What to ask in the developer chat? Topic

Some great questions asked in this one. A lot of hinting about some cool stuff that is coming up. 

I'm really glad the fuzzy ratings will apply less to Durability and Stamina. Seems to make sense. 
2/5/2016 3:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2016 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Safe to say that was largely a waste?   Some clown asked about a NFL Dynasty.
This was the highlight -

Is there a hidden matrix for "par value" pitching ratings like how there is a published matrix for defensive ratings? (pjfoster13 - All-Star - 2:56 PM)

Yes

2/5/2016 3:46 PM
^ details will be revealed during the next chat in 2018.
2/5/2016 4:08 PM
That was informative and encouraging. It really seems like they're invested in improving this game. The hints at possible custom leagues (based, at least, on historical eras) were exciting, and the addition of new cities and stadiums should help freshen things up and probably boost demand among currently active players. They didn't address (or maybe no one asked -- I wasn't able to be online during the chat) whether league size could be customized, but I can understand why they'd want to see how the upcoming promotions and partnerships work out before taking that drastic step.

I've played this game for nearly 10 years now, and Teh Mgmt. seems as excited about HBD as I've seen in a really long time. There were a couple of years where it seemed like nobody really cared, so this is great.
2/5/2016 4:31 PM
Posted by travisg on 2/5/2016 4:31:00 PM (view original):
That was informative and encouraging. It really seems like they're invested in improving this game. The hints at possible custom leagues (based, at least, on historical eras) were exciting, and the addition of new cities and stadiums should help freshen things up and probably boost demand among currently active players. They didn't address (or maybe no one asked -- I wasn't able to be online during the chat) whether league size could be customized, but I can understand why they'd want to see how the upcoming promotions and partnerships work out before taking that drastic step.

I've played this game for nearly 10 years now, and Teh Mgmt. seems as excited about HBD as I've seen in a really long time. There were a couple of years where it seemed like nobody really cared, so this is great.
Prior to the chat, I did submit the questions about custom league sizes and/or SIM managers. Did not see them addressed.
2/5/2016 4:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/5/2016 3:14:00 PM (view original):
Safe to say that was largely a waste?   Some clown asked about a NFL Dynasty.
Yep, to me it was.  Love the NFL Dynasty game being addressed, and live play takes a close second.  Taking the bronze is all the vague hints about how the sim works.  That being said, there's a population of users that eat that stuff up, so on that front, it was probably a success.   There definitely seems to be a base of users who would enjoy these chats occurring on a more frequent basis. 
2/5/2016 5:00 PM
Posted by tribewriter on 2/5/2016 4:42:00 PM (view original):

Prior to the chat, I did submit the questions about custom league sizes and/or SIM managers. Did not see them addressed.
Seemed to me like they want to give their marketing campaign ideas a shot first before going this route. 
2/5/2016 5:04 PM

Maybe this explains why when they show best pitches you can't create a formula to mirror their ranking, there is a pitch type modifier.

Whats the purpose or value of having a pitcher have a Pitch 5 of >23.. Why not just drop the 5th pitch? 
(mikeschless - Veteran - 2:17 PM)

A pitcher's success is dictated, in part, by his pitch repertoire. Having an extra pitch is a good thing, unless it's terrible. In this case, a 23 is pretty awful. During a DITR process or the annual offseason ratings cycle a pitcher may drop a bad pitch. We may also be adding some logic for a pitcher to add or change an existing pitch to a stronger pitch during DITR process (such as an average pitcher learning a cutter and then becoming a much better pitcher).

Are pitch names purely aesthetic or do they influence gameplay logic in any manner (ie do fastball-curveball pitchers have higher home run rates than sinker-split fb pitchers in a vacuum with all other ratings the same)? Also, are P1-P5 read "from left to right" or is pitch effectiveness based on average pitch value (ie is 80-70-60-50-40 the same as 80-60-40-70-50 or are they different and if so which is better)? (pjfoster13 - All-Star - 2:31 PM)

When a player is generated the groundball/flyball rating is tied to their pitch offerings.

2/5/2016 5:07 PM
Posted by tribewriter on 2/5/2016 4:42:00 PM (view original):

TZ did say that they'll try to answer the remaining questions over the weekend.  I also had a couple of were not addressed.
2/5/2016 5:36 PM

I know I sound like Debbie Downer but I didn't get that vibe at all.    The fact is that this game is in trouble.    Every year we say "It's football season" or "It's summer" or "There are just some bad worlds that no one will join" or something along that line.   I've used every one of them.   More than once.  But the fact is that every year there are more openings than the last during the same time period.    That's despite the fact that somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 worlds have disappeared in the last two years.

So while some new stadiums might be nice bling to the hardened veteran, it doesn't address the problem that keep getting worse every world cycle.   And that's a lack of owners.    Keeping those who are here needs to be a priority.     WifS needs to get those guys playing.   If it's sim teams, so be it.   If it's a giveaway to get veteran owners to take another team, even if only for a season, do it.   If the best way is to customize world sizes, get it done.    THEN they can see how upcoming promotions and partnerships work out.

Seriously, if you're a potential owner and you do even the slightest bit of research before joining a world, do you join?   Anyone can see that a quarter of the worlds need owners.   And most have needed them for awhile. 

It's just a bad environment right now. 

2/5/2016 5:56 PM
And, as expected, the DC was clogged up with questions, or complaints, that could have been asked via ticket.
2/5/2016 6:10 PM
Here's the first thing I would do:

I'd contact every commish and ask them if they'd take a credit/team in an open world.    The smart ones would say "yes".   The reason is twofold:   1) they get more exposure  2) they can effectively screen owners in that world to recruit for their world.   Because, truth is, the commissioners are keeping the private worlds running.   WifS' marketing campaign was fine for public worlds.  They got a lot of one and dones but the worlds filled and people played.   But it didn't do anything for the private worlds.

This could be done today and get some worlds going.

2/5/2016 7:45 PM
IMO, this is the "safe" way to get some worlds going.   Commissioners aren't going to go in and be dicks, wreck teams, trade rape or do anything questionable.   Because, in the end, they're really just trying to make new contacts. 

The fact that WifS doesn't recognize this is kind of amazing.   They'll bring in new owners/aliases at $4.95 and get a mixed bag of results.   Not so much with established owners.   All for $4.95. 

2/5/2016 7:50 PM
GIVE MIKE A FREE TEAM AND MAKE HIM STFU!

Seriously, it's a great idea.  100%.  Call it a "Recruitment Credit." 

One thing I've always liked about WiS is that they've allowed their game to have so many parameters defined by the users in the case of private leagues/worlds.  However, in HBD, right now it feels like too much is left up to the users, specifically in having so much ride on the commish taking an active role.  Sweeten the pot, give the commishes more incentive to up their game.

2/5/2016 8:01 PM
That's one reason I always try to have a replacement team going.
2/5/2016 8:27 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
What to ask in the developer chat? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.