Living the dream - sort of! Topic

Good news: I just got my first team in Division  I - Bad news - I really suck (D- prestige)!  I could really use some advice on how to approach my first Division I recruiting season. I have read several threads that have indicated you can't wait in Division I until after the initial signing to start recruiting under the theory u are taught in Divisions II & III--that there r still plenty of good players left after the big boys get their recruits and go home! So if that's the case, what do i do? I assume that i would lose any recruiting battle, so am I forced to only target the best of the players that I'm hoping other teams don't want? The one advantage I have is I can offer a starting spot for my initial recruits, but I'm not sure how much leverage that gives me, if any, given my very low prestige! Any advice would be appreciated!
2/13/2016 5:04 PM
At D- prestige you will only be able to get so many players. You want to aim for guys with a lot of potential, as that is the way to build a competitive team.

Local lower rated DI players are there for the taking unless you have other D1 competition - D2 schools will usually back off if you go after someone (it's the wise move for them most of the time with your immense budget per recruit compared to them).

Remember that at D- prestige the rules of pull downs still apply, but  the lines won't be as clear as they are in lower divisions (where you know if you'll need to pull them down). If you're in doubt, place that call to see if he's a pull down or not (or you can even get him).

Also look at the higher rated D2 players, particularly locally. Sometimes there are better guys in that pool than in the low D1 pool.

Get guys you want with potential and you can start building the team up from the D- you are at.

2/13/2016 5:56 PM
It can be really fun recruited players much more talented than you are used to but then you realize it's a sham and waste of time and you don't get rewarded for being talented so it literally is just a long process that defeats your hope.....

personally I'd recomend going 6-6 superclass with a press defense.  this gives you the best ability in recruiting and chance to win big 6 games.  What you can get usually pretty cheaply is guards with potentials that get around 50 ath 80+ spd 50 def and then 70 bh/pas or better if they grow right you get a really good point guard.  the speed makes up for the lowish defense and the bh/pas really helps facilitate the offense.  also big men with ath in the 40's-50's and are blue can actually be really talented even with just 20 growth they get to 60-70 which is enough with good spd/reb/and offensive talent.
2/13/2016 8:14 PM (edited)
Yeah, what theonly says. Press, and motion or flex.

And be patient. It takes six to eight years, knowing you are going into at least three NTS before checking in and taking a big six school.

2/13/2016 10:57 PM
Sounds like great advice!  I'm certainly going to follow it!  Thanks guys!!
2/14/2016 8:02 AM
I would suggest against the 6-6 strategy off the bat.....D1 recruiting is a different animal, prestige is SOOOO much more important it creates a different dynamic that takes some getting used to.....IF I were in your shoes,  I would start and scholly a few guys off the bat in the very first cycle, for $110 they may consider you and if someone else wants them you didn't lose much....you can literally do like 20 players ($2,200)  and maybe get lucky on 2-3.....I would then sit back and lock and see who's in battles, who's unrecruited and who you have a chance of winning.....couple more thoughts....1. Don't be afraid of walk ons, they're more scholarship money next year....2. At low d1, end you battles if you can, knock off your competition, because right after signings the big boys come in and spend their reserve on your recruits if they want them...3. Sign anyone who will make your team better,if there isn't anyone, take the walk on. 
2/14/2016 9:28 AM
Shoot for gems at 500 - 550 range, with a lot of growth potential. Get some international with high skills off the bat, scout them.

Don't battle teams with higher prestige than you or teams with more scholly money or teams in a big six schools with same number of schollies... (I doubt there is a big six team with D- prestige so it won't apply).
2/14/2016 9:38 AM
Living the dream - sort of! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.