2/9/2016 6:27 PM
Posted by gorbyruss on 2/9/2016 6:27:00 PM (view original):
I'll take a team...
AL
2/9/2016 7:14 PM
10 are in
2/9/2016 7:14 PM
I have a comment and a question...

In a recent draft, we drafted rookies only in round 1. By the middle of round 1, the talent level really dropped off. Miguel Batista was my late 1st round pick. Round 2 kicked off, and expanded to include veteran free agents and cut players. The talent level picked back up in round 2. I understand that some draft pools are thinner than others, as was that one.

Do you guys want to limit round 1 available players to consist of rookies only, or not? I am not chomping at the bit to make the call here. Input is appreciated...
2/9/2016 8:22 PM
I suppose my displeasure was that in this instance, there was more value in a high or mid round 2nd round pick than a late first rounder...
2/9/2016 8:24 PM
The way I see it, all we accomplished was requiring all teams to draft a rookie, rather than being able to draft the best player on the board...
2/9/2016 8:26 PM
In almost every inaugural draft I've participated in, everyone is fair game...not limited to just rookies...I think you should just take the best player, period...
2/9/2016 8:34 PM
Posted by gorbyruss on 2/9/2016 8:34:00 PM (view original):
In almost every inaugural draft I've participated in, everyone is fair game...not limited to just rookies...I think you should just take the best player, period...
I am referring to subsequent drafts. The inaugural draft would be yes, wide open...sorry for not being clear.
2/9/2016 8:39 PM
Oh...my bad...I've seen drafts limited to just rookies in the first round and drafts open to all available players...I think the drafts I've seen that were limited to rookies were done so because the available players list wasn't posted by draft time...if the availables list is posted prior to the draft, then I don't see why you couldn't take best player available...
2/9/2016 8:49 PM
I appreciate the input. Keep it coming...
2/9/2016 8:55 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Same here Doc,  rookies and eligible veterans available in any round.
2/10/2016 5:30 AM
Posted by Bootone on 2/9/2016 10:21:00 PM (view original):
I have to agree with gorbyruss. The only reason I've seen for drafting only rookies in the first round was due to keepers not being pulled from the available list. I did this only once in my progressives. I had several owners at the bottom of the round complain that the drop off in talent was so bad it really wasn't fair. Had to agree.
I have to disagree completely with this statement even though I haven't joined this league as my first league was SOOP run by sheller and he always had rookies only in the first round. I liked his leagues and the way he ran them so when he needed an owner in RPLY I joined it and the same with XYZ as he was consistent and always had rookies only available in the first round and the tradition continues in those leagues even though he is not there anymore.

He said it was to keep owners from drafting 1 season players and diluting the teams rosters just to get what they needed to win now and then maybe leaving in a season or two with a weak roster left behind.

As far as being fair it also helps the weaker teams with the worst records get first crack at the non-rookies which seems is more fair than worrying about the teams with the best records and gives time to check for errors on the available player list as I'm always late in checking that due to limited time online.
2/10/2016 12:46 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
NEW-Two Scoops 1910/1962 Progressive -waitlist Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.