Roster Selection Strategies Topic

It's been a busy year. I didn't have adequate time for the drafts and it shows in the number of mistakes made. 

$60M
     19th century hitters don't work at lowcaps, overpriced and horrible glove. Pitchers are ok and they can hit much better than their modern counterparts. So most of my 19th century budget went to pitchers. I did select Cap Anson because of his secondary Catcher rating and one part timer who had a rare glove rating above D-. No real drafting strategy other than get the best value for the money. The team is very balanced except for a couple bums on the bench. The nonlinear pay scale is more prominent at the lower range and it didn't seem right to step outside of a narrow range of $/IP and $/PA. On the other hand range cost is too balanced to be affordable here so I have almost all D and D- range. I chose Veterans Stadium for the 2B and HR along with a -2 singles rating which hopefully will save on fatigue. I'm not going to bother mentioning players names because you've probably never heard of them. I know I haven't.

$80M Yankees
     Yankees are known for overpaying free agent stars past their prime so they seemed like a logical choice. If the cap were $100M. I thought I could get it down to $90m until I loaded the lg# and noticed the cap was $80m. A different strategy is called for, based more on bargain pricing. Yankees have a large player pool and I already did much of the research so I stuck with them, didn't try anybody else.
     It's amazing how much difference that $10M makes in the pitching. Alll those studs are useless albatrosses now. After drafting hitting I downgraded my pitching further, it seemed more important to keep the hitters. Rotation of Gura, Pat Dobson, and Gaylord Perry not his best year. Hardin and Maglie can start as needed or pitch in relief. Doyle Alexander and Paul Lindblad are the bullpen stars, a mediocre Time Burke and Heimach in long relief, and a mopup. 
     Pudge catching because I anticipate a fair number of running teams. Velarde an average but affordable 2B. SS was a problem and I compromised with a $5M ARod with C glove. 3B was also a problem because I drafted an illegal player, rather than rearrange half my roster I replaced with a similarly priced Charlie Hayes. now here comes the beef, Olerud at 1B and a tandem of Outfielders including Raines Melky Mumphrey Mondesi Nady and Griffey Sr. They'll play the matchups and pinch hit.

$90M 72 A's.
     The most complex theme and I save it until the final weekend. Riiight. I only considered 3 teams and drafted mostly on the fly, not considering other combinations. and I confused this with the no pre-1920 theme, possibly missing out on the best teams. Just a reminder this tournament takes a LOT of time. 
     First I looked at the 2008 Dodgers and all their superstars. too pricey and I don't like Dodger stadium so I moved on. 1985 Cardinals have always been considered I good twist team but i'm not sure why, they don't have enough pitching. John Tudor and then what? In this them I could bring in Mike Scott and a closer or two, but that still left a lot of mediocre innings. The extra hitting budget didn't seem like enough to make up for it. So I looked for a pitching team and found 72 A's with Vida Blue, Catfish Hunter, Joe Horlen, and I can bring in Mike Norris, or even Ron Guidry but that one was too ugly. I really liked the pitching but only had $40M left for hitters.Entered at midnight of the deadline only to discover I had an illegal tandem. The fix was a downgrade and I learned two things, you often don't get the best version of a player and it helps to have a large player pool to choose from. So I reconsidered the 08 Dodgers. Good hitting, 3 quality SP but that's only 600+ innings by modern standards, closers were unaffordable and glove was considerably worse. So I stuck with the watered down A's.
     Catfish Hunter represents the host year. Vida Blue '71 of course, with Darold Knowles. Mike Norris brought in by a 200k bench player. I had to settle for the 2nd best Horlen '67 with Don McMahon. plenty of SP innings so Horlen may spend some time in relief. '70 Bando is cheaper but still good and pairs with Jim Roland. '69 Dick Green is also affordable and comes with his own backup, Bob Johnson. Lots of A+ arms available I took Ted Simmons who can also hit, courtesy of a bench Kubiak. SS was a problem, I couldn't stomache Campy or the other cheap options so I overpayed for Templeton via George Hendrick. This seemed more important than keeping the best Horlen with my abundance of SP. Lots of Cepeda's to choose from, I chose '62 with Felipe Alou. Ollie Brown and Jay Johnstone '75 make up 2/3rds of a platoon.Close out with the never used combination of Marty Martinez and Scipio Spinks. I had Matty Alou and a good PH but they were illegal, same season different team. No easy fix, I downgraded to a weaker Alou and no DH. I lost my backup Catcher in all the confusion so I'll have to fake it.

