/15/2016 9:30 PM ashamael
What is the lowest amount of cumulative assist% required to be on the floor to avoid incurring a penalty towards fg%?

(for reference, I'm quoting this from your knowledge base:

"Assist% is a component that can impact (positively or negatively) the shooting percentage of the player's team on offense.")
2/17/2016 2:49 PM Customer Support
xxx,

There's no floor for assist percentage. It's purely a modifier, either positive or negative, to the shooter's FG%, based on the quality of his teammates. So if your team is an average passing team, you would get no significant penalty or boost to FG% from that.
2/17/2016 6:04 PM ashamael
If someone's ast% can be a negative modifier, that equates to the same thing. At what point does someone's ast% become a negative modifier? Below 10%? Below 5%? Some other arbitrary number?
2/18/2016 12:06 PM Customer Support
The effect is not based on each individual player, but the aggregate of the guys on the floor. From that, a positive or negative modifier is calculated based primarily on how the total compares to a historical average.
2/19/2016 2:16 AM ashamael
which is what I originally asked...

"What is the lowest amount of cumulative assist% required to be on the floor to avoid incurring a penalty towards fg%?"

*mind blown*
2/19/2016 2:18 AM
Classic
2/19/2016 10:48 AM
I doubt anybody currently working at WIS has any idea how the NBA SIM works. Heck, most of them were probably in Elementary School the last time there was an update, and why would anybody bother to explain anything to them?
2/19/2016 4:57 PM
Maybe this is the time the Hitchhiker's Guide meant for the answer 42?
2/19/2016 5:14 PM
and the final insult:
2/19/2016 1:51 PM Customer Support
We don't divulge those kind of specific details about the engine.
2/19/2016 6:53 PM
2/19/2016 7:33 PM ashamael
Why not? What could it possibly hurt your playerbase knowing that less than, say, 50% combined ast% on the floor at any point will incur a penalty. I'm not asking for specific tiers of bonuses, I just want to know what the lowest number is so that I can attempt to build a wilt triple-double squad without hurting everyone's fg%.

But while we're on the subject about what you will and will nto divulge, what's up with still not having tov% as a viewable/searchable/sortable stat? That's integral to the engine, yet you keep it hidden. Owners should not have to go to another website to find this information out about the players whose numbers you didn't just fabricate, and break out the calculator for those you did.

All of this was brought up at least six years ago, and you thank me for the input & say you'll keep it in mind when future updates come...

...what future update? To be blunt, y'all ain't done **** with this sim in a long, long time. I think 2010 you did the salary adjustment, and before that you did the offensive range addition in 2008. That's it in 8 years. You ignore your customers in the forums and mock them when they send tickets. Rather than make false statements about my question, why didn't you just say "We don't divulge..." in the beginning? It makes you guys look dumb & ****** off a paying customer. And again, it's not like you're keeping state secrets that will endanger everyone's safety. There's probably only 50 or 60 people left playing your nba sim... sharing some info about it won't run the rest of them off; your inattention will.

And what's up with the NFL sim? Neither the playoffs nor the postseason awards have any bearing on the players' ratings, yet the new players still haven't been released. Talk about no updates... that thing hasn't been updated since I started playing here in 2007 on other accounts. The NFL is the biggest sport in America yet this sim receives even less attention than the already described lack of attention of the NBA sim.

You really should rethink what Customer Support actually means and remember that you're speaking to a customer here. A long-time customer. I'm not some guy that just started playing - I've been here for almost a decade, playing multiple teams at a time for almost all of it. I've seen so many people leave over the years. Their number 1 complaint? Customer support & the lack of attention given to the games that brought them here in the first place.

Just some things to think about while you're actively *not* helping anybody that pays for your product.
2/19/2016 7:33 PM
Bravo Ash. Bravo.
2/19/2016 7:47 PM
Awesome job Ash!
2/19/2016 8:27 PM
I've got nothing to say about any of this because I'm new
2/19/2016 9:05 PM
2/22/2016 11:45 AM Customer Support
If we give away something like this, smart coaches would know exactly what to draft, and no more. We don't give away certain details because we don't want the game to become a giant math problem. It's meant to be a game, which simulates reality, so you can generally assume that it works in a way that you would expect it to.

I understand that can be frustrating, but we have to maintain some level of mystery to the game.

As for TOV%, that was never added to the game because it's currently calculated in the engine instead of being stored like the other values. It could be added in the future.

You're right that we haven't updated SimLeague Basketball in a long time. We have to prioritize our work based on our resources and which games are the most successful. I'm sure that's not an answer you want to hear, but that's the truth. It doesn't mean we don't care about the game or the guys playing it. It just means that right now we don't have the manpower to work on regular updates.
2/22/2016 10:29 PM
lol... they act like it isn't already a large math problem that smart owners haven't already figured out...
2/22/2016 10:30 PM
Posted by ashamael on 2/22/2016 10:29:00 PM (view original):
2/22/2016 11:45 AM Customer Support
If we give away something like this, smart coaches would know exactly what to draft, and no more. We don't give away certain details because we don't want the game to become a giant math problem. It's meant to be a game, which simulates reality, so you can generally assume that it works in a way that you would expect it to.

I understand that can be frustrating, but we have to maintain some level of mystery to the game.

As for TOV%, that was never added to the game because it's currently calculated in the engine instead of being stored like the other values. It could be added in the future.

You're right that we haven't updated SimLeague Basketball in a long time. We have to prioritize our work based on our resources and which games are the most successful. I'm sure that's not an answer you want to hear, but that's the truth. It doesn't mean we don't care about the game or the guys playing it. It just means that right now we don't have the manpower to work on regular updates.
Working as a programmer, I can tell you that this is utter bullshit. For years programmers have gotten away with the "manpower" excuse, but the fact of the matter is they do a job most can't and they milk it for everything it's work. They work at a very slow pace because their bosses don't know enough about what they do to tell them they should be able to get it done in a more efficient manner. It's an unfortunate acceptance of lazy behavior.
2/22/2016 10:53 PM
It's the same **** they said in 2010. In six years you haven't found a moment to do something for the nba sim? Yeah, right...
2/23/2016 2:24 AM
interesting about the TOV being 'calculated' - might explain why TOs are so f--ked up
2/23/2016 11:00 AM (edited)
Posted by ashamael on 2/22/2016 10:30:00 PM (view original):
lol... they act like it isn't already a large math problem that smart owners haven't already figured out...
it's funny when someone actually uses your own words of criticism from 10 years ago to defend their position having already instituted an approach that all but makes that thesis a fact - wait is 'funny' the right word?
2/23/2016 11:03 AM
1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.