D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Want to give props to your brilliant draft strategy, or dis someone else's?  Are you shocked that a specific player lasted so long before being drafted, or want to commend someone for getting a steal in the draft?  

This is the forum to do it.  Only two rules:

1.  NO MENTIONING ANY PLAYERS NOT DRAFTED YET!!!  and

2.  NO PERSONAL ATTACKS!!!

Lets keep it fun and professional guys!
1/25/2016 6:22 PM
patco_1981 team.... keeping tabs of my drafted players and which pick they were drafted, year I'm using & salary plus backup positions

after 25 picks- 195.9 mil team salary, pitchers salary 94.6 mil, hitters salary 101.3 mil

P- (1) 1913 Walter Johnson 16.4 mil
     (4) 1968 Dave McNally 9.7
     (5) 1991 Nolan Ryan 6.6
     (7) 1910 Jack Coombs 14.1
     (9) 1965 Hoyt Wilhelm 5.6
    (10) 2014 Dellin Betances 4.5
    (11) 1999 Billy Wagner 4.3
    (13) 2004 Armando Benitez 3.1
    (14) 2014 Sean Doolittle 3.0
    (16) 1885 Mickey Welch 25.5

C- (3) 2006 Joe Mauer 6.6
     (22) 1912 Chief Meyers 4.7

1B- (12) 1945 Phil Cavarretta 7.0... OF
       (20) 1889 Tommy Tucker 7.2... OF
       (24) 2010 Justin Morneau 4.5

2B- (6) 1927 Frankie Frisch 8.3... SS

3B- (8) 1894 Lave Cross 7.4... C/2B/SS

SS- (2) 1936 Luke Appling 8.2

OF- (15) 1925 Harry Rice 4.7... C/1B/2B/3B
        (17) 2007 Magglio Ordonez 7.5
        (18) 1911 Sam Crawford 6.7
        (19) 1929 Riggs Stephenson 6.0
        (21) 1970 Rico Carty 6.3
        (23) 1920 Edd Roush 7.4... 1B/3B
        (25) 1930 Johnny Frederick 7.8

DH-

Ballpark-
2/10/2016 5:27 PM (edited)
Team Name: Kind of a Big Deal
Home Park: Bennett Park
Current Salary: $175 million

My $64 million worth of pitchers should (based on sim history) give me a 3.18 ERA and 1.26 WHIP for up to 1,821 innings. Across 1,500 innings, they should allow 34 HR.

SP - 1917 Eddie Cicotte (2):
HR park so keeping the ball down is a must; the last "elite" deadballer on my list at the time.
SP - 1904 Jack Chesbro (3): Passed on good hitting for 488 innings of average or better pitching.
SP - 1888 Charlie Buffinton (9): Going all in on what amounts to a four man staff. Now I need to find some hitting!
LR - 1906 Doc White (8): His best sim season is as a high frequency reliever. Maybe lighting strikes twice?
LS - 2014 Andrew Miller (15A): More HR than I would like but a nice fit for 40 or so innings here.
SU - 1944 Joe Berry (14B):
Didn't need innings with so many already, but he has been solid for me before.
CL - 1918 Jake Northrop (12):
The best 53 innings available to me. Tim Burke, why couldn't you last a few more picks???

C - 1993 Chris Hoiles (10):
A personal favorite; decent OBP and some pop, plus a cheap A+ arm. 
1B - 1939 Johnny Mize (13):
Hold, hold, HOLD! I can't believe he lasted to pick 294.
2B - 1922 Rogers Hornsby (1):
Thrilled he fell to #6 overall. Dingers in '22 likely win out over the .500 OBP in '24.
3B - 1981 Mike Schmidt (4): Tailor made 3B for my ballpark. The ideal cleanup batter to protect Rajah.
SS - 1996 Alex Rodriguez (5): Bat wins over glove, which I may regret. Right handed infield hitting for days...
LF - 1923 Ken Williams (7): Finally a lefty! Missed McCovey by two picks but Ken will slot into the #2 hole.
CF(R) - 1941 Pete Reiser (11): Sat on him for a few picks. Will be a nice #8 / #9 hitter.
RF(R) - 2010 Josh Hamilton (14A): Clean Hamilton will rake against righties. Was between him and Murcer.
DH - 1887 Pete Browning (6): Maybe the best pure leadoff hitter in the sim. More righties.

