Run,  I , Pro or Trips exclusively and throw evenly to the TE, RB and 2nd or 3rd Wr, you will have a good level of moderate success. the single formation gives us the speed and allows for the high number of reps Chip Style. 
2/9/2016 4:05 AM
Boo.  Throw to your tackles run with your assistant coach pass with your strength trainer. It's all good  .
   You want to learn GD ?  
1-Learn which attributes are important to which positions  BEFORE you recruit. 
2-Look at your team and decide how many guys you need at each position For The Formations you will run.
3-Recruit accordingly , trying to get no lower than High Growth Guys if you want them to grow. Or no lower than  Strides Guys(the next level down)if you need the highest attributes you can find Right Now for a starter. Try not to be desperate.
4-When gameplanning, Look at Opponents team. I start off with their Def. How does it match up with your Off. ? Use the game plan  that give you the biggest edge over the opponent.
5-Practice few formations(this is personal preferance; myself I figure learn the few well and use the rest to grow individual attributes. I play in d2. I'm sure this is true in d3 also. Not so sure about higher levels.
2/9/2016 1:26 PM
Posted by mojolad on 2/9/2016 1:26:00 PM (view original):
Boo.  Throw to your tackles run with your assistant coach pass with your strength trainer. It's all good  .
   You want to learn GD ?  
1-Learn which attributes are important to which positions  BEFORE you recruit. 
2-Look at your team and decide how many guys you need at each position For The Formations you will run.
3-Recruit accordingly , trying to get no lower than High Growth Guys if you want them to grow. Or no lower than  Strides Guys(the next level down)if you need the highest attributes you can find Right Now for a starter. Try not to be desperate.
4-When gameplanning, Look at Opponents team. I start off with their Def. How does it match up with your Off. ? Use the game plan  that give you the biggest edge over the opponent.
5-Practice few formations(this is personal preferance; myself I figure learn the few well and use the rest to grow individual attributes. I play in d2. I'm sure this is true in d3 also. Not so sure about higher levels.
That's interesting, mojo. I always start gameplanning with my defense. It might be no surprise that your teams seem to usually be offensive power houses.
2/9/2016 2:14 PM
It doesn't matter which matchup you start with. It's just important to do. I have multiple game plans already to be plugged in. For ex. : A run heavy one. Balanced one , pass heavy one, and a few I won't mention. But create them and have them available to be used. 
Same thing on Defense. Does opponent run heavily(E Stroudsberg in PSAC Warner , Badaxe :) , Pass all time, balanced ? Or anything else you can think of . Wanna have heavy blitz ? create it and plug it in when necessary.
      This game is highly customizable if you are in d2+(d3 doesn't have advanced settings).
Number one thing in my opinion is quality of talent. But after that it's the little things that will win or lose the game. And if you wanna get to the top you better learn to take every edge you can.

2/9/2016 2:44 PM
Posted by kas1007 on 2/9/2016 4:05:00 AM (view original):
Run,  I , Pro or Trips exclusively and throw evenly to the TE, RB and 2nd or 3rd Wr, you will have a good level of moderate success. the single formation gives us the speed and allows for the high number of reps Chip Style. 
Now that the proverbial cat is out of the proverbial bag, how will we stop literally everyone from winning a NC literally every season?

Soon, NCs will be so plentiful, they'll be our currency. One NC will equal roughly a nickel... depending on the strength of the Yen.
2/9/2016 3:50 PM
Heh. That's why I went on to my soapbox and gave the short course.
Of course , there are many nuances in every facet of the game that are only learned as you play and watch others that are successful. But if my little seminar can help one player , it was worth it.

2/9/2016 5:19 PM
I'm all for looking around and seeing what's working, then trying to "reverse engineer" it for your own use. In every form of this game (1.0, 2.0, 3.0), I've done that and I suspect every successful coach out there would tell you the same, if s/he is being honest.

I would encourage kas to dig a little deeper. Looking at the leaders in receiving stats for a passing team tells you something... but not much. Dig deeper. Figure out how the distributions you observe arose. Figure out depth charts. Figure out who they think are their #1, #2 and #3 WR - do you agree with their placement? If not, why? Maybe they're doing something other than what it appears they are doing. Look at it like a little child would look at something new - with no assumptions in place - and see if you can gain a previously-overlooked insight.

If all else fails, just ask. You might not get everything; you might not get anything. But it never hurts to ask.
2/9/2016 7:22 PM
Posted by gt_deuce on 2/9/2016 7:22:00 PM (view original):
I'm all for looking around and seeing what's working, then trying to "reverse engineer" it for your own use. In every form of this game (1.0, 2.0, 3.0), I've done that and I suspect every successful coach out there would tell you the same, if s/he is being honest.

I would encourage kas to dig a little deeper. Looking at the leaders in receiving stats for a passing team tells you something... but not much. Dig deeper. Figure out how the distributions you observe arose. Figure out depth charts. Figure out who they think are their #1, #2 and #3 WR - do you agree with their placement? If not, why? Maybe they're doing something other than what it appears they are doing. Look at it like a little child would look at something new - with no assumptions in place - and see if you can gain a previously-overlooked insight.

If all else fails, just ask. You might not get everything; you might not get anything. But it never hurts to ask.
Give the star a gold man, or something like that.
2/9/2016 7:59 PM
Posted by pete_61 on 2/9/2016 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gt_deuce on 2/9/2016 7:22:00 PM (view original):

Give the star a gold man, or something like that.
There's gold in them thar words:)

I used to spend my time whining about teams throwing to RBs and TEs like crazy, and pleading with GD to do something about it.

Then, I put on my big boy pants, rolled up my sleeves and went to work. There are 7-8 coaches that I study and learn from, and am tweaking things constantly. Yes, it is true. The Wishbone is a distant memory for me. I got some religion and have seen the light - and the light is good:)
2/10/2016 11:25 PM
  Great post.
2/10/2016 11:49 PM
I have never seen a pure WB team win an NC. Not saying it never happened. Just that I have never seen it. Thinking of trying it out ?
2/11/2016 4:07 PM
The legendary Texas High School coach Gordon Wood was sleeping on Grant Teaff's couch in Grant's office when he came in after a game one Sunday.  He was there because he had some questions about something he had done on offense in that game.  This was long after all the numerson district and state titles he had won.

The lesson from this story is that you NEVER stop learning as a coach.  Whether it be HS, College, Pro, or Video Game/Online.  
2/11/2016 5:38 PM
Posted by mojolad on 2/11/2016 4:07:00 PM (view original):
I have never seen a pure WB team win an NC. Not saying it never happened. Just that I have never seen it. Thinking of trying it out ?
I've won a few in Yost with half WB and half Pro. I won by milking the clock and owning TOP. But, like real life, when you fall behind, it's really hard to play catch up.
2/11/2016 10:36 PM
Thanks Chetty. 
2/12/2016 3:29 AM
Posted by mojolad on 2/11/2016 4:07:00 PM (view original):
Mojolad, I just won a NC in Yost at Southern Utah in which I ran a pass heavy offense out of the WB (92% of the time). 
2/12/2016 9:37 AM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.