D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

For anyone who cares, or is interested...here is my list of steals and reaches so far in the draft.  Don't take anything personally.  I am not dissing anyone's draft strategy or baseball knowledge.  Just one man's opinion.  Your mileage may vary.

Round one

Steal:  Nap Lajoie 10th.  Could have been a top 5.  Best season in the SIM at a position where there aren't a ton of those.

Reach:  Claude Hendrix 18th.  Great season with 1.69 ERA BUT with a .203 OAV against him that year, he will get hit around.  Were better choices at that point.

most likely to underperform:  Barry Bonds.  Those #'s are unreal, but he always seems to fall worfully short of RL.

Round two

Steal:  Stan Musial 27th.  Amazing he was a 2nd round pick.  Could make an argument he should have been top 15 with combo of avg/obp/slg and fielding.

Reach:  Luke Appling 38th.  Don't get me wrong, a .388 avg and .473 OBP are great, but his fielding is average at an important position, and probably shouldn't have gone before Vaughn and Wagner.  

Most likely to underperform:  Cy Young 32nd  His best WHIP seasons of .97, opponents hit over .230 against him.  He will get knocked around.

Round three
Steal:  Hack Wilson 70th.  Power, avg, slugging, WAR--could give 1st round production late in the 3rd

Reach:  Mike Griffin 57th.  Nice player, but there were SO MANY better OF's available at that point.  Coulda gotten him in the 7th or 8th round.

Most likely to underperform:  Mariano Rivera  50th.  Greatest closer in history but 50th is awful early to draft a closer.  Rivera's best season may not even be in top ten best single seasons among relievers also.

Round four

Steal:  Harry Heilman 78th  Way above average in BA/OBP/SLG.  Great offensive player gives a 2nd or 3rd round value in the 4th.

Reach:  Jose Bautista, 87th.  Drafted before Mike Schmidt???  Great fielder but a .302 avg and over 20 K's per 100 mean a lot of wasted AB's.

Most likely to underperform:  Bautista.  I'd expect .260/;365/.470 with about 25 HR's

Round five

Steal:  Wade Boggs 113th.  Great average and OBP at a position that doesn't usually offer that.  Good fielder as well.

Reach:  Guy Hecker 112th.  Gives you innings, but a 1.06 WHIP and .240 OAV will get ya lit up like a Christmas tree in this league I bet.

Most likely to underperform:  Nolan Ryan.  When you draft Ryan,. you expect something.  The SIM usually hates Ryan and he usually walks far more than IRL which leads to bad numbers across the board.

Round six
Stead:  Shoeless Joe Jackson 130th.  Not as great a fielder as the movies make him seem, but the man can hit.  Avg, OBP, WAR...GREAT value at 130

Reach:  Bernie Williams 136th.  Great player, but there were so many other OF's available at this point that were better.

Mostl likely to underpoerform:  Eddie Plank 135th.  First of all, he's lefty, which makes him vulnerable with all the great RH hitters in history.  2nd of all, a .99 WHIP and .218 OAV means he should be pretty hittable in this league.

Round seven

Steal:Lefty O'Doul 165th.  Wow, what a value!  Gives you 3rd or 4th round production in round 7.  

Reach:  Mike Napoli 162nd.  Great power numbers but only 367 AB's his best season.  At least five better C's at this point IMO

Most likely to underperform:  Ken Caminiti 159th.  Just the kind of player the SIM hates for some reason.  High slugging %, but I bet he is closer to .420 than the .620 he actually hit.

Round eight
Steal:  Jason Giambi 174th.  Outrageous numbers.  .470 OBP and over .600 slg.  Great fielder also.  Roids help!

Reach:  Derek Lowe 189th.  Decent numbers, but I could probably come up with 20+ other pitchers I'd rather have at this point.

Most likely to underperform:  Pete Rose 180th.  With these great pitchers, I bet Rose turns into a glodified singles hitter.  Expect .280/,345/,380

Round nine
Steal:  Sammy Sosa 193rd.  You look at his numbers and you'd think he should be a 1st or 2nd round pick, so getting him now is a steal

Reach:  Snuffy Stirnweiss 209th.  Great name.  Great fielder.  Only .316 avg and under .400 OBP though.  I know SS is not a deep position, but there had to be better SS at this point.

