Pitcher Playing in Another Position Topic

Has anyone ever see it happen?

I don't know whether or not WIS programming allows it, but it does allow some pitchers to pinch-hit or pinch-run in extra inning games. It also allows the double-switch. Further, in defensive ratings, it shows pitchers who have ratings at other positions. So, all the means are there.

Seen it?

11/23/2015 4:27 PM
Lots of times.  Check out the lead off hitter in this game from a current 2015 replay-type league:

www.whatifsports.com/slb/Boxscore.aspx 

Even odder, I've seen batters pitch.  Or at least noticed it many seasons after the fact, in a prog of mine.  Mickey Cochrane got in a handful of appearances on the mound one season for a very bad (and presumably very fatigued) team.  I posted about it somewhere in the Believe It or Don't! thread -- Cochrane didn't pitch well, but I think had a slightly better ERA than his team overall.
11/23/2015 4:47 PM
I too have seen pitchers used in the lineup - but only as the DH, as in the example crazystengel posted.  I do not recall ever seeing a pitcher slotted in at another defensive position.
11/23/2015 6:05 PM
I don't look at too many of my box scores, but I've also never seen a pitcher take the field defensively in another position.  Only used as the DH when all other players in the hierarchy are fatigued.
11/23/2015 9:40 PM
Thanks dudes. Hm... I think the boys (graybeards, now?) in Cincinnati could do some refining about allowing pitchers to take the field in extra-inning games, if they ever get around to doing their language/database migration.
11/24/2015 3:16 PM
I've had pitchers pinch hit. Never seen them in the field. I couldn't believe it when I saw Stengel had position players pitch. I've never seen that.
11/29/2015 1:01 PM
I wish there was a way to put a pitcher in the hierarchies as a defensive replacement or to rest a player. Some pitchers have excellent defensive ratings for other positions...most often OF.
11/29/2015 1:03 PM
Caruthers would pitch 81 and play OF the other 81, that'd kinda be fun to draft/manage a team like that!!
12/1/2015 6:56 AM
I one time built a team designed to get pitchers to play other positions. I drafted minimal position players and good hitting pitchers that could play every position. It was a $40M league... My team went 2-160 I think.
12/1/2015 11:33 PM
Posted by zubinsum on 12/1/2015 11:33:00 PM (view original):
I one time built a team designed to get pitchers to play other positions. I drafted minimal position players and good hitting pitchers that could play every position. It was a $40M league... My team went 2-160 I think.
Well.... coulda been worse!
12/2/2015 1:52 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 12/2/2015 1:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zubinsum on 12/1/2015 11:33:00 PM (view original):
Well.... coulda been worse!
But did any pitchers enter the game other than in the ways already mentioned in this thread, zubs?
12/3/2015 2:30 PM
Yes, once all my position players were injured, the pitchers played in the field.

I have never seen (that I recall) a position player pitch. For that to happen your last pitcher would have to injur themselves batting I think.
12/7/2015 3:47 PM
Posted by cwillis802 on 11/29/2015 1:03:00 PM (view original):
I wish there was a way to put a pitcher in the hierarchies as a defensive replacement or to rest a player. Some pitchers have excellent defensive ratings for other positions...most often OF.
Yeah, but then you'd have to pay for their defense.
12/7/2015 3:48 PM
Pitcher Playing in Another Position Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.