C - 1890 Buck Ewing (16B): D is average, but nice bat and uncommon speed at backup catcher.
1B(L) - 1972 Dick Allen (17A): Will man the cold corner against lefties with Mize taking the pine.
CF(L) - 2003 Milton Bradley (15B): My favorite platoon OF. A/A+ in the field and murders lefties. Will platoon with Reiser.
RF(L) - 2011 Matt Kemp (16A): Back when I rooted for him. Will also murder lefties in straight platoon with Hamilton.
2B/3B/SS - 2012 Marco Scutaro (17B): Swiss army knife.
3B/PH - 1995 Dean Palmer (17C): Will back up Schmidt. Bad glove / good bat.
2/9/2016 11:23 AM (edited)
SP - 2000 Pedro Martinez (1): If I couldn't get Ruth or Bonds, I was going with a #1 starter with my 1st pick.  Since Ruth & Bonds went 1 & 2 overall (as they should've in my opinion), I got what was is arguably the greatest pitching season of all time.  So I'm ok with that.  Plus I'm a huge BoSox fan.

SP - 1995 Randy Johnson (2): Because I took Pedro, I feel commited to going with a 5 man rotation, and Pedro's HOF inductee mate, The Big Unit, fills in beautifully as Pedro's wingman.

OF -  Mike "Don't Call Me Merv" Griffin (3): I never heard of this guy before, but after I did a search using the criteria I prioritized, this guy looks like he can be one hell of a leadoff man.

FYI, my homepark is Fenway.
1/26/2016 12:08 AM
Well I'll get the pot stirring lol, I'm not trying to offend anyone here these are just opinions on some things I've observed so far.

The way to early list, based on who was still on the board at that time :

Foxx, if taken as C...King Kelly has the biggest gap from #1 to #2 at any position out there other than Nap at 2nd base. Those of you who have picked Kelly before and thrown him into places like Hilltop or the Palace know what I'm talking about, crazy #'s from an A armed Catcher. From my experience he rarely hits the 40% CS bench mark but he hits everything else.!! If taken to play first not a bad pick but with Nap on the board and his monster season where he is good/great at either 2nd or SS I'm taking him all day over Foxx.

Maddux, he's great don't get me wrong but witth the high inning low HR/BB pitchers that were still on the board at that time (Walsh, Alexander) I felt that was jumping the gun.

I'd throw Hendrix going before Alexander, Mathewson, and Brown in as a shocker too.

Appling going before Wagner and Vaughn was odd, Wagner's '08 season was utterly amazing considering the pitching that went on that year, and Arky although only being somewhere around the C/C fielding/range area (can't remember) had an epic season offensively with crazy BB and SLG #'s to go with the high BA.

And the last guy I'll call out is Riveria (let it be known I am a huge Yankee fan) and I'm not allowed to mention guys who haven't been drafted but in my mind when it comes to RP/CL there are 2 names for sure and honestly probably more than that who should always....always go ahead of my boy Mariano!!

I look at the first 2 1/2 rounds and honestly would have taken any of the guys chosen on my team but here are some guys I feel for there draft spot were great grabs.

King Kelly not being picked first round baffled me, I couldn't pass up Walsh at #17 but seriously I was checking every 15 min to see if somehow Kelly would slip to #32 so I could snag him. (I'm a fan)

Idk why but Cobb going 20th seems like a steal to me too, his 1911 season is a owners dream if he's thinking small ball, the 2b, 3b, BA, PA combined with A+ range and massive ++ will make any owner happy. AND in case you didn't notice jbar was the guy who grabbed Kelly in the second round...they should put up insane #'s together in an offensive small ball park!!!

Touched on this earlier Wagner and even Arky (in the very thin SS group) lasted longer than I would have guessed, a lot of OF's taken so far and all great players but I feel it's by far the deepest position in the draft.

I'm probably jumping the gun on this but my top 5 teams so far would be :
1. Ruth, Vaughn (oh to have the first pick)
2. Cobb, Kelly
3. Joss, Speaker (Tris is the most UNDERATED player, the sim loves him and the most consistently dominant pitcher)
4. Williams, Wagner
5. 4 way tie just because great deadball pitching usually wins (Alexander, Ford) - (Walsh, Young) - (Mathewson, Keefe) - (King, Baldwin)

Once again just bored and trying to have some fun so if I mentioned your guy please don't get offended these are all opinions.

1/26/2016 12:59 AM (edited)
This is my first ever draft, so I don't know what to expect. I was hoping everyone would be snagging up offense so I could quickly get the best 2 SP in my opinion in Joss and Walsh (Walter is great but never performs for me). Tris just fell to far for me to pass up. Already got some sleepers in mind but don't know when to pick them. So excited to reveal them. Really sorry slainte that I ****** up but his team is my favorite so far with Ruth, Morgan, and Vaughan.
1/26/2016 1:49 AM (edited)
I couldn't believe Musial was still out there early in the 2nd round.  I came so very close to taking him at 13 instead of Mantle but opted for the Mick.  That's why I tried to trade for him so hard, offering my 2nd (11 picks later) and a 5th for the Musial pick and a 7th.  Thats a TWO round jump in talent compared to just an 11 spot drop, which seemed fair to me, but yatagon was kinda a d$#k about it.  Still, the steal of the 2nd round to me.  I was just as happy though, getting Hamilton where I did, so it all worked out.

