Pitcher fatigue for playoffs Topic

If you have a pitcher like D.Fister that has 70 IP that only pitches about 25 innings during the regular season, can he possibly pitch every other game in the playoffs and be ok?   Or does his fatigue get accelerated to a full season before the playoffs start?

Thanks
2/14/2016 12:13 AM
It's accelerated.  He's assumed to have used 95% of his available pitches in the regular season, even if you didn't use him for that many.
2/14/2016 5:33 AM
I never knew that. I always thought that some owners held back pitchers like Milacki for the playoffs as a strategy. That is useless if he is assumed to have used 95% of his pitches already even if never used. 
2/14/2016 6:46 AM
That's exactly why it works the way I described.  Once upon a time owners did that...in fact it was known as the "Milacki strategy."

Here's the brief note from WIS's update on 4/12/07:
  1. Improved range ratings using a hybrid of the relative range factor detailed in the Fielding Bible
  2. Fatigue adjustment for the playoffs (i.e. no more Bob Milacki strategy)
They didn't provide additional detail there, but from various sources over the past few years it's been determined that the 95% rule is in place.

2/14/2016 8:32 AM
Thanks for the info! Fister is a good pitcher for the theme I'm currently in. I suppose I'll go ahead and start using him more at the end of the regular season.
2/14/2016 11:11 AM
Pitcher fatigue for playoffs Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.