D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Posted by kyleb63 on 2/2/2016 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/2/2016 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Those are exactly the kinds of players I'm targeting with my next pick...

Was hoping Earl Averill would slide a little further!
Good thing I pick right before you 
Hoiles is a nice addition to your squad. One of my personal favorites also!
2/2/2016 11:55 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/2/2016 11:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by kyleb63 on 2/2/2016 10:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/2/2016 10:19:00 PM (view original):
Those are exactly the kinds of players I'm targeting with my next pick...

Was hoping Earl Averill would slide a little further!
Good thing I pick right before you 
Hoiles is a nice addition to your squad. One of my personal favorites also!
Thanks! I saw that the teams picking behind me didn't have catchers so it was time to pull the trigger.
2/3/2016 12:30 AM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2016 1:04:00 AM (view original):
Going to keep track of my 2nd team here since my 1st team is filling up the Spring Training team!

C - 
1B - JEFF BAGWELL
2B - EDDIE STANKY
3B - MEL OTT
SS -
OF - ALBERT BELLE
OF - JESSE BURKETT
OF - TONY GWYNN
DH - TED KLUSZEWSKI
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE
SP - MORDECAI "3 FINGERS" BROWN
SP - ORVAL OVERALL
SP - JACK "THE GIANT KILLER" PFIESTER
SP -
SP - 
RP - 
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP - 
This lineup is coming together perfectly.  With Catcher & SS the only spots left to fill, it's time to think about the batting order.  Slight adjustments to be made throughout the season...
  1. Eddie Stanky - 2B
  2. Jesse Burkett - LF
  3. Tony Gwynn - CF
  4. Jeff Bagwell - 1B
  5. Albert Belle - RF
  6. Ted Kluszewski - DH
  7.  Mel Ott - 3B
  8. Howard Johnson - SS
  9. ? - C
2/3/2016 8:51 PM (edited)
With over 5000 PA, my lineups slash line is .354/.453/.571
Y'all ain't got nothing on me

C- Jorge Posada
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Rod Carew
SS- Nomar Garciaparra
3B- Chipper Jones
OF- Tris Speaker
OF- Bryce Harper
OF- Gary Sheffield

Still need a DH but I got the lineup I want already
2/3/2016 1:54 AM (edited)
Posted by d_rock97 on 2/3/2016 1:54:00 AM (view original):
With over 5000 PA, my lineups slash line is .354/.453/.571
Y'all ain't got nothing on me

C- Jorge Posada
1B- Albert Pujols
2B- Rod Carew
SS- Nomar Garciaparra
3B- Chipper Jones
OF- Tris Speaker
OF- Bryce Harper
OF- Gary Sheffield

Still need a DH but I got the lineup I want already
No question you've got some high OBP guys.  Nomar & Sheffield haven't performed well for me lately but with the right park that could change for you.  Here's how I would set your lineup which could change slightly depending on who you select for DH.
  1. Tris Speaker
  2. Rod Carew
  3. Albert Pujols
  4. Chipper Jones
  5. Bryce Harper
  6. Gary Sheffield
  7. Nomar Garciaparra
  8. Jorge Posada
2/3/2016 4:14 AM
Pujols could end up among the top RBI producers with Speaker & Carew ahead of him in the lineup.  You've got a solid foundation there!
2/3/2016 4:16 AM

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Willie McCovey
2B - Jose Altuve
3B - 
SS - Honus Wagner
OF - Rickey Henderson
OF - Frank Robinson
OF - Ted Williams
DH -

SP - Tom Seaver
SP - John Tudor
SP - Spud Chandler
SP - Derek Lowe

So far I really like my lineup. It's a good mix of power, speed and average. I'm not super thrilled about my pitching staff, but it's not horrible. 

Lineup will most likely be the following, if I get the remaining players I'm looking at... Altuve might move to batting second, but I really like Wagner there with his avg, OBP and speed. 

Henderson
Wagner
Williams
McCovey
Robinson
DH
Altuve
3B
Molina

2/3/2016 8:26 AM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2016 1:20:00 AM (view original):
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2016 1:04:00 AM (view original):
Going to keep track of my 2nd team here since my 1st team is filling up the Spring Training team!

