Posted by italyprof on 2/9/2016 5:32:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 2/9/2016 5:28:00 PM (view original):
you hate triples?
I love doubles with people on base - in the gap, down the lines, but triples are just doubles that are stretched. There is something asymmetrical about them that bothers me aesthetically. I think they erode character. I think the rule should be that if you pass second base on your own hit  you are out unless you make it home. 
my friend

you are so so wrong

2/9/2016 5:34 PM
It is true that for contrarian23's theme league on using the new prices I found a bunch of players I had never heard of with the criteria I wanted - though I don't know what their previous prices were so I can't compare. 
2/9/2016 5:34 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 2/9/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
you hate triples?
I love doubles with people on base - in the gap, down the lines, but triples are just doubles that are stretched. There is something asymmetrical about them that bothers me aesthetically. I think they erode character. I think the rule should be that if you pass second base on your own hit  you are out unless you make it home. 
my friend

you are so so wrong

So what's good about triples?  Enlighten me. I am not too old to learn - well maybe I am, but I can try.
2/9/2016 5:35 PM
Posted by italyprof on 2/9/2016 5:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bagchucker on 2/9/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
you hate triples?
my friend

you are so so wrong

So what's good about triples?  Enlighten me. I am not too old to learn - well maybe I am, but I can try.
The triple is the most exciting hit in baseball outside of an inside the park homerun.  Basically it is the only play left when you are insured that more than two people on the field are going at full tilt.  
2/9/2016 5:40 PM
triples takes three things

speed
long fences
line drives

tell me that dont sound fun and fast

why are the kids takiing to socker
2/9/2016 5:43 PM
f*ckin A

i mean what Z said

2/9/2016 5:43 PM
that is exactly what i have always thought about triples

the most exciting play in baseball

rickey rounds 2nd, for example

put your favorite right fielder in right, can he nail rickey
2/9/2016 5:47 PM
Posted by italyprof on 2/9/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
It is true that for contrarian23's theme league on using the new prices I found a bunch of players I had never heard of with the criteria I wanted - though I don't know what their previous prices were so I can't compare. 
Ditto.
2/9/2016 5:49 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by mdc2276 on 2/9/2016 12:29:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zubinsum on 2/9/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ozomatli on 2/9/2016 12:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zubinsum on 2/9/2016 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Thanks, skunk.

Any wagers on the top bargains?  I am guessing 1940s pitchers.
On initial glance it looks to me like deadball pitchers will still be the best bargains for OLs, just different ones. Though, I suppose it depends on what cap we're talking about.
Looking at salaries, I see every SP in the top 200 (or so) for ERC# has gone up.  That isn't a promising sign for OLs or anything else at a $80M+ cap.
How so?
Basically what Bagchucker wrote... it is an across the board salary increase for anything at $80M or more and perhaps even at $60M+.  In $80M OLs people will just move to slightly less expensive cookies...  i.e. '08 Joss + '18 Toney might be swapped for '08 Mathewson.  We will wee the same cookies, tho perhaps downgraded slightly.

I think the real problem (in OLs at least) is that well over half the players in the database are really too bad to have any use in an OL other than to eat IP or PAs.   The salaries of such useless players will  be lowered iteratively while the salary of anyone useful keeps moving in the opposite direction.  I think it is quite possibly that WIS never reaches an equilibrium, though I suspect we might hit one in a year or two. 

2/9/2016 5:59 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 2/9/2016 5:47:00 PM (view original):
that is exactly what i have always thought about triples

the most exciting play in baseball

rickey rounds 2nd, for example

put your favorite right fielder in right, can he nail rickey
For my money, the most exciting play in baseball is a medium deep fly ball with a runner on 3rd and less than two out.  You're instantly computing the arm (and glove) of the outfielder, the speed (and timing) of the baserunner, the guts (pre-2014) of the catcher;  all while the ball in is the air.

The most artistic play is a 5-4-3 double play.  Done well, it's almost like ballet.
2/9/2016 6:06 PM
sac fly

it's like watching bowling or golf

might as well knit
2/9/2016 6:17 PM
Posted by ozomatli on 2/9/2016 5:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by italyprof on 2/9/2016 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Ditto.
At least as of a few hours ago, the old spreadsheets are still available for download.  For comparison purposes.
2/9/2016 6:35 PM
Are we talking about triples in real life or the simulated triples on this website. Because I'm tired of seeing Pedro Martinez hitting triples. He either hits a triple, or strikes out.
2/9/2016 6:36 PM
I think Joss is now almost unusable. He is a pricy option in OLs now. But more importantly, he will hardly ever be used in themes. I find that Joss doesn't perform very well at the higher caps and his price at $12 something million seemed to be accurate when you saw his performance in a league say over $130 mil. At $14 mil I'll never be tempted to draft him in anything other than an OL. He's still money in an OL and almost makes working him onto your team more of an advantage than it already was before--especially since there will be less of him in the leagues.

It seems that it really was the OLs that needed an overhaul (or offer a few alternatives for OLs). Simple as that. I agree that pricing should be adjusted, but it made more sense to do so once per year when the new crop of players from the real MLB season just ending show up in Sim.

I'm willing to play and enjoy the pricing experiment...just seems a bit shortsighted to me.
2/9/2016 6:58 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.