$100M Soup Draft
     Got off to a bad start. I broke from my usual pattern and took 3 high IP pitchers early. Sutton is a good choice, Don Wilson an ok choice, after snagging Eichhorn and a hitter Sam McDowell was a horrible choice. I thought the theme rules would leave very limited choices later and I overreacted. Some pitchers like Higuera went undrafted and they are just as good as McDowell but fewer innings. Instead of grabbing a rare top infielder I chose Fred Lynn from a crowded OF wiping out a good team and goodseason in the process. Then I took Tim Burke intending to use his big 1987 season, which of course is not eligible.
     Let's see if I can salvage this mess. Trammell at a quickly thinning SS position. Brooksie at 3rd, Cooper at 1st. I'm getting into money trouble early. an't afford the best long relievers, that's not too bad but I hated passing up the best remaining Outfielders. Other teams were already drafting the best part timers, and that's normally my Ace in the hole. Catcher is a hitting platoon of Smoky Burgess and Cliff Johnson, and they will also pinch hit. Hal McRae at OF, mostly because he had several usable seasons and I might need the flexibility. I was scrambling for some cheap platoon players when I noticed the Burke mistake just in time. Luckily I hadn't used 1985 yet, a big downgrade but I needed the extra money and innings. Dick Green at 2B backed up by Auerbach. Some semi-useful scrubs. I got stuck in the endgame trap with a horrible bench and one pitcher short. Dropping Fred Lynn to his 2nd best season solved both of those problems. 
     This team has below average pitching and probably not enough hitting to salvage it.

$110M Giants draft
      Giants are a good choice for this theme so I was glad to be in this division. Carl Hubbell with my #2 overall pick, a big dropoff from Mathewson. My rule of thumb is take whatever the draft gives you and in these tournaments the drafts usually give me hitters. Everybody took pitchers several rounds and that left me first shot at 6 hitting positions. Mays Hornsby Ott McCovey Terry. Took the 2 best 1Bmen because it's a DH league. Closers were already being snagged so I took Rod Beck. Terry was too tempting to pass up but he broke the bank. I had first shot at SS and bypassed the overpriced Aurilia for Travis Jackson. I needed to pay for a couple half decent setup men, Beck can't do it by himself. not proud of my Dick Dietz compromise. There were plenty of good part time OFs reasonably priced so I didn't feel the need to compete for more full timers. Had to downgrade Mays to complete the roster, not a big downgrade but it makes my #2 selection look questionable. The $20M restriction on pre-1920 pitchers helped me. Everyone else used up most of their quota early and I could wait until late in the draft to take my deadballers. Maybe not much of an advantage, I took cost effective pitchers and there's a good chance nobody else wanted them anyway.

$120M Anything Goes
     Easiest theme of the bunch. Maddux was an obvious choice. Big Train not as obvious because he gives up the long ball but I like that he can hit. Joss is actually the weak link here but his salary mismatch is hard to pass up. Toughest choice was wether or not to select PJ. On paper it looks better to select a bevy of top RP but that doesn't always work out better in actual play. Pedro has never been that spectacular for me, he can't hit, gives up HR, and won't match up well with all the Babe Ruth's in this league. No PJ for me. I was tempted to skip the top RP too and go all out for hitting, but that gave me the $14M Lajoie and he looked too much like an albatross. So I saved $7M at 2B and chose Eck and Gagne as myalbatrosses. Elton Chamberlain and Bob Milacki were easy choices and I have the 39ip Vida Blue. All can start but I'll probably use them mostly at setup. High pitch counts for SP discourage the use of pinch hitters and in this league I want to do lots of PHing. Toney and Northrop in long relief. Carlos and Charlton join the plethora of setup men or wherever they are needed. 
     I have 3 Babe Ruth's in the Outfield. Yes I know HR will be supressed but he is still the best. Foxx and Schmidt add to the power, getting revenge against the Martinez teams. King Kelly is the best hitting catcher and I don't imagine there will be many speed teams here. SS was a tough choice, I've always liked Honus Wagners normalized hitting though his glove is inconsistant it's not normally too bad. Sticking with Lajoie the'03 version with a ton of + plays, backed up by Doran. and 3 good pinch hitters. 

