Red Sox Tournament Topic

Day two of the draft is underway. Just a reminder to share some commentary for your first-round selection if you haven't yet done so. Right now, we have comments for seven of the 20 first-round picks. Your analysis for your first-round pick WILL be included in today's article...if you share it.
4/8/2016 10:31 AM
Round 3: 1983 Wade Boggs .360+ Avg, 40+ 2b's, A- range, and hell, who needs pitching anyhow?
4/8/2016 10:48 AM
4/8/2016 11:06 AM
saw people picking Boston Americans and Boston Beaneaters... is that in the rules?
4/8/2016 12:24 PM
with all the top pitchers gone I was going for best available hotter with my first pick - Happy to have Ted Williams 1942 despite his less than stellar defense. Followed up in second round with best available pitcher...2002 Pedro.
4/8/2016 12:26 PM
Posted by troonboy on 4/8/2016 12:24:00 PM (view original):
saw people picking Boston Americans and Boston Beaneaters... is that in the rules?
The Boston Americans are the same franchise as Boston Red Sox. Boston Beaneaters are not and are not available in this draft.
4/8/2016 12:30 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 4/8/2016 11:06:00 AM (view original):
http://youtu.be/422vdlO8eJQ
This is fantastic !

thanks for posting it bagchucker.
4/8/2016 12:39 PM
Round 2 - took Cy Young '07. A little worried about the OAV# but his innings are almost as good as the elite pitchers, and he does it over 374 innings. Strongly considered Boggs87 or Boggs88. Decided to wait because...

Round 3 - took Boggs '86. There were several Boggs seasons and I decided I'd be happy enough with any of the top 5 or 6. I did NOT want to get stuck without any of them, though.
4/8/2016 1:52 PM
4/8/2016 4:52 PM
1st rd - 1949 Ted Williams. Technically the 11th pick, but due to missing my window, picked him 14th, In my opinion, the best of his seasons, due to the extra 100 pa's or so that you get out of him. I get him for all 162 gams, .343/.490/.650, his 2b's normalize well, and has a good glove for him.

I was hoping for '12 Wood or '99 Pedro, but apparently, so was everyone else. Will there be any quality pitching left when my 2nd rd pick shows up?

2nd Rnd - 1919 Babe Ruth. The pitchers left are more or less equal. I felt Ruth's 1st great season with the bat is still better than most seasons of any player. Ever. A Big HR hitter to protect The Splinter. Can play a flawless 1b with reduced range, or a solid RF.

3rd rd: 1983 Wade Boggs .360+ Avg, 40+ 2b's, A- range, and hell, who needs pitching anyhow?

4th rd - '88 Roger Clemens - my 1st year truly following baseball. Morgan Magic. Greenwell, Boggs, the 20 something home-game winning streak to turn it around, ph-ing Spike Owen for Jim Rice, Jeff Sellers being, well, Jeff Sellers. In my eyes, Roger was, and still is the man. Sorry Pedro.

5th rd - '49 Vern Stephens - One of the best hitting SS's in the WIS game. Was unsure between him and '95 Valentin in the begining of the draft. Leeeci took care of this decision for me back in the 3rd rd.

6th rd - '35 Lefty Grove - 290ip, his real life numbers all improve with normalization, close to 8 ip/g, which is great for the pitch count, should keep the ball in the yard, and doesn't walk a ton of batters, which, will help in this league.

7th rd - '57 Frank Sullivan - An ordinary 14-11 pitcher during the '57 season. A 2.48 erc# though, over 254 ip, over 7 ip/g, doesnt walk anyone, and won't kill me by giving up a ton of hr's. I feel is a solid grab for a #3 starter.

8th rd - '49 Mel Parnell - A lefty, with 300+ip. Keeps the ball in the yard. Walks a few guys though. Better than giving up Hr's?

9th rd - '49 Dom Dimaggio - I feel like he might have been a reach. But, I did not want this version to slip any further. A leadoff (743 pa) CF (a low-end A+ range), .307/.404/.420, who has a bit of speed, likes singles, doubles, and long bb's on the beach....

10th - '42 Bobby Doerr. This version "up-sells" which is always important to me. Lot's of 2b's, a higher hr# than actual Hr's, the ops# increases, good glove, with great range at 2b.

Just noticed, apparently I like those '49 Redsox. 4 picks so far. Damn, those late 40, early 50 teams could rake.

11th - '04 Manny Ramirez. Juice or not, one the greatest pure hitter any of us have seen. The right handed masher helps balance the lineup at dh.

12th - '80 Tom Burgmeier. I've ended up with him in a handful of prog's, and while this is a single season game, I'm counting it for something. I just like what he brings to the table for some reason....101ip, and over 1.5 ip/g, our 1st bullpen guy.