Most likely to underperform:  Sosa.  Yes, he was the biggest steal but there is also no way he will live up to his RL numbers in this league.  His owner is almost guaranteed to be disappointed.

Round ten
Steal:  Tony Gwynn 217th and Ken Griffey Jr 232nd.  A .394 hitter in round 10!?  Thats Gwynn.  A top 20 player of all time?!  That's Griffey.  As much of a reach Bernie Williams was for roadhouse, Griff is a steal.

Reach:  Buddy Myer 221st.  Myer is an on base monster.  But thas really all he gives you.  I think you could drop down OBP and raise slg a bit here and find at least a half dozen 2n men who would be more valuable.

Most likely to underpoerform:  Denny McLain 218th.  Could be looked at as a steal or perhaps there is a reason he was still out there in round ten.  I'm guessing the latter as he will give up a ton of HR's and be knocked around pretty well.

Round 11
Steal:  Heinie Manush 261st & Fred Clarke 245th.  There are probably 20-30 OF's drafted ahead of them that I would draft either ahead of.  Great value here!

Reach:  Jocko Milligan 541st.  Great average and slugging for a C but only had 360 AB's that year.  OBP isn't much higher than his avg.

Most likely to underperform:  Jorge Posada 243rd.  He was a super sleeper, and a decent pick.  I just don't think he will be anywhere near his real life numbers in this league .
2/4/2016 6:09 AM

No love for Derek Lowe!? haha, I totally understand... I actually was kicking myself after seeing who was left. Luckily I picked up Spud Chandler to fill that #3 void. The Honus Wagner pick was my best pick thus far, IMO... I was greatly shocked that he fell to me when he did. 

Greatest Reach thus far: Mariano Rivera, RP <-- Shocked he went so early. 

Best value thus far: Nomar Garciaparra, SS <-- Can't believe he went so late. 

2/4/2016 7:25 AM (edited)
Posted by amerk1180 on 2/4/2016 4:00:00 AM (view original):
I think we will see hitting dominate pitching for the most part.  The league leader in ERA will be around 4.00-4.50, and that will be your Pedro Martinez roadie.  I predict many will be disappointed with their $15-40 million dollar deadball starters.  I have not played WIS baseball consistently for almost two years (as I've been focused so much on NFL & NBA draft leagues), so things may have changed since then in the SIM.

If not, here is what I remember.  The SIM seems to favor pure OBP over pure Sluggung.  In other words, you will usually find a .320/.440/.520 player will perform better than a .285/.350.620 olayer.  I don't have enough hands to count the number of times I have had a Sammy Sosa, McGwire, Schmidt, etc hit .200 or more slugging percentage pts les sthan real life.  Usually, the on base guys don't fare as differently.  I also remember that it seemed that high strikeout pitchers with a low EAR and WHIP almost ALWAYS fared better than a low strikeout pitcher with low ERA and WHIP.  

Again, things may have changed, but that is what I remember being pretty consistent two years ago.

This is usually correct for any high cap salary in WhatifSports Baseball... Having a lineup of 8+ mil guys, is always going to outperform the 10+ mil pitchers eventually. Sure they'll have some stellar games, but I'd be shocked if we see a pitcher with a sub 3 ERA, with these lineups. 

2/4/2016 6:18 AM
I stayed off of amerk's list altogether.  Flying under the radar!
2/4/2016 11:35 AM
Posted by lilspike0738 on 2/4/2016 7:25:00 AM (view original):

No love for Derek Lowe!? haha, I totally understand... I actually was kicking myself after seeing who was left. Luckily I picked up Spud Chandler to fill that #3 void. The Honus Wagner pick was my best pick thus far, IMO... I was greatly shocked that he fell to me when he did. 

Greatest Reach thus far: Mariano Rivera, RP <-- Shocked he went so early. 

Best value thus far: Nomar Garciaparra, SS <-- Can't believe he went so late. 