11/26/2015 1:53 PM (edited)
Great writeup.  Hope others follow your lead and post here.
11/26/2015 1:11 PM
On the eve of Round 2, here are my notes on the team building exercises. Having re-examined my teams and some of the competition, I am absolutely assured that I have 24th place completely locked up.
$60M  “Weak and Worthless”  
Offense: .255/.353/.383    152/188 SB
Pitching: 2.93/1.13/.250 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.49 HR/9    1314 IP
     I’m not sure if I’ve ever built a $60M team before so I “wisely” put it off until last. After playing around with the theme rules I reached a few conclusions. First, at this cap, I wanted a modern offense. Second, my fielding was going to be crap. Third, it didn’t seem possible to get any power at the plate without sacrificing more OBA than I wanted. Fourth, the 1800s could supply low quality, high IP. So there you go. Weeks, Zobrist, Mclemore, Sheffield, Damon and Abreu provided OBA and high SB percentage. Deacon White gave me a cheap, high PA third baseman. The pitching is anchored by Gus Krock and Cy Young (not one of his better seasons). Frank Killen and Wang are the swing men. The back of the pen is mediocre but then so is everything else. I put the whole mess into SBC Park (to suppress HR) and I’m keeping my fingers crossed. Overall, I’m short on quantity (both PAs and IPs), but I hope to make up for that with low quality. It’s hard to be optimistic with that plan, but maybe everyone else built crappy teams too. A girl can hope anyway…   
$80M  “Old Dodgers Never Die”  
Offense: .278/.379/.402    369/471 SB
Pitching: 2.51/1.03/.227 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.63 HR/9    1347 IP
  I try not to over think things, but since I’m basically an idiot, that’s one of my big problems on this site. With deadball pitching out, I thought about the best modern starters for this cap and I came up with Maddux, Pedro, Lowe, Kevin Brown and Tudor. Guess what they have in common. All played with the Dodgers at one time. The more I looked at this franchise, the more I liked it. To fit the cap, I dropped Brown and Lowe became Doyle Alexander. My lineup includes Abreu (he’s one of my favorites), Henderson, Eric Davis, Paul Waner, Max Carey, Roy Cullenbine, Furcal, Willie Randolph and Gary Carter. Not a lot of power, but good OBA and tons of stolen bases. The weak point on this team is the bullpen. After Wilhelm and Broxton there isn’t much quality. But I’ll probably never have a late inning lead anyway. Aside from the Anything Goes theme, this was the easiest to build, for me anyway.
$90M  “2008 Mixed Up Dodgers”  
Offense: .294/.390/.493    103/143 SB     189 HR
Pitching: 2.40/1.00/.215 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.54 HR/9    1344 IP
    From the easiest theme to the hardest... I knew it would be tough so I tackled it first. This was a nightmare. Usually I build two or three different teams, often from different eras and see how they look with all the sacrifices necessary to fit the cap. I started with the 1928 Athletics with Cobb, Speaker, Collins, etc. It would have been pretty good if the cap had been higher. As it was, the roster was just too small to make the puzzle pieces fit and there wasn’t enough pitching for my taste. After messing with that one for about two weeks, I was so frustrated I decided to build a modern team with a big roster. Those of you who used early 20th century rosters, my hat’s off to you. When I decided on a modern team, I knew I wanted the 2008 Dodgers. I don’t know if it will be a great team in this theme, but it was a great choice for a frustrated owner. I noticed it was a popular choice too. My starters are Maddux, Pedro, Johan Santana and Kershaw. My pen consists of Kuo, Lowe, Saito, Moylan, Wade and Rivera. My lineup is serviceable … Abreu (him again), Manny and Berkman are my outfield. Klesko, Kent, Furcal and Chipper Jones are the infield. There’s no bench at all. This may not work but I honestly don’t care. When I finally finished it, I entered it immediately so I would not be tempted to tear it down and start over.  
$100M  “No Padres, No Hope”
Offense: .291/.378/.463    155/216 SB      188 HR
Pitching: 2.33/0.97/.205 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.62 HR/9    1424 IP
I had the 23rd draft slot. Since the first 22 picks were starting pitchers, I had the choice of the 23rd best SP or the best hitter in the draft. I’m a coward. I went with Gaylord Perry and Fritz Peterson with my first two picks. Brian picked after me and went with hitting. It’ll be interesting to see how that works out. Frankly, I’m not sure either choice was particularly promising. All things considered, my pitching is decent. I have short inning starters Roger Nelson and Bobby Bolin. Probably I’m short of innings there. My bullpen is nothing special but should work as well as most others in the league. Lou Brock leads off the offense with F. Robinson, Willie Stargell, Eddie Mathews and Jason Thompson to drive him in. My double play combo can field well and, as for their hitting…. well, they field well. There was some money for the bench to fill in the positions with limited PAs. I don’t think this is a terrible team but I don’t think it’s all that good either. I sense a .500 finish but they may surprise me. Unfortunately, if it does, I doubt it will be a pleasant surprise.
$110M  “Pirates of the Allegheny”  
Offense: .315/.409/.535    223/329 SB      217 HR
Pitching: 2.17/1.02/.211 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.29 HR/9    1409 IP
    I really enjoy these 4 team division drafts. I picked second and took Howie Camnitz to give me a 300 IP starter. When it came around to me in the next few rounds, it seemed to me that the remaining SPs were all about the same quality so I loaded up on offense. As a result, I ended up with Bonds, Wagner, Giles, Stargell, Cuyler and McCutchen. My remaining starters are low IP pitchers (Robinson, Moose, Candelaria, Beck and DeLeon). Overall, my starters are fairly comparable to my division mates. My bullpen is anchored by Gossage (133 IP) and should be competitive. Overall, I like this team a lot. I’d like to think it means that it’s going to be good, but my experience says otherwise. If the offense underperforms, it’s going to be a long season.
 $160M  “Low Scoring is Boring”  
Offense: .363/.473/625          243 HR
Pitching: 1.43/0.79/.183 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.29 HR/9    1565 IP
   I really enjoyed putting this together. It was one of the first teams I built. My offense is pretty standard. Ruth, Hornsby and Boggs are in the infield, Ruth, Delahanty and a platoon of T. Williams and Cravath in the outfield. The only original choice was Chipper Jones at shortstop. Oh, and Mauer is my catcher. The rotation is Joss, Maddux and Pedro with a mix and match of Chamberlain, Toney, Nehf and Bonham. The bullpen is Kuo, Wagner, Eck, Uehara and Burke. I don’t get any points for originality and I’d probably do better with a lineup of deadball hitters (like Cobb, Collins, O’Neill, etc.) but where’s the fun in that.
While I was writing this my teams got off to a 2-4 start; hardly auspicious. But I’m in 24th place so I can’t go any lower. That’s comforting. Good luck to all.  
11/30/2015 3:20 AM
60Mil: Nightmare Scenario

