Owners who back out of random leagues Topic

One quick question: Should we keep a list of owners who get assigned a team in a random league and then decide they either don't like the team or can't make a "great" team with their assigned team and then do not enter that league?  This happens often and delays the start of these leagues.  

My feeling is that if you join a league and get assigned a team, you need to stick with that team unless that league allows for one do-over pick.

Feel free to post your opinions and if you all feel that this is a significant problem, then let's keep a list of these owners.
12/13/2015 3:09 PM
That's a great idea.  Keep a list.  There may be a legitimate reason, but by keeping a list, you will see if the same people show up.  List the nature of the theme, the commish, the owner who bailed, the date and the reason
12/14/2015 11:51 AM
I agree. I have not ever been a commissioner but have been in over 540 leagues.  I have bailed only twice on a league.  Once was a progressive league and I got fed up with the commissioner bending the rules after teams were built and the other was becuase the commissioner disappeared for over  6 weeks after the league was filled. Otherwise unless there are unexpected medical or personal reasons not associated with WIS there is absolutely no reason an owner bails after he commits to a league.

Being in this many leagues, I like many others shutter when I see certain names joining the leagues because you know they will bail or take forever to join.  Thus delaying the start of leagues.  I would love a commissioner to say sorry to certain owners we don't need the aggravation of waiting for you delaying the start of the league.  With a list like this I would think administration could help police this situation.

The beauty of WIS is the competition created by the excellence of many owners.  It is more special when you finally win a division, league or TOC against this type of competition.  The challenges of making teams without the best draws is fun in itself.  These people who only play when the draws go there ways aren't really the type we need in these leagues.  

12/14/2015 2:28 PM
god forbid a guy should change his name
12/16/2015 5:57 AM
If someone changes the ID name, then there is nothing to be done about that.  We can only do what we can do.
12/16/2015 10:36 AM
the smart azz answer to the original poster is, why would you create a league that has teams that you know ahead of time have no chance, and assign these teams under a "random" concept?   It seems like you would be creating your own problem and then blaming others for not ponying up the $10.95/$13.95 to play.  This problem can be solved via better designed league concepts that ensure everyone has a chance on day 1. 

The more serious answer is that I think the idea of calling people put for actions in what amounts to a voluntary association situation is ultimately harmful to the overall experience for everyone.  It hurts the whatif experience because it is difficult enough to get people to join the experience as it stands-- how  many posts have you read in theme leagues about back in the day this would have filled in a day?  People don't want to join when they aren't sure of the in/out's and with the added threat of if you don't play my way then i'm putting you on a list keeps some individuals from joining in the first place.  Others of us get excited about a theme, join, create a team and then have to wait a month for it to start.  Some lose interest in that month and creating lists is not the solution to getting leagues filled in a timely manner. 

I think the better question is how can those of us who enjoy theme/progressive leagues get more people involved in the whatif experience. 
1/1/2016 11:49 AM
mike-There are some random season twist leagues where some teams may have less chance for that season but the fun with those leagues is the continuing long term participation in that league's seasons.  If you sign up for a random league, you stick with the team you draw.
1/28/2016 11:23 PM
If the rules are laid out correctly then every owner who signs up knows the risk involved and backing out because you don't get a top team is bullshat IMO, if that's your plan maybe upon signup you should state the fact that you feel there are certain teams that don't stand a chance in winning and if you happen to draw one of those teams you're out. At least the commish knows ahead of time how you feel, honesty is the best way to go.
2/5/2016 5:39 PM
jkorn-- I agree that if it is a progressive leagie one should play the first season and if you don't like it then fine, you bow out for season two by giving the commissioner plenty of notice. But that shame list already exists.

If we are, howver, talking about a theme league I stand by original thoughts.
2/13/2016 7:05 AM

I tend to agree with Mike a little here... I think the correct answer is to have a better designed theme, if you're worried about people bowing out. Also - I've had to cancel out of a draft league (before the draft), because of a family illness. Sh*t happens. How would you decipher the real problems from fake problems?

Heck, I never would join a league like this without a better design... If someone draws the 98 Yankees, and you're stuck with a team that wouldn't even cover 50mil worth of players, than that's a little screwed up on the Theme Owners part. If you're having a problem with a player consistently signing up and bouncing out, than exclude them from your theme. You shouldn't be attempting to sabotage others' reputation because they upset you by quitting.

The "this person made me mad, and now his name is on a list forever" is just kind of silly to me. There's better ways to handle it.

2/18/2016 10:50 AM
Owners who back out of random leagues Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.