to?
Not sure if I totally understand the first question, but prog leagues cost the the same per season as regular leagues.

As for the second question.  There is no limit, but in terms of fairness to the league and other owners, 5 is a good number to go with.  People who treat the league as a one off might be tempted to make managerial decisions that are not sustainable in the long run, leaving me to try to find an owner for a team that has been trashed and won't be competitive for the foreseeable future. 

1/30/2016 7:16 PM
Thanks for coming on board marcstuart and italyprof!  We're getting a good group of owners going.
1/30/2016 7:20 PM
123 Next ▸
New League: 1931/1930 Progressive/Regressive Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.