I thought Mays going late in the 2nd was quite the steal as well.  
1/26/2016 1:12 AM
I thought Mantle would be a top 10 pick amerk1180 so you did well to snag him at #13.  Willie Mays doesn't seem to SIM well, like ever!
1/26/2016 1:22 AM
Going to keep track of my 2nd team here since my 1st team is filling up the Spring Training team!

C - PAUL LO DUCA
1B - JEFF BAGWELL
2B - EDDIE STANKY
3B - MEL OTT
SS - HOWARD JOHNSON
OF - ALBERT BELLE
OF - JESSE BURKETT
OF - TONY GWYNN
DH - TED KLUSZEWSKI
RESERVE - MARLON ANDERSON
RESERVE - SHANE SPENCER
RESERVE - YOGI BERRA
RESERVE - JOSE OQUENDO
RESERVE - RAY BLADES
RESERVE - JARROD DYSON
SP - MORDECAI "3 FINGERS" BROWN
SP - ORVAL OVERALL
SP - JACK "THE GIANT KILLER" PFIESTER
SP - FERNANDO VALENZUELA
RP - JONATHAN PAPELBON
RP - NORM CHARLTON
RP - BARRY LATMAN
RP - HUSTON STREET
RP - DOUG FISTER
RP - CARTER CAPPS
2/9/2016 10:40 PM (edited)
When I comprised a list of 15-20 players I was targeting with my 1st round pick I wanted an ace at the top of my rotation.

In this order I wanted:

1)  Christy Mathewson
2)  Sandy Koufax
3)  Bob Gibson

Those 3 pitchers were taken ahead of me in that order so I settled for 3 Fingers.  Sometimes drafts don't quite go how you plan!
1/26/2016 1:55 AM
Team #1 aptly named: Iron Horse
Home games played at Rogers Centre in Toronto, ON

C -  JAVY LOPEZ
1B - LOU GEHRIG
2B - EDGARDO ALFONZO
3B - AL ROSEN
SS - JAY BELL
OF - LARRY WALKER
OF - BRADY ANDERSON
OF - GOOSE GOSLIN
DH - HAL TROSKY
RESERVE - TOM LEAHY
RESERVE - ELLIS BURKS
RESERVE - TONY FERNANDEZ
RESERVE - BILLY NORTH
RESERVE - DAVID ROSS
SP - DWIGHT "DOC" GOODEN
SP - DON SUTTON
SP - FRANK OWEN
SP - MORT COOPER
RP - JR RICHARD
RP - KEN GILES
RP - GEORGE McQUILLAN
RP - AARON SANCHEZ
RP - JOEL PINIERO
RP - TOM HENKE
RP - GEORGE DUMONT
2/10/2016 11:17 PM (edited)
Posted by Got_Worms on 1/26/2016 1:55:00 AM (view original):
When I comprised a list of 15-20 players I was targeting with my 1st round pick I wanted an ace at the top of my rotation.

In this order I wanted:

1)  Christy Mathewson
2)  Sandy Koufax
3)  Bob Gibson

Those 3 pitchers were taken ahead of me in that order so I settled for 3 Fingers.  Sometimes drafts don't quite go how you plan!
I was devastated when roadie took Pedro Worms.  I had prayed he would still be there at 13.  Because of that, my draft strategy pretty much did a 180
1/26/2016 2:07 AM
My draft strategy changes at least 8 times a day
1/26/2016 2:10 PM
C - Johnny Bench
1B - Darin Erstad
2B - Nap Lajoie
3B - Jose Bautista
SS -
OF -
OF -
OF -
DH - Chuck Klein
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE
SP 1- Bob Caruthers
SP 2A- Eddie Plank
SP 2B- Dean Chance
SP -
SP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
1/31/2016 4:46 PM (edited)
First of all; 'strategy'??? WTF is that...

For us, Nap was an easy 1st choice - Best 2B season in the sim

Bench - W/ all due respect to the Kelly lovers, or '35 Foxx, the Dilligafs LOVE Bench...Stops the running gm cold, and will hit a few dingers...

Klein - Just wanted at least one BIG bat in the lineup...Might be our last...

Jose Bautista - A nice surprise 3B season...A Dilligaf fave...

Only real surprise so far (to us), The Sandman at #50...Too early for a RP, and IMHO, there are better RP seasons avail...

Well, and maybe Mike Griffin...Nice player, but think he would still have been there a few rounds later...

OCICBW...

DBP
1/27/2016 4:44 PM (edited)
1|2|3...9 Next ▸
D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.