13th - '04 Jason Varitek - C's have started to dissapear. He switch hits, has a solid obp, and hooked up (allegedly) with heidi watney. Plus, no one steals for the sox, right?

14th - '67 Don McMahon - 110ip, with a whip of 1.00
4/13/2016 1:31 AM (edited)
Round 1-pick #2 overall-Smoky Joe Wood-normalized 367 IP/162, with a 1.01 WHIP and 6.75 K/9 in the deadball era. I'll get about 400 IP out of him, which will should comprise approximately 27% of my entire staff's innings on the season. Get some good infield defense in later rounds to help.
4/10/2016 12:12 PM (edited)
Round 1, Pick 6: 1905 Cy Young - I would've taken this season of Young with the first pick in the draft and am pleasantly surprised he fell to me at sixth. Almost as many IP as two Pedro Martinez's but with a much lower HR/9 and the second-best raw WHIP of any SP in the draft. He will be a strong contender for the league's Cy Young Award if we can get him some wins.

Round 2, Pick 35: 1913 Tris Speaker - I was REALLY hoping 1919 Ruth would make it back around to me here as he will likely lead the league in HRs. Instead, I was able to snag a CF who doesn't hit into DPs and will hit plenty of XBH, which works well with the ballparks we will be in all season.

Round 3, Pick 45: 1970 Carl Yastrzemski - Simple, that .456 OBP# is beautiful. Dunno whether he's gonna play first or DH yet. I feel like I might regret leaving '85 Boggs on the board but we will see. He has since been picked.

Round 4, Pick 75: 1989 Wade Boggs - I passed on the top-flight Boggs seasons (namely 1988) last round, and I wasn't about to go without ANY Boggs. This season is not much worse than his best but holding off for a round allowed me to get Yaz too.

Round 5, Pick 86: 1907 Cy Morgan - Having a solid long reliever is pretty normal for me. I missed out on Elmer Steele and Ernie Shore before this pick so figured it'd be a good idea to lock Morgan down. My computer died on me before this pick so I had little time to research and just took the top P left on my board, which was Morgan.

Round 6, Pick 115: 1920 Wally Schang - After barely missing out on the 3B and LRP I wanted, I wasn't going to let that happen at C. I like Wally over every C in the draft (yes, even Foxx) due to him being a switch hitter who draws a lot of walks.

Round 7, Pick 126: 1909 Frank Arellanes - No idea who this guy is, but he's a solid deadball arm and, in my opinion, a value in Round 7.

Round 8, Pick 155: 1960 Ted Williams - I had been eyeing up the ever-lowering number of Ted Williams seasons available for a few rounds now. With only a few left, I jumped on the one with A rated fielding. He's not much worse than the higher priced seasons, and I was able to get him in a much later round.

Round 9, Pick 166: 1951 Johnny Pesky - Debated this one a lot, but this season of Pesky can play SS or 2B, is yet another lefty hitter, and is another guy with over .400 OBP (so far, all of my hitters have been lefties or switch hitters with over .400 OBP).

Pretty happy so far. If we can get some of our targets over the next 4 or 5 rounds, I think we will be in a good position for the league.
4/10/2016 9:37 PM (edited)
Round 4 - Finally picked my Ted... the '51 version who can competently play LF. Only a 318/457/556 line though.

Round 5 - Wanted to get a shortstop who was OK in the field, since a lot of the SS with good bats are going to make a lot of errors. Took Nomar 97 despite his low OBP. Hoping the good AVG and power will actually play a little bit. In hindsight this one ended up being a reach. NOMAH!!

Round 6 - Finally grabbed another arm in Joe Wood '15. Keeps the ball in the park and won't give up TOO many hits.

Round 7 - Completed my DP combo with Pedroia '11. The Laser Show brings a nice .390 OBP line. May be able to bat higher in the order against lefties.

Round 8 - Another deadball arm in Frank Smith '10. Walk rate is a bit high for all the Ted Williamses but otherwise OK.

Round 9 - So much for keeping the ball in the yard... welcome Josh Beckett! Good WHIP, though.

Round 10 - Most of a centerfielder in Reggie Smith and his 495pa. One of the rare (good) switch hitters the Red Sox have had.
4/11/2016 9:22 AM
Round 10, Pick 195: 1969 Reggie Smith - Wanted to make sure I got one of the 3 good seasons of Smith. The other two went within the last round or so. He's, as jfranco noted, one of the few good switch-hitters the Red Sox have had. On top of that, he's got an A rating for Range. This gives me two A or higher Range OFers which will definitely come into play with how many games we'll be playing in Fenway.
4/11/2016 10:33 AM
I know its just cosmetic but is there any way to move the guys you've already drafted to a new spot on the team roster page?
4/11/2016 1:13 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...13 Next ▸
Red Sox Tournament Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.