Snubbed by first-round pick Topic

I was pumped when I found out I had drafted a probable stud in shortstop Gil Rivera with the No. 12 overall pick. I got the initial rebuff and was waiting for word on whether I had to make another offer when I got the email just now saying he was exploring other options (he was a college junior who was also considering the NBA).

My draft settings were set to drafting conservative signings, so I am confused. Why didn't I get at least one shot at raising my offer?
3/9/2016 3:42 PM
The setting you wanted was Very Conservative, if you wanted to be sure your #1 pick would sign. "A 'Conservative' approach will allow up to 1 questionable selection." I believe if you have "Conservative" set for multiple rounds you'll only draft one total questionable sign player, but am not sure about that. But even if that's the case, the first round is when you'd likely get the questionable player since you cannot already have drafted one. It's common to not get a chance to make a second offer.
3/9/2016 6:30 PM
If you still have the email he sent, use the link from that email to re-offer the same amount again. If you don't have that email you won't be able to get back to his offer page to re-make the offer, and you're stuck with a comp pick next season.
3/9/2016 6:43 PM
Like dedelman said, when you get those emails NEVER delete them. By going back in and reoffering again and again I have a 75% success rate,
3/9/2016 8:30 PM
I once signed a player who turned me down twice. I suppose any outcome is possible.

3/9/2016 8:33 PM
Sweet! Trying that now. Thanks!
3/9/2016 9:04 PM
Should I raise the offer if the first time doesn't work?
3/9/2016 9:13 PM
Never raise the offer on your own. Only raise the offer to meet a specific demand from the player.
3/9/2016 10:33 PM
Got it. First message back is is a carbon copy of the initial message after the draft: "Deal is fine, but he is still weighing the option of playing professional basketball. He needs some time."
3/10/2016 12:10 AM
Posted by sjpoker on 3/9/2016 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Like dedelman said, when you get those emails NEVER delete them. By going back in and reoffering again and again I have a 75% success rate,
I've done this twice myself. The guy signed on the second round of negotiations both times (after a subsequent second demand).
3/10/2016 5:56 AM
Just for my information... if you re-offer after the first refusal, does that auto forfeit the Type D pick? That's why I kept trying with the guy I got after the second refusal, I figured the Type D was off the table so I had to go all in.

3/10/2016 8:14 AM
Nope. You just keep reoffering the same thing again and again as long as you are able. You will either get pick compensation (if you are do that) or he will come back and ask for a slight increase.
3/10/2016 8:27 AM
So no downside to it then, really.
3/10/2016 8:39 AM
Last season, I had the 15th pick. I drafted the player I had rated 3rd overall. He was a "Probably won't sign". Mom was his "agent". I made 9 offers total. The last offer was more than double his initial demand. He never did sign. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.
3/10/2016 12:37 PM
Posted by newmex on 3/10/2016 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Last season, I had the 15th pick. I drafted the player I had rated 3rd overall. He was a "Probably won't sign". Mom was his "agent". I made 9 offers total. The last offer was more than double his initial demand. He never did sign. That's the first time that's ever happened to me.
Its not absolute, but its worth just resubmitting. But usually if you are successful they will tell you what they want as an increase in bonus. Never offer more unless they specifically ask for it.
3/10/2016 1:13 PM
123 Next ▸
Snubbed by first-round pick Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.