2016 Predictions Topic

I think it will be tight, but a lot has to go right for the Yankees to win anything.
3/17/2016 2:16 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/17/2016 10:35:00 AM (view original):
As of right now, assuming everyone is healthy, the Yankees have the strongest team in the East. And I hate them, so it pains me to have to say that.

They have the best bullpen, the second-best rotation (behind TB), the third-best offense (behind TO and Baltimore), and a good defense.
I'm a Yankee fan and it pains me to say I disagree. I think Toronto has the strongest team in the AL east even with the loss of David Price. Too much has to go exactly right for the Yankees to win that division.
3/17/2016 2:49 PM
I have a fairly hard time seeing anyone but Boston or Toronto winning the AL East. Toronto still has that lineup, but they're getting older, so there's some uncertainty. The Sox lineup just seems to me to be poised to explode. So many young, super-talented guys. If they start to click by June or so they could end up winning a ton of games.
3/17/2016 3:14 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
just because you've watched him a lot? I think you need more than that to win a cy young.
3/17/2016 7:15 PM
Posted by wylie715 on 3/16/2016 1:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 3/16/2016 1:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tribechamp17 on 3/15/2016 11:52:00 PM (view original):
AL East: Jays
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Astros
AL WC: Rangers, Rays

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
NL WC: Pirates, Giants

ALCS: Indians/Astros
NLCS: Mets/Cubs
You forgot the Tigers :)
we'd all like to forget the Tigers...and you!
3/18/2016 5:37 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/17/2016 3:14:00 PM (view original):
I have a fairly hard time seeing anyone but Boston or Toronto winning the AL East. Toronto still has that lineup, but they're getting older, so there's some uncertainty. The Sox lineup just seems to me to be poised to explode. So many young, super-talented guys. If they start to click by June or so they could end up winning a ton of games.
This is the kind of review that I see a lot of and it baffles me. The Sox have an oft-injured Buchholz and garbage behind Price. Panda is in decline, Pedroia is always hurt and Hanley is a headcase. They're also relying on Bradley this year and he's been madly inconsistent.

It's no different than 2012, 2014 and 2015 when the "experts" were slobbering all over Boston, saying they made good acquisitions and are poised to bust out, and then they finish last. The Sox do not have a good team.

Jays may slug their way to first (though they have a mediocre rotation behind Stroman), but I don't see any way the Sox finish higher than third, at the absolute best.
3/20/2016 5:36 PM (edited)
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/20/2016 5:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 3/17/2016 3:14:00 PM (view original):
This is the kind of review that I see a lot of and it baffles me. The Sox have an oft-injured Buchholz and garbage behind Price. Panda is in decline, Pedroia is always hurt and Hanley is a headcase. They're also relying on Bradley this year and he's been madly inconsistent.

It's no different than 2012, 2014 and 2015 when the "experts" were slobbering all over Boston, saying they made good acquisitions and are poised to bust out, and then they finish last. The Sox do not have a good team.

Jays may slug their way to first (though they have a mediocre rotation behind Stroman), but I don't see any way the Sox finish higher than third, at the absolute best.
Totally agree with everything but the pitching part. Their obvious problem was that they didn't have an ace. But they don't have garbage behind Price. They have a bunch of strong #3 pitchers. Wade Miley, Rick Porcello, Clay Bucholz, and Joe Kelly could easily make any big league starting rotation. I see Joe Kelly being the odd man out with the emergence of Eduardo Rodriguez. Easily a playoff team, but I see them getting swept in the first round.
3/21/2016 12:20 AM
you really don't keep up with rosters, do you?
3/21/2016 5:55 AM
Posted by edsortails on 3/21/2016 5:55:00 AM (view original):
you really don't keep up with rosters, do you?
What did I say wrong? I mean, I haven't been paying attention to Spring Training.

Edit: oh, Eduardo Rodriguez has a kneecap injury. But the article says he'd only miss a few games

edit again: Nevermind, Wade Miley was traded. Meant Henry Owens
3/21/2016 10:21 AM (edited)
Well, Henry Owens had an okay year least year. I mean, he didn't do worse than Porcello, Masterson, and Kelley
3/21/2016 10:28 AM
Kelly is probably their best bet of the remaining starters - I think he won his last 8 starts last year. Porcello is overrated and overpaid, Buchholz can't stay healthy and Owens and Rodriguez have potential, but haven't proven anything yet.

I just think it's funny that people are in such a rush to give the Sox the benefit of the doubt after they've drastically underperformed all predictions and expectations in 3 of the last 4 seasons. I don't see any way they finish above third place.
3/21/2016 11:14 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/21/2016 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Kelly is probably their best bet of the remaining starters - I think he won his last 8 starts last year. Porcello is overrated and overpaid, Buchholz can't stay healthy and Owens and Rodriguez have potential, but haven't proven anything yet.

I just think it's funny that people are in such a rush to give the Sox the benefit of the doubt after they've drastically underperformed all predictions and expectations in 3 of the last 4 seasons. I don't see any way they finish above third place.
The Sox are not an impressive organization. They spend a LOT of money but it never seems to be towards any kind of grand plan. And they have had two big spending sprees that have not come to any real affect. I have no idea why they thought that Panda and Ramirez were gonna be positives. They had BIG questions before they became FAs and both organizations that chose to not resign them generally have good decision making.

They obviously are VERY good at developing talent, but I have seen no real cohesive plan to give that talent a chance to develop.

This season we can see that Castillo, Swihart, and Bradley will e given some time - at least in the beginning of the year - to play regularly. We'll see where that leads.
3/21/2016 1:36 PM
Yeah, it baffles me. I'm an O's fan, so take it for what it's worth. But the Sox have 3 last place finishes in the last 4 years, and people can't wait to give them the benefit of the doubt and put them at the top of the division despite a weak rotation behind Price and inconsistent/unproven players throughout their lineup. Meanwhile, the Orioles lead the AL in wins the last 4 seasons using the same approach they're taking this year (strong defense, strong bullpen, power lineup), and people give them no credit for that and put them at the bottom.

Seems a lot of "experts" just make their picks based on who they'd like to see win.
3/29/2016 10:24 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 3/29/2016 10:24:00 AM (view original):
Yeah, it baffles me. I'm an O's fan, so take it for what it's worth. But the Sox have 3 last place finishes in the last 4 years, and people can't wait to give them the benefit of the doubt and put them at the top of the division despite a weak rotation behind Price and inconsistent/unproven players throughout their lineup. Meanwhile, the Orioles lead the AL in wins the last 4 seasons using the same approach they're taking this year (strong defense, strong bullpen, power lineup), and people give them no credit for that and put them at the bottom.

Seems a lot of "experts" just make their picks based on who they'd like to see win.
Yet another reason I hate the Dead Sox. Oh well. As long as they keep signing those albatross contracts, they will continue to lose.
3/29/2016 1:29 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
2016 Predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.