A Different Kind of 70's League (Full!) Topic

Back in the old days, we used to create many different and interesting drafts, some of which would take hours and multiple attempts to get a team that you liked. I hope this will be one of those drafts.

First a couple of requirements:
ALL PLAYERS WILL HAVE A DEFENSIVE RATING IN THE 70s. Hence the 70’s League
ALL PLAYERS MUST HAVE A GAME PLAYED PERCENTAGE OF 75% OR HIGHER. (excluding the 3 scrubs and goalies)

General Rules
$110M cap
No WW, trades, ML, PI, Clones
Max out: 4
Relaxed Roster

FORWARDS

You will draft 4 different lines, a Top Line, Second Line, Grinding Line and a Checking Line. Each line will have differing drafting and playing requirements. One constant for all lines (Including PP and SH lines) is as follows: YOU CANNOT HAVE MORE THAN 1 PLAYER WITH A SHOOTING % AT 20% OR HIGHER PER LINE. You can play your lines anywhere (for instance, you can have your Top Line as Line 3 if you choose), however the lines as drafted will have to stay together as line requirements should prohibit the co-mingling of players from different lines. This will of course be on the honor system, but non-compliance will result in forfeiture of games.

Top Line
Salary: $30M
Draft anyone you want with player guidelines, however, there cannot be a difference of more than $3.0M between the highest priced player and the lowest priced player on that line.

Second Line
Salary: $20M
Draft anyone you want with player guidelines, however, there cannot be a difference of more than $1.5M between the highest priced player and the lowest priced player on that line.

Grinding Line
Salary: $15M
Draft anyone you want with player guidelines, however, there cannot be a difference of more than $1.0M between the highest priced player and the lowest priced player on that line.

Checking Line
Salary: $7M
Draft anyone you want with player guidelines, however, there cannot be a difference of more than $0.5M between the highest priced player and the lowest priced player on that line.

Power Play Lines
Only Players from the Top Line and Second Line are eligible. No Salary limits, however keep in mind that you can only have 1 player with a Shooting % of 20% or greater on each line.

Penalty Kill Lines
Only players from the Grinding Line or Checking Line are eligible. No Salary limits, but shooting % rule applies.

Scrubs
Choose any 3 $165,000 players with a Def rating in the 70’s

DEFENSEMAN
Salary: $30M

Draft 6 defensemen based on the dollar limits listed below.
ALL defensemen must play on at least 1 PP pairing or PK pairing.
There cannot be more than a $1M difference in player salaries for each pair, EXCLUDING PP and PK pairs.

Draft 1 D-man with salary between $7M & $8M
Draft 1 D-man with salary between $6M & $7M
Draft 1 D-man with salary between $5M & $6M
Draft 1 D-man with salary between $4M & $5M
Draft 1 D-man with salary between $3M & $4M
Draft 1 D-man with salary between $2M & $3M

GOALIES
SALARY: $10M
Draft any goalie you want, however there cannot be more than a $4.5M difference in salaries between the two.

You will notice that the Salaries when added together are greater than $110M. That is where the fun will come in as you will have to manage the $2M plus (don’t forget the 3 $165K scrubs!). I played around this weekend coming up with the exact limits and drafted a couple of teams. They looked interesting and different from the standard cookie cutter teams and would make for a different, and fun league. Thanks for looking and I hope we get enough to make this league a go.

I will reserve the right to add or alter any requirements as questions arise. Also, please don’t sign up requesting changes of any of the requirements or salary limits. The fun is drafting within the guidelines as set, not changing them to suit how you want to draft.
6/12/2016 8:41 PM (edited)
Those up for something different.

1. bb_icetime
2. SAKABAKBRG
3. bradpark22
4. the_jsa
5. zero1940
6. whalers10
7. taybaijor
8. poddy
9. warrior0510
10. chuckinrlp
11. peter_puck
12. jcarver67
13. mattyberk
14. knightthorn
15. tywebb3
16. zubrus1
17. Auxesis
18. goodman_team
19. Kiteport
20. lostnfound74
21. sholdigger2
22. poolster04
23. slapshot5
24. bb_icetime
6/13/2016 9:20 AM (edited)
This could be interesting. I'm in.
2/29/2016 2:16 PM
i'm in saphead.
2/29/2016 5:02 PM
I appreciate the development work you have put in to polishing this theme! In!
2/29/2016 6:34 PM
I have a team drafted, I'm in
2/29/2016 7:26 PM
In, I miss these challenging drafts. The team will probably suck, but the draft will be fun.
2/29/2016 8:39 PM (edited)
Welcome guys! Thanks for giving this a shot.
3/1/2016 8:10 AM
You bet, I am in for this!
3/1/2016 11:27 AM
in
3/1/2016 5:25 PM
Thanks for joining guys! Hope you enjoy the draft.
3/2/2016 10:14 AM
I got to study this one for a while. Looks like a fun thing.

I have some credits coming, so probably yeah, Under Lost or Highstyx5.. tough to do though. I was ok until I got past the 20% thing and to forward lines and money and etc. Plus, sometimes you have to switch wingers line to line to get them to work, so this is a maybe
3/8/2016 1:33 AM (edited)
I assume if/when guys get injured we can plug in the scrubs and the salary requirements are waived during the injury. Even with 75% Games played, there will still be 2-4 game injuries plus suspensions. That leads to my next question. There are no defensemen available as scrubs based on the rules. What will we do if/when a defenseman gets hurt?
3/4/2016 12:47 AM
Posted by BlueBladeAce on 3/2/2016 10:06:00 PM (view original):
I got to study this one for a while. Looks like a fun thing. 69-70 and 79-80 are good????

I have some credits coming, so probably yeah, Under Lost or Highstyx5.. tough to do though. I was ok until I got past the 20% thing and to forward lines and money and etc. Plus, sometimes you have to switch wingers line to line to get them to work, so this is a maybe
In regard to 69-70 and 79-80, it doesn't say anything about the players you choose being from the 70s. I think all years are fair game, as long as all of the other criteria are met.
3/4/2016 6:52 AM
Posted by SAKABAKBRG on 3/4/2016 12:47:00 AM (view original):
I assume if/when guys get injured we can plug in the scrubs and the salary requirements are waived during the injury. Even with 75% Games played, there will still be 2-4 game injuries plus suspensions. That leads to my next question. There are no defensemen available as scrubs based on the rules. What will we do if/when a defenseman gets hurt?
I thought about that. I thought the 75% rule would take care of that but you are right, you never know. Will change that to No injuries/suspensions to be sure.
3/4/2016 8:28 AM
123456 Next ▸
A Different Kind of 70's League (Full!) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.