Offense: .291/.371/.417    113/206 SB
Pitching: 3.39/1.26/.249 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.53 HR/9    1281 IP

For hitting, I have lots of platoons. I wanted great arms at C since many owners like to steal gobs of bases at this level. So, Inge and Wooten are platooning at C since the old-timers didn’t have any A+ arms that were usable. 1B is a two man platoon with old-timers since fielding isn’t as important at 1B. 2B is a two man platoon with Fred Dunlap, who actually is decent in the field even as an old-timer, and another modern hitter. SS is Everth Cabrera, my only speedster, platooning with Ruben Tejada (who also helps at 2B). 3B is Geoff Blum, a modern hitter, platooning with mostly nobody (shorting myself ABs there, uh oh). OF is a combination of three old-timers and a modern hitter covering the three spots. Again, I picked old-time OFs who weren’t bad. I found that 1B and OF had some old-timers who were not complete butchers in the field, but for C, 2B, SS, and 3B, there was no way to plug in an old-timer without suffering greatly in the field.

For pitching, I found that Sadie McMahon was pretty good, and really the *only* decent starter I could find that would work at this level for the old-timers. Most everyone else on my pitching staff are modern pitchers, including Buerhle and Jerome Williams, ugh. Still, I was pleasantly surprised to see that I had more IPs than most.

My team has absolutely no power, so I put them in Busch Stadium to protect the pitchers and reduce the innings I need.

80Mil: They WERE Giants… But Not Anymore

Offense: .294/.392/.453    78/112 SB
Pitching: 2.58/1.07/.229 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.45 HR/9    1391 IP

Two of my favorite pitchers at this level, Mike Caldwell and Bob Knepper had one thing in common: They both pitched for the Giants, so it all started from there. From there, it was reasonably easy to build a team. I have lots of platoons (*again*) at C, 1B, 3B, and one OF spot. Joe Morgan can also fill in at 2B if needed, but he’s one of my OFs mostly. I’m not sure if the Giants are better or worse than other teams, but it looks like only WaitNSee also used the Giants. My guess is that all of these teams are pretty even, so it will come down to managing, so I’m likely screwed. However, it does appear that I have more innings than most everyone, so maybe I can win by outlasting everyone else? We’ll see.

90Mil: Ben Demott’s 1910 Cleveland Tribe

Offense: .309/.371/.437    186/382 SB
Pitching: 2.12/0.93/.179 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.09 HR/9    1455 IP

Well, of course I wanted to get Addie Joss, and some of the other deadballers. Of course! Unfortunately, it was really hard. I spent more time on this team than any of the others (probably like most of us). It took lots of mixing and matching and gnashing of teeth, but I finally made it fit. Having Joss and the 1917 Cicotte will be great, but I also have the ’08 Steele and the 1915 Wiltse and Falkenberg too. The 1909 Harry Krause ain’t too shabby either. My pitching looks excellent, and markedly better than most of the other teams.

But that means my hitting would suffer, right? Well, maybe not! I still was able to fit the 1917 Joe Jackson (allowing me access to Cicotte), and Duke Kenworthy, and the 1919 Peckinpaugh is a good player too. My OF is a bit suspect beyond Jackson, and I had to sacrifice Bill Bradley’s ’02 season for his much lesser ’03 season, but overall, I’m happy with this team. The raw hitting numbers seem to be about the same for the other teams too, but mine normalize better (of course the pitchers normalize in the wrong direction, so who knows…). I’m surprised there were not more deadball teams actually; there appears to be only nine of them total, and only three in the National League, and I’m the only one in my division, all of which I think (hopefully) gives me an advantage.

100Mil: No Yankees Were Good Enough

Offense: .313/.399/.508    53/81 SB
Pitching: 2.32/1.03/.208 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.58 HR/9    1485 IP

I had the 3rd pick, and felt that I needed a great pitcher. I thought Don Sutton was going to be my pick but then decided that Mike Scott was just slightly better, so I went with Scott (and Sutton went immediately after, so I hope I’m right…). My next two picks I decided to continue with pitching. I didn’t want to have to worry about getting a starter later on, especially since everyone else was clearly going for pitching with very few exceptions. At this point, with Wilbur Wood and Bill Singer as my next two selections, I had about 1000 innings of good pitching, so I figured I would be fine to pick my hitters, and nearly *all* my hitters, from then on. My first hitter I picked was Dick Dietz to fill my C spot, who is one of, if not the best hitting catchers of that era and a bargain, and I figured his noodle arm wouldn’t hurt me at this level. Following that, I picked Roberto Clemente because he seemed to be the best hitter available and his defense was decent. Then I went for my middle infield with Dick Groat and Lou Whitaker. Those two are my worst hitters, and they are pretty good (especially for middle infielders). I then went for Darrell Evans to fill 3B and decided to go with John Lowenstein who was awesome in a half-time role. Then Norm Siebern to play 1B and Sixto Lezcano to play OF. By this time, most of the relievers were gone, but I saw that Vicente Romo was still available and really the only reliever left at his level, so I picked him, and also Clint Hurdle to platoon with Lowenstein.

