DRAFT 'EM ALL LEAGUE (Done Drafting) Topic

Posted by SouthHeat on 2/4/2016 9:23:00 PM (view original):
Used to go to Vero Beach for Spring Training each year. Loved being able to move around between 4 different fields. In 1987 or 1988 I stumbled upon a Dodger class A/rookie league game while the big guys were playing in Holman Stadium. While watching that game an older man walked up to me and introduced himself as let's say Bill (really do not remember his first name) turns out to be the father of Orel . We were among maybe 5 fans watching. Anyway after speaking with him for a half hour up walks Orel from the clubhouse which was right behind us. Mr Hershiser introduces Orel to me and then I realize who we are watching pitch was Gordie, of course Orel's brother. Nicest folks even asked me to have dinner after Gordie played . I bowed out gracefully not wanting to intrude, I think Mr. Hershiser was just being himself.
Dude, I live in Vero Beach!
2/4/2016 9:27 PM
Used to go to Vero Beach for Spring Training each year. Loved being able to move around between 4 different fields. In 1987 or 1988 I stumbled upon a Dodger class A/rookie league game while the big guys were playing in Holman Stadium. While watching that game an older man walked up to me and introduced himself as let's say Bill (really do not remember his first name) turns out to be the father of Orel . We were among maybe 5 fans watching. Anyway after speaking with him for a half hour up walks Orel from the clubhouse which was right behind us. Mr Hershiser introduces Orel to me and then I realize who we are watching pitch was Gordie, of course Orel's brother. Nicest folks even asked me to have dinner after Gordie played . I bowed out gracefully not wanting to intrude, I think Mr. Hershiser was just being himself.
I'm a Los Angeles guy.  Been a Bulldog fan since I was a puppy.
2/4/2016 9:32 PM
No kidding roadhouse............I sure miss that the LADS having gone west for spring. I always thought it was by far my favorite spring baseball experiences came in that small town . I would usually go down for a week and take in as much baseball as I could while having beer's in the evening sometimes with a few of the Dodgers . Mickey Hatcher was usually not hard to find in the Vero night life .
2/4/2016 9:32 PM
Great story, and great memory.  Lots of fun memories in that laid back atmosphere of Spring Training.  I'll share one of mine too if you guys don't mind.....

I was with my dad at a Pirates-Yankees game in Bradenton, FL around 1978 or 79.  Got a number of autofraphs including one from a young Yankee lefty that I doubt will get drafted here so I will say, named Larry Gura.  The one big name I didn't get was Barry Bonds dad.  In the parking lot after the game, I see the Yankee bus with players on it waiting for everyone to get on the bus to leave.  I handed my autograph book up thru a windoe and asked the guy to pass it to Mr Bonds to sign.  He said he would, and handed it back.  I look at the page I had held open, and it was acutally LARRY GURA who signed it AGAIN and not Bonds lol.  I was so disappointed, but Gura ended up being pretty good himself lol.  I have another story about that game but I can't discuss it because the player probably will  be drafted here
2/4/2016 9:33 PM
Posted by SouthHeat on 2/4/2016 9:32:00 PM (view original):
No kidding roadhouse............I sure miss that the LADS having gone west for spring. I always thought it was by far my favorite spring baseball experiences came in that small town . I would usually go down for a week and take in as much baseball as I could while having beer's in the evening sometimes with a few of the Dodgers . Mickey Hatcher was usually not hard to find in the Vero night life .
Yup.  I been living here since 2004.  I delivered a pizza to Rick Monday once.  I asked him about his hr vs Montreal that put LA in the series.  He was pretty cool about it.  He talked about how cold it was and that they just wanted to get out of there.

Oddly enough, I saw an interview with him on MLB Network not long after I met him and he was asked about that hr.  His reply was almost word-for-word what he said to me.

Yeah, Vero's been kinda scuffling since the Dodgers left.  They've been trying to get a team to come here but no luck.  The facilities are now used by high school and college teams that come down from up north.
2/4/2016 9:43 PM
Speaking of Vero and baseball stories, my Dad worked at a complex with golf courses, tennis courts with condominiums all about.  It's named Grand Harbor.  Anyway, George Foster lived there for awhile along with tennis legend Ivan Lendl.

Anyway, I got to met both George and Ivan.  I even got to play tennis with George a couple of times.  He was a really cool guy.  He shared some of his MLB experiences with me and I thought that was really cool because I had never met a great MLB player before.  Lol, I told him that I read all the Reds boxscores in 1977 when he finished with 52 bombs.  He got a real kick out of that.
2/4/2016 9:49 PM
Mr black bat. To me George is a lot like Jose Bautista on the stages of their careers. Both started very slowly and then in one season all hell breaks loose for them . Many memories of George walking to the plate with his signature black bat . Those Red teams were awesome .
2/4/2016 10:34 PM
I'm probably in the minority but I think Hershiser is a HOF'er. The fact he fell off the ballot after 2 tries is pathetic.
2/4/2016 10:38 PM
I met George Foster a decade or so ago when he came to a Rochester Red Wings game for a public appearance.  Met him in the media press box, looking like a normal guy, wearing a golf shirt.  I was surprised how normal he was, instead of the big, awe-inspiring guy standing in a batters box.  He was still in good shape but he couldn't have been more than 6'1 pr 2 and 200 pounds.  He always looked so imposting to me when he played so it was surprising to see him in the flesh
2/4/2016 11:28 PM
Could not agree more Worms.
2/5/2016 12:15 AM
I finally got around to adding a "POSITION PLAYERS DRAFTED by position" post on page one.  Please DO NOT use that instead of the alpha list!!!  I will only be updating that every few rounds.
2/5/2016 1:25 AM
You are doing a fine job amerk1180, lot of work involved here.
2/5/2016 2:47 AM
I guess I'm going to take Red Rolfe, 3B
2/5/2016 6:16 AM
P - Rafael Betancourt
2/5/2016 8:14 AM
1B Johnny Mize
2/5/2016 9:08 AM
◂ Prev 1...43|44|45|46|47...66 Next ▸
DRAFT 'EM ALL LEAGUE (Done Drafting) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.