Decent, mid rotation SP getting shelled Topic

Late season update: After 35 starts, his ERA is currently at 5.43. He's allowed 46 homers. With 2 starts left he has a shot of cracking the league's top five record for single season HR allowed. Seems rather unlikely for a guy with a GB/FB of 80 and 78 OVR. Somehow he still managed a 14-14 record despite his garbage stats.

I wonder if the sim adds a hidden luck rating to a player each season.
3/31/2016 1:36 PM (edited)
Posted by mal247 on 2/18/2016 4:37:00 PM (view original):
A guy getting shelled like that sometimes portends an upcoming injury.
That is in real life. This is just fantasy.

3/31/2016 2:05 PM
No need to add a hidden luck factor; that's what randomization does. Try flipping a coin 20 times and see how rare it is to come up with 10 heads and 10 tails.
3/31/2016 3:15 PM
Tec's season 19 guy is a little easier to explain than Tec was letting on. That was the year the divorce happened. Custody hearings, arbitration, seeing her with her new guy, etc. . . I'll eat my hat if I'm wrong.
3/31/2016 9:24 PM
Did she have an affair with the nanny? That will really screw with your head.
4/1/2016 6:03 PM
yes
4/1/2016 10:50 PM
Back to complain some more.

I'm doing something wrong.

Here are last season's final ERA numbers for three of my starters I mentioned earlier in this thread. All of whom have better ratings (IMO) than their ERA's suggest.

Christian Martin 5.4 - Walked in FA and is doing just fine after 3 starts. New team got a steal if he returns to form, signing him to a one year deal for $6.5M
Kirby Blair 5.2 - Doing surprisingly well at 3.1 ERA in 8 innings out of the pen.
Chico Pulido 4.9 - Still performing slightly below how I'd expect this season at 4.8 ERA after 3 starts.

And now this season, Vitas Erickson, top ~10 pitcher in the league, is at 6.29 ERA after 5 starts, three of those loses against teams who are 6-11, 5-11, and 6-10. It's Deja Vu all over again.

I'm in Houston, which is slightly hitter friendly, but these are numbers are closer to what I would expect if I played at Coors.

Last season I had the MVP, Cy Young (not mentioned above), RoY, and the best RP in the league with a decent supporting cast and lost the first playoff series 3-1 to a guy who lost half his rotation during the season. I feel like either I'm not effectively using the talent I have or I'm having a lot of bad luck.
5/16/2016 5:16 PM (edited)
When I run into issues with pitchers I usually reduce the pitch count and increase the pull count and give them 3 games to see whats happening. You have take note of the opponents and ballpark in those three starts, but I usually find some sort of medium and get them back on track.
5/16/2016 5:06 PM
Erickson is at already at 2 for "Call Bullpen", should I up it to 3? I hate to change too much with him since he is able to give almost 300 IP a season.
5/16/2016 6:16 PM
If you're not happy with the results, do you want to give him 300 IP?
5/16/2016 6:19 PM
Posted by brianplath on 5/16/2016 6:16:00 PM (view original):
Erickson is at already at 2 for "Call Bullpen", should I up it to 3? I hate to change too much with him since he is able to give almost 300 IP a season.
Idk. If one of my pitchers is hitting a wall I have no prob putting him at 3 with a 60/70 pitch count to see what happens. If he improves you can start working him back up.
5/16/2016 8:21 PM
Dumpster fire update: Through 59 games, my team sits at a .441 win% at 26-33 (95 win team the prior year).

Lowlights include:
- Last year's ROY out 220 days with a herniated disk. 84 OVR -> 78 with power and contact taking 10 point hits. That's with 20/20 training/med
- Team ERA of 3.94 last year, currently sitting in 2nd to last place with a 5.44 ERA this year.
- Stud setup man has a 6.57 ERA through 50 IP, career ERA before this season was 3.06.

On the bright side I may have two RoY candidates. So I've got that going for me, which is nice.

Anyone with better karma than me willing to take it over, feel free to PM me. I'm having a hard time managing 4 HBD teams as it is.

Team in question: Houston Aeros
5/31/2016 1:34 PM
◂ Prev 12
Decent, mid rotation SP getting shelled Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.