By now, I had filled up my hitting, pretty much, so it was just a matter of picking the middle relievers to fill in the pitching (although Gene Locklear more or less filled in the remaining OF holes I had). I left 1977 open for my last pick and it came down to the Yankees and Seattle as the last two franchises I hadn’t filled, although I could have also moved Manny Sarmiento from Cincinnati to 1977 and picked something in 1978 if necessary. The point is that I wanted lots of options for that last pick so as not to be closed out somehow. As it so happens, I had no problems and had many options to choose from. I chose Stan Thomas who as it happens, pitched for *both* the Yankees and the Mariners in 1977 so I could have chosen either version. I decided to choose the Mariners version just to stick it to the Yankees ;-).

110Mil: Giant Taco Locos

Offense: .321/.419/.506    75/149 SB
Pitching: 1.92/0.95/.200 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.41 HR/9    1419 IP

I had the 1st pick in my mini-draft, and went with Christy Mathewson, which I think was pretty obvious. My strategy in this draft was that, it appeared to me that there were plenty of hitters available for every position (I only needed one of the top 4 after all for each spot, except for OF where I needed 3 of the top 12). Pitching however was at a premium, so every one of picks for the first 9 rounds were pitchers. This got me about 900 innings of excellent pitching. In the end, my pitching appears to be the best in the division. And yet, I was still able to get plenty of good hitters, including Stanky as my 2B, and a great C platoon (yes another platoon!), and a mix and match system for 1B and OF. My 3B Sid Gordon is a bit weak, I think, but SS is pretty strong with the overpriced, but still good Aurilia. My power is not quite as good as others in my division so I put my team in the Polo Grounds to suppress the homers a bit.

160Mil: Pumpernickel Iceplant

Offense: .375/.483/.580    349/619 SB
Pitching: 1.40/0.78/.181 (ERA/WHIP/OAV)    0.27 HR/9    1568 IP

I went with the usual pitchers, Joss, Maddux, and all the great relievers. Also Elton Chamberlain and Fred Toney. Probably the only slightly questionable pitcher is Pedro Martinez, but I just think he is just too awesome to ignore, homers or not, and the homers really isn’t that big a problem (his HR/9+ rate is still excellent).

For hitters: C is King Kelly. There is no better hitting C and his defense isn’t a problem at this level. 1B is Roger Connor, 2B is Nap Lajoie, 3B is John McGraw backed up by part-time player, and I have Ruth, Williams, and Mantle in the OF, all with some of their best years. Nothing unusual about this. SS was the toughest position to decide on, and I went with the ’05 Wagner for the defense and great normalized numbers.

All of the teams are of course pretty similar. I think it will all come down to managing (and perhaps luck).
11/30/2015 8:32 PM (edited)
"I chose Stan Thomas who as it happens, pitched for *both* the Yankees and the Mariners in 1977 so I could have chosen either version. I decided to choose the Mariners version just to stick it to the Yankees ;-)."

LMFAO
12/1/2015 9:51 AM
Here are my thoughts on my teams…..

60 MIL:
I do not like 60 mil caps.  It is such a grind to create a team I can stomach with enough ABs and IPs that it ends up being a chore rather than enjoyable.  The theme rules made it somewhat interesting though as we didn’t get the benefit of the standard deadball pitchers at a low cap.  Starting with pitching first I knew the the mid to late 1890s pitchers would provide some value due to normalization and I took a couple high 200 IP guys (Nops and Donahue) that I could lean on if fatigue becomes an issue.  I wanted to ensure I had above 1300ip as I suffered major fatigue in round 1 in the lower caps and it really impacted my results there.  Nothing else really interesting to say about the pitching.  On the hitting side I put together a balanced lineup – some speed, some power, walks, A glove at SS.  Seems like a fairly reasonable team but will probably be my worst.  Doesn’t help that brian and disco are in my division (yankees07 is no slouch either).

80 MIL:

I really enjoyed this theme and created about 10 different teams using a different franchise for each.  I would like to see how this theme would play out at a higher cap though as at 80 mil you are really just searching for as many cookies as you can find and are restricted from really mining franchises for stars.  I picked the Dodgers mainly because they fit so much of what I look for in an 80 mil team.  Reasonably priced A+ arm catcher (’75 Carter), plenty of stolen base cookies (Henderson, Carey, Lofton, Rollins) and a lot of walks/high obp (Blue and Stanky).  Rollins and Carey also brought along very good gloves from a fielding and range perspective.  I shied away from homers even though the restriction on deadball pitching was somewhat conducive to going in that direction.  On the pitching side I initially had a great rotation with ’85 Tudor.  Once I submitted my team I realized I had a Kevin Brown from the Dodgers on my staff so I had to restructure my team and ended up losing Tudor.  The staff isn’t as good as I had originally hoped but should be sufficient at this cap in Dodgers Stadium.  ’00 Maddux, ’81 Sutton, ’02 Lowe and ’20 Luque are my four man staff and as long as they perform as I hope this team will do fine.