C - 
1B - JEFF BAGWELL
2B - EDDIE STANKY
3B - MEL OTT
SS -
OF - ALBERT BELLE
OF - JESSE BURKETT
OF - TONY GWYNN
DH - TED KLUSZEWSKI
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE -
RESERVE
SP - MORDECAI "3 FINGERS" BROWN
SP - ORVAL OVERALL
SP - JACK "THE GIANT KILLER" PFIESTER
SP -
SP - 
RP - 
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP -
RP - 
This lineup is coming together perfectly.  With Catcher & SS the only spots left to fill, it's time to think about the batting order.  Slight adjustments to be made throughout the season...
  1. Eddie Stanky - 2B
  2. Jesse Burkett - LF
  3. Tony Gwynn - CF
  4. Jeff Bagwell - 1B
  5. Albert Belle - RF
  6. Ted Kluszewski - DH
  7.  Mel Ott - 3B
  8. ? - SS
  9. ? - C
BagPipes and Gwynn both under performed for me on a NL era theme team. Hopefully you have better luck because they should be awesome.  

I was crushed that you got Joey Belle...

Love Ott at 3B. Great pick.
2/3/2016 11:11 AM
Weird about Bagwell underperforming.  He's been one of the top SIM players since I got on this site in 2004 and my all-time favorite player!
2/3/2016 12:57 PM (edited)
C - Joe Torre
1B - Jason Giambi
2B - Tony Phillips
3B -
SS - Rico Petrocelli
OF - Earl Averill
OF - Paul Waner
OF -
DH - Harry Heilman

SP - Russ Ford
SP - Pete Alexander
SP - Jake Arrieta
P -
P-
P-
P-
P-
P-

Shaping up. I didn't get a lot of the higher profile big names. So far, stuck with guys I have used in the past that tend to perform well. Don't know if I wlll get buried by the Ruths and Wagners of the world, but I hope not.
2/3/2016 1:01 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2016 12:57:00 PM (view original):
Weird about Bagwell underperforming.  He's been one of the top SIM players since I got on this site in 2004 and my all-time favorite player!
Uncapped theme so I platooned him with Helton.  .289/.381/.496 playing almost exclusively against lefties. He was out-slashed on my team by Rock Raines.
2/3/2016 1:19 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 2/3/2016 4:16:00 AM (view original):
Pujols could end up among the top RBI producers with Speaker & Carew ahead of him in the lineup.  You've got a solid foundation there!
2/3/2016 1:49 PM
Posted by ejstockman on 2/3/2016 1:01:00 PM (view original):
C - Joe Torre
1B - Jason Giambi
2B - Tony Phillips
3B -
SS - Rico Petrocelli
OF - Earl Averill
OF - Paul Waner
OF -
DH - Harry Heilman

SP - Russ Ford
SP - Pete Alexander
SP - Jake Arrieta
P -
P-
P-
P-
P-
P-

Shaping up. I didn't get a lot of the higher profile big names. So far, stuck with guys I have used in the past that tend to perform well. Don't know if I wlll get buried by the Ruths and Wagners of the world, but I hope not.
You stole Averill, Heilmann, and Ford from me.  Thanks a lot!!
2/3/2016 9:41 PM
Do you guys think that the so-called "Moneyball" approach; i.e. lots of walks, high OBP and power hitting works in the SIM?

I was thinking that the whole Moneyball idea is to have hitters who can work the count, wear out the starting pitcher and then really go to work on the middle relief guys.

But here, especially in a league like this, it'll be difficult to wear down all the great pitching seasons.  I can't see a great deadball era pitcher like Christy Mathewson wearing down.

I wonder if I would've been better off targeting high contact, "see the ball, hit the ball" hitters like Joe DiMaggio and Nomar Garciaparra instead of sluggers like Ken Griffey Jr and Jim Thome.

What do you'all think?
2/4/2016 2:50 AM
I think we will see hitting dominate pitching for the most part.  The league leader in ERA will be around 4.00-4.50, and that will be your Pedro Martinez roadie.  I predict many will be disappointed with their $15-40 million dollar deadball starters.  I have not played WIS baseball consistently for almost two years (as I've been focused so much on NFL & NBA draft leagues), so things may have changed since then in the SIM.

If not, here is what I remember.  The SIM seems to favor pure OBP over pure Sluggung.  In other words, you will usually find a .320/.440/.520 player will perform better than a .285/.350.620 olayer.  I don't have enough hands to count the number of times I have had a Sammy Sosa, McGwire, Schmidt, etc hit .200 or more slugging percentage pts les sthan real life.  Usually, the on base guys don't fare as differently.  I also remember that it seemed that high strikeout pitchers with a low EAR and WHIP almost ALWAYS fared better than a low strikeout pitcher with low ERA and WHIP.  

Again, things may have changed, but that is what I remember being pretty consistent two years ago.
2/4/2016 4:00 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...9 Next ▸
D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.