Time To Dump the Save Statistic Topic

Posted by bad_luck on 1/22/2016 1:03:00 PM (view original):
And anyway, you seem to take it as gospel that most set up guys throw partial innings at a higher rate than closers. Maybe. I grabbed the Pirates' set up closer combo and found this:

Watson 77 games 75.1 IP
Melancon 78 games 76.2 IP

Yankees:

Betances 74 games 84 IP
Miller 60 games 61.2 IP

Those are just two examples but they get right to dahs' point. Those pitchers are all high level guys. In general, it's probably a good idea to use your best reliever in the highest leverage situation, but in the case of those two teams, it might make more sense to leave them in the roles they are comfortable in. It's not like there is much drop off in the quality of the pitchers.
You know what? I'm wrong. RA9 doesn't include inherited runners. I thought it did. My bad.
1/22/2016 1:12 PM
Can we all agree that a guy who enters the game to pitch the 9th with a 3-run lead should NEVER get a save?
1/22/2016 3:36 PM
Just for historical perspective, I wouldn't change the definition of a save.  I think over time they will start to add less value to contracts, though...
1/22/2016 5:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Tying run has to be at the plate.  
1/22/2016 6:57 PM
Keep it as is, up to managers to not put so much emphasis on a closer
1/22/2016 8:49 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 1/22/2016 8:49:00 PM (view original):
Read the thread.  There are external forces to the manager which essentially "forces" the manager to emphasize a closer.  If he wants to keep his job, that is.
1/22/2016 10:29 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/22/2016 10:29:00 PM (view original):
Read the thread.  There are external forces to the manager which essentially "forces" the manager to emphasize a closer.  If he wants to keep his job, that is.
I've been here the whole thread. But that's my final opinion on it. GM hired you to win, it's agents that want saves. **** Scott Boras and agents everywhere, they don't tell you what to do.
1/23/2016 12:40 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 1/23/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):
I've been here the whole thread. But that's my final opinion on it. GM hired you to win, it's agents that want saves. **** Scott Boras and agents everywhere, they don't tell you what to do.
So you're of the opinion that GM's and team management don't sometimes cater to public opinion, i.e. the voice of the fans and/or the media?

You're so cute.

1/23/2016 2:09 PM
Saves are clutch
1/24/2016 1:02 AM
Posted by Coach_Nate on 1/24/2016 1:02:00 AM (view original):
Saves are clutch
Yup, nothing says "clutch" like getting the 7-8-9 hitters out with nobody on base and a 3-run lead.
1/26/2016 9:41 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 1/23/2016 2:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 1/23/2016 12:40:00 PM (view original):
So you're of the opinion that GM's and team management don't sometimes cater to public opinion, i.e. the voice of the fans and/or the media?

You're so cute.

Evidently you're not an Orioles fan. This seems to be the first year I can remember when it seems they've actually listened to the cry of the fans and taken it seriously. Last offseason was an epic disaster.
2/12/2016 5:36 PM
I'd say this offseason was an epic disaster.  We signed Davis to a contract he can't possibly live up to, failed to extend or trade Machado, and put together the most expensive squad in franchise history with still almost no chance of seeing a World Series.
2/12/2016 5:49 PM
Trade Machado? What kind of crack are you smoking? I'd like some
2/13/2016 12:48 AM
Most Orioles fans are stupid.  You don't even realize that the reason the team lost for 14 consecutive seasons was because Angelos refused to let them rebuild and kept trying to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox year in and year out.  The first half of that losing streak the Orioles were still amongst the top few teams in terms of payroll.  They just never built enough home-grown talent for a core to win with.  Finally Angelos ceded meaningful control of the team to MacPhail to allow an actual rebuild.  You were probably with the majority of fans who were mad at MacPhail for trading away the team's best player at the time (Bedard).  The pieces from that trade alone formed much of the core that ended the losing streak.

If you can't extend Machado, he should be traded.  The longer you wait, the less value he brings back.  I don't see the Orioles contending for a World Series before he hits free agency without an extension.  Keith Law just ranked the Orioles farm system 27th in baseball, and frankly, that might be generous.  The wave of talent it will take to build the next good Orioles team isn't even in the system yet.  I highly doubt Chris Davis will be a valuable contributor to that team, so there's really no reason to pay him a big pile of money.  If you were going to spend that, I'd have spent it on Heyward, who's young, and working on a Machado extension.  As it is, the rebuild probably has to come sooner or later, and the only tradeable assets in the organization are Machado and Jones.  Maybe Britton.
2/13/2016 4:57 AM
◂ Prev 1...7|8|9|10|11...13 Next ▸
Time To Dump the Save Statistic Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.