90 MIL:

Another theme I really enjoyed.  The extra “twist” of bringing along a teammate provided for nearly endless enjoyable research.  I knew I wanted a dead ball era team right away due to the pitching and value therein so I didn’t even bother looking at teams beyond 1919.  The downside to this time period is that the rosters were mostly pretty small allowing for very few options especially from a scrub perspective.  I made about 8-10 rosters and in the end it came down to the 1909 Boston Red Sox and the 1917 Boston Braves.  I really liked the Red Sox pitching but I felt the 1917 Braves team had substantially better hitting along with pitching that was almost as high end.  The only problem with my staff is that I’m going to be relying heavily on only 6 pitchers with 2 other non-mop ups accounting for only around 80 IP combined.  Those 6 are very, very solid though with ’05 Reulbach, ’19 Alexander, ’06 Walsh, ’06 White and ’19 Nehf.  If I can manage the innings properly they should keep me in most games.  On the hitting side a lot of the pieces ended up fitting well together.  1911 Chief Myers brought along ’11 Art Wilson giving me the right amount of PA at catcher with great stats.  1912 Heinie Zimmerman is a favourite of mine as he always seems to perform well in the sim.  ’14 Cravath and ’14 Magee provide great slugging and on-base from the year they played.  Frank Chance at 1B from 1905 has amazing normalized stats but his PAs are a little low.  Luckily I was able to get a fairly cheap Fred Snodgrass who will be able to fill in the remaining 100 or so PAs.  One of the issues with this era is trying to find a SS who won’t kill you with his glove.  I am hoping that 1919 Rabbit Maranville with his excellent range will make up for his average fielding percentage.  Of all my teams, I think this one is the best – with the caveat on whether I can manage the IP effectively.

100 MIL:

My strategy in this draft was the following: 1) Don’t worry about overspending as it will be tough to reach the 100 mil cap. 2) Don’t worry about years or teams through the first half of the draft – just get the players I want. 3) Lean towards high homerun hitters as the theme restrictions will make it very difficult to supress the homerun – similarly, target low hr/9 pitches if at all possible. 4) Target positions with very few high end players such as SS/3B/2B near the beginning of the draft.  5) Don’t worry about flexibility when choosing players in terms of being able to use different versions, the final 1/3 of the draft will be used for fitting in the puzzle pieces by which time most of my important players will be drafted anyway. 

I think this strategy worked very well and I believe I have an elite team.  The only time I was really thrown off during the draft was when I was ready to take Mike Caldwell with my 2nd round pick but NappyRootz took him right in front of me.  I ended up taking Rico Petrocelli instead and looking back it may have worked out in my favour anyway.  I ended up with the best SS in the draft (in my opinion) and I took Larry Gura in the next round as my No. 2 who should provide comparable numbers to Caldwell. 

110 MIL:

When I found out my division was drafting from the Giants I obviously wanted the number 1 pick as I feel Mathewson is far and away the best pitcher available.  Unfortunately I ended up picking 3rd and was fairly happy that Joe McGinnity was still available to eat 400+ high quality innings.  My focus remained on pitching for the early rounds as I felt there was a definite dearth of the highest quality available.  Meanwhile rbow was taking all the great hitters, which bothered me somewhat, so I decided to take a different approach on the hitting side.  There were still plenty of very good hitters left but I decided my focus would be a very high range team – something I felt would be quite successful at this cap (I also didn’t shy away too much from homerun hitters given the deadball restriction).  My entire infield is A+ range along with 1.5 outfielders.  If the range I have impacts the pitching staff as I hope, my hitting should be more than sufficient to win plenty of games.  So far I have had some fatigue issues despite drafting 1415+ innings and having Seals as my home park – if it doesn’t hamper me too much this team should contend strongly for a playoff spot.

160 MIL:

I wasn’t too sure what to do with this cap and flexibility as it is kind of foreign to me. I figured I would start with pitching and go from there.  I identified ’94 and ’95 Maddux as being musts.  I decided on ’00 Pedro and ’13 Johnson despite their high homer rate to round out my starting pitching.  Their normalized whips were too great to pass up and I didn’t feel as confident with the standard great deadballers (Joss, Walsh, Alexander, etc..) as I did with them given the cap.  Those deadballers should be somewhat prone to all the high .300 and .400 hitters they would have to face.  After that it was just rounding out a bullpen while getting enough innings and being as cost-effective as possible to load up on hitting.  I ended up with 1531 IP for about 70 mil which left me with plenty to have fun with on the hitting side.  As it turns out, I spent the 9th most on pitching – which is close to the middle I suppose but concerning enough to me that I potentially spent too much there.  On the hitting side I was at first thinking to go with a speed and range team but quickly realized I wouldn’t spend nearly enough money going that route.  So I decided to stay mindful of infield defence while splurging in the outfield where most of the big bats were anyway.  I have a lot of common names – nothing unique here – my focus was lots of XBHs and to stick them in a highly negative homer park to help out Pedro and Big Train. 