Yeah, I kept waiting on a shortstop. I thought no one was gonna draft Tulo.
My plan was to use Tulo's 300 PA season and combine it with Hanley Ramirez's 300 PA season.
Once he left I was like okay, I'll draft Nomar
2/4/2016 11:57 AM
Amerk's post is too long to quote but.
Jose Bautista might be a little bit of a reach, but he's always performed really well for me.
Gold glove 3B (A fielding A+ range) with 40 homers and a .300 BA. But here's the best part. He has 130+ walks!
My strategy has always been avoid drafting pitchers that walk people. Always try to grab hitters with 100+ walks.
BA is never guaranteed but walks pretty much are. And Jose Bautista is a good example. In the 3 years I've used him (all in $140 mil leagues)
He's never batted above .300 but he's always had atleast 120 walks.
3rd base is kinda thin when it comes to elite seasons so if you can get a guy who will hit 30 homers, bat .280, and walk 120 times, while playing the best 3rd base defense in the league, IN ROUND FOUR! You take him! I'm jealous of whoever got him.
But I'm not really worried cuz I got .364/.470/.574 Chipper Jones at 3rd
2/4/2016 12:18 PM (edited)
As for Bonds, he's still gonna draw 200 walks, and get on base at a .510 clip. Even though his OBP is .609, getting on base over half the time while hitting 25 homers isn't bad.
2/4/2016 12:09 PM
When I'm not lazy, I might do my reaches and steals :)
2/4/2016 12:15 PM
Posted by kyleb63 on 2/4/2016 11:35:00 AM (view original):
I stayed off of amerk's list altogether.  Flying under the radar!
Haha, that's what I was thinking!  Don't have any players in the reaches or likely to underperform category.  However, I did have 1 steal: Tony Gwynn!
2/4/2016 1:23 PM
I do admit that my taking Mike Griffen where I did was a mistake.  But I'm cool with Bernie with his high OBP and A-/A fielding in cf.  I am still blown away by getting Junior where I did.
2/4/2016 8:21 PM (edited)
If I could do it all over again, I might've drafted an everyday lineup that looks something like this instead of the "Moneyball" inspired lineup that I've been assembling.  I'm only using guys that have been selected thus far.

C. Joe Mauer
1B. George Sisler
2B. Rod Carew
SS. Nomar Garciaparra
3B. Wade Boggs
LF: Hank Aaron
CF: Joe DiMaggio
RF: Tony Gwynn

All these guys are "See the ball, hit the ball" (hard) types who don't strike out much.  I'm thinking that this is the kind of lineup that can string hits together and have a better chance vs the 3 Finger Brown's and Christy Mathewson's of the world.  I just think the low average, lots of walks, lots of homer types that the Billy Beane's and Earl Weaver's would love wouldn't work in the SIM against all of the strong pitchers.
2/4/2016 8:22 PM (edited)
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/4/2016 8:22:00 PM (view original):
If I could do it all over again, I might've drafted an everyday lineup that looks something like this instead of the "Moneyball" inspired lineup that I've been assembling.  I'm only using guys that have been selected thus far.

C. Joe Mauer
1B. George Sisler
2B. Rod Carew
SS. Nomar Garciaparra
3B. Wade Boggs
LF: Hank Aaron
CF: Joe DiMaggio
RF: Tony Gwynn

All these guys are "See the ball, hit the ball" (hard) types who don't strike out much.  I'm thinking that this is the kind of lineup that can string hits together and have a better chance vs the 3 Finger Brown's and Christy Mathewson's of the world.  I just think the low average, lots of walks, lots of homer types that the Billy Beane's and Earl Weaver's would love wouldn't work in the SIM against all of the strong pitchers.
Trust me, they work. 
2/4/2016 10:04 PM
Don't talk about un drafted players rule number 1...there is a post on this page that mentions one. Unless page one is wrong and I am missing the player but he isn't there as I post.

2/4/2016 11:30 PM
Posted by jbar8888 on 2/4/2016 11:30:00 PM (view original):
Don't talk about un drafted players rule number 1...there is a post on this page that mentions one. Unless page one is wrong and I am missing the player but he isn't there as I post.

All of the players I listed have been drafted.

2/5/2016 12:03 AM
Posted by roadhouse19 on 2/5/2016 12:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by jbar8888 on 2/4/2016 11:30:00 PM (view original):

All of the players I listed have been drafted.

Billy Beane hasn't been drafted!  
2/5/2016 12:52 AM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...9 Next ▸
D.E.A.L. commentary thread Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.