I am very confident in my teams.  Having said that, the quality of competition in the second round is extremely high, even more so this year it seems – so I wouldn’t be surprised by anything.  Thank you to schwarze for running a great championship as always and in particular this year given you didn’t make round 2 – not many people would stay as on top of things as you did.  It is much appreciated from my end.
12/7/2015 4:24 PM
Another great writeup.  I hope others add their comments.  It's not too late.
12/7/2015 6:06 PM
My roster selection, to sum it up, suffers from what it did the second time I entered this tournament. I just didn't spend enough time challenging my ideas for the non-live-draft themes. It's really time consuming to do this tournament. Yet more, to choose second and third lineups, to see if one might project better than what he first constructs.  I may post some notes in this space about my teams later on, maybe for a grin or a smirk.
My current guess is there are two clear front-runners (but we'll see) and of those, one appears the favorite. Neither is me. 
12/10/2015 8:10 AM (edited)
My strategy apparently, was to come into this tournament grossly inexperienced of late in high salary cap themes, in order to fail at them, and thus avoid winning the championship.
1/21/2016 12:02 PM
$60 Million: First 15 / Last 15 97W-65L at Target Field (HR LF/RF:-4/-4 1B:0 2B:1 3B:1)

Position players:
This is the first team I built for round 2 WISC. My plan was to create a speed team with high batting avg. Therefore, Chone Figgins 04 is a must; Brandon Inge 04, Luis Castillo 07 and Omar Vizquel 04 are the cookies that cannot miss. The 19-century players tend to have good range and bad fielding, which are not harmful to 1B and outfield defense. So it would be OK to have a 19-century 1B and two 19-century outfielders in my team. I planned to draft about 5300 PAs and ended up with 5310 PAs. I selected Target Field (HR LF/RF:-4/-4 1B:0 2B:1 3B:1) as my home park because of the following reasons: 1. My position players can hit a lot of doubles and triples. 2. They do not have enough PAs. 3. They cannot hit homers.

Pitching:
Innings are expensive in low-caps leagues. So I decided to go with ~1330 innings --- ~950 innings from 3-4 SPs, ~200 quality innings from 4-5 RPs, and 200 innings from mopups. My experience told me that sometimes mopups perform well in low-caps leagues. This is why I am not afraid of using them in regular season. CM Wang 05 is the first SP I selected because he has the best cost-performance value under 24,000 $/IPs. Then I selected Deacon Phillippe 99 because he is a great SP under 24,000 $/IPs. I selected Jesse Tannehill 99 because I wanted a cheap lefty who can eat innings. Finally I used the rest of the budget to get my 4th SP Pud Galvin 85 and build the bullpen.

Hitting Stats: 5310 PAs, .280 avg, .339 obp, .382 slg, 242 SBs @ 66.3%, $30.65M
Pitching Stats: 1330 IPs, 3.46 era, .272 oav, 1.30 whip, 0.32 hr/9, $29.33 M

$90 Million: Twist Twelve plus Teammates 97W-65L at Polo Grounds (V) (HR LF/RF:-1/-1 1B:-1 2B:3 3B:0)

This is the second team I built for round 2 WISC. My strategy for this theme is simple. First, I wanted a team that enables decent pre-1920 deadball pitchers. Second, it would be better if the team enables some decent post-1920 position players. So I decided to go with a Cubs or Giants team in the season between1907 to 1924. Eventually I found 1913 Cubs and 1922 Giants. The key players of my 1913 Cubs team includes Cy Williams 20, Frank Schulte 11, Johnny Evers 12, Dave Bancroft 20, Fred Toney 18, Mordecai Brown 06, Jack Pfiester 06, and Ed Reulbach 05. Sorry I can’t remember all the details of the team. My 1922 Giants team is listed below:

1922 New York Giants - Kelly, George
1929 Chicago Cubs - Jonnard, Claude, 1929 Chicago Cubs - Moore, Johnny
1925 Pittsburgh Pirates - Smith, Earl, 1925 Pittsburgh Pirates - Carey, Max
1921 New York Giants - Frisch, Frankie, 1921 New York Giants - Youngs, Ross
1921 Philadelphia Phillies - Meusel, Irish, 1921 Philadelphia Phillies - Keenan, Jimmie
1920 New York Giants -Bancroft, Dave, 1920 New York Giants -Hubbell, Bill
1920 Cincinnati Reds -Groh, Heinie, 1920 Cincinnati Reds -Napier, Buddy
1919 New York Giants -Nehf, Art, 1919 New York Giants -McCarty, Lew
1919 Chicago Cubs - Robertson, Dave, 1919 Chicago Cubs - Alexander, Pete
1918 Pittsburgh Pirates - Hill, Carmen, 1918 Pittsburgh Pirates - Boone, Lute
1918 Chicago Cubs - Douglas, Phil, 1918 Chicago Cubs - Vaughn, Hippo
1918 New York Giants -Toney, Fred, 1918 New York Giants -Sallee, Slim
1914 Cincinnati Reds -Rawlings, Johnny, 1914 Cincinnati Reds -Mollwitz, Fritz

I rated and analyzed the two teams:
1913 Cubs: A++ SP, B+ BP, B in-field def, B+ outfield def, A- offense (good OPS), B+ speed
1922 Giants: A- SP, A+ BP, A in-field def, B outfield def, A offense, A speed

The 1922 Giants team is a better choice. I believe this team can beat my 100M and 110M teams.

Hitting Stats: 5719 PAs, .312 avg, .368 obp, .439 slg, 187 SBs @ 65.6%, $45.57M
Pitching Stats: 1444 IPs, 2.02 era, .223 oav, 1.02 whip, 0.17 hr/9, $44.41 M

$80 Million: Used to Play For  86W-76L at AT&T Park (HR LF/RF:-3/-3 1B:1 2B:0 3B:2)

I knew it takes time to build a good team for this theme. Too bad I just did not have time to try many possibilities. Therefore I decided not to spend much time on this theme. I went with Giants directly because many cookies such as Gary Carter 75, Omar Vizquel 99, and Willie McGee 90 are legal Giants players. Then I searched some other candidates to fill the holes. I planned to have 1400 IPs and 5500 PAs and eventually got 1401 IPs and 5571 PAs.

Hitting Stats: 5571 PAs, .298 avg, .368 obp, .416 slg, 212 SBs @ 68.8%, $38.96M
Pitching Stats: 1401 IPs, 2.63 era, .230 oav, 1.08 whip, 0.42 hr/9, $41.04 M

$160 Million: Anything Goes  105W-57L at Municipal Stadium (HR LF/RF:-4/-4 1B:1 2B:3 3B:3)

I won several championships and TOCs at this level of caps. So it is really easy for me to put up a good team. At this cap, high pitching K/9#, low OAV#, low WHIP#, low HR/9# are preferable since they reduce team runs-allowed. High defensive range of position players is preferable for the same reason. I usually choose a hitter-friendly park that does not allow many homers. This is where the super-range players benefit your team the most. I prefer position players with high ba#, high obp# and low K# at this cap. Those players usually produce enough runs to win a lot of games. I seldom draft high ops# players such as Babe Ruth and Barry Bonds at this cap. I like to have them at a cap of 200m or more. They are expensive at a 160-cap league.

Hitting Stats: 6150 PAs, .377 avg, .439 obp, .541 slg, 504 SBs @ 58.5%, $85.88M
Pitching Stats: 1571.7 IPs, 1.44 era, .172 oav, 0.78 whip, 0.31 hr/9, $74.11 M

$110M Six Drafts: Cubs 
82W-80L at West Side Grounds (HR LF/RF:-1/0 1B:0 2B:0 3B:0)

Cubs got plenty of quality pre-1920 pitchers and a small number of quality post-1920 pitchers. The problem is that we couldn’t have as many pre-1920 pitchers as possible due to the special deadball pitching rule. So this is bad news for Cubs teams. Another bad news for Cubs is that they have few quality left-handed hitters. I anticipated the lineups of my division mates would consist of 5-8 right-handed sluggers, while others would consist of less right-handed hitters. This means my team would be crushed by my division mates if I drafted too many innings from left-handed pitchers, or crushed by others if not enough innings. My strategy is simple: 1. Use 20M on pre-1920 pitchers wisely. 2. Take quality left-handed hitters if possible. 3. Take high BA hitters. 4. Take pitchers with low HR/9#.

To this end I went with Pete Alexander '19 (R) and Jack Pfiester '06 (L) with my first two picks. Their salary is about 18.26M, which means I can have another deadball releiver. My division mates are very smart. They knew the values of the quality post-1920 SPs and took all of them with their first two picks. So I was forced to take an inning eater Claude Passeau '40 (R) with my third pick. Since Cubs have limited quality SS (less than four), I took Charlie Hollocher '22 with my fourth pick. Then I followed my strategy to finish the drafts.

Hitting Stats: 6434 PAs, .320 avg, .392 obp, .486 slg, 180 SBs @ 55.7%, $59.77M
Pitching Stats: 1532 IPs, 2.14 era, .210 oav, 1.04 whip, 0.31 hr/9, $50.20 M

$100M Silver Anniversary Franchise Soup Draft 81W-81L at Municipal Stadium (HR LF/RF:-4/-4 1B:1 2B:3 3B:3)

My strategy was to draft 750-900 IPs from SPs with my first 3 picks and then to draft position players and relievers. I wanted to get the hitters with plenty of doubles/triples and good defense, such as George Brett, Willie McGee, and Paul Molitor. I planed to put them in a ballpark that increases the probability of doubles and triples. Unfortunately, my strategy did not work well. The reasons could be: 1. Most people drafted SPs with their first 3-4 picks and thus I didn’t get any benefit from drafting pitchers with my first three picks. 2. Most people chose 3b-negative ballparks and/or homerun-positive ballparks, which weakened the value of my hitters. 

To conclude, the team was not good enough to get into the playoffs.

Hitting Stats: 5753 PAs, .301 avg, .361 obp, .450 slg, 203 SBs @ 68.4%, $51.35M
Pitching Stats: 1504 IPs, 2.07 era, .203 oav, 1.03 whip, 0.56 hr/9, $48.61 M

2/5/2016 2:16 AM (edited)
Roster Selection Strategies Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.