Non-conference promotion/relegation leagues? Topic

Starting off with D-IAA to determine feasibility, if there's enough interest, could also create this for D-IA in the future!

Would anyone be interested in doing a promotion/relegation league during the non-conference season? I'd be willing to manage the league and tell people each year who plays who. We could start this in Season 121.

For those who aren't familiar with how promotion/relegation leagues work, here's how they work:

Say we get 12 people who are interested. We'd break them down into 3 leagues (just example names):

Champions League
Silver League
The Doghouse

Each team in each league would have 3 other opponents to schedule in their league during the non-conference season. If you're in Champions League and you win the league (go 3-0, or 2-1 with tiebreaker win), you're the Champion (we need a cooler name)! If you win Silver League or The Doghouse, you move up to Champions League and Silver League, respectively. However, if you are in last place in Champions or Silver League, you move down to Silver League or The Doghouse, respectively.

This would be a great way to allow some early season trash talking (cjsweat has mentioned on his shows he wants to see more of that): "OHHHHH!! Naskin got sent to the Doghouse!!!"

The more and more people that are interested in this kind of league, the more "levels" of leagues we can add into this.

The main hurdles I see to this are: People from the same conference can't schedule each other. Well, they should play 8 out of 11 conference opponents during the season (so 73% chance it'll work out), so that game can count as the game for the league. Alternatively, they could play a common opponent, and see who has a better point margin vs that opponent to determine who wins. Last thought: Is it possible to schedule conference opponents during exhibition? Maybe we could schedule the games then.

Any additional input is appreciated--just thought of this idea so it could definitely use some polish :)

EDIT - For initial determinations of what leagues people are in, we can look at WIS rankings after the non-conference schedule finishes this year. This allows me to make up the schedule, and also gives people plenty of time afterwards to schedule additional NC opponents for next year.

I think 4 teams would be best for each division, as it'd be 3 of the 5 allowed non-conference games. If we have an odd amount, some leagues may be only 3. Any new teams that want to join in future seasons, start at the bottom.

Coaches in so far:
Coach School Conf Schedule issues next year
naskin Albany NEC
orangepace Tennessee Tech OVC X
spcbuzzard St Mary's Big Sky
truedevil33 Sam Houston State Big Sky
hookemhorns7 Alabama A&M SWAC X
jasonfreeman Drake PFL
husker111 Jacksonville State OVC
awags Holy Cross Ivy X
genuvar Jacksonville PFL
cjsweat Liberty SWAC
phimutau Texas State Big Sky
dalailama12 Alabama State SWAC X
chetty1963 Maine A10 X
justaguy Cal Poly Big Sky
b1297 San Diego PFL X
jtd79 Northeastern A10 X
andrew5975 SC State MEAC X
mraston Howard MEAC
babcick Eastern Illinois OVC
4/20/2016 5:11 PM (edited)
I like the idea. Creative and sounds fun. I'd be in for sure.
3/30/2016 9:15 PM
I'd be game.
3/30/2016 9:32 PM
I'm in
3/30/2016 10:20 PM
It sounds like a great idea. Other problems/ideas would be:

How do you determine what "league" everyone starts in? Base it off WIS finish or what?

What if the same teams in the conference play in regular season and cc game and split?

To resolve your issue for same conference teams in the same league you could just default the tiebreaker to WIS ranking or wait until the CC games if they were to meet. I don't like the idea of using exhibition games because sometimes teams have little to no depth at key positions, take my team for example... if I had to use exhibs vs most any team I would lose because I had barely enough linemen on both sides of the ball to "fill the field."

Just my 2 cents and thoughts
3/30/2016 10:31 PM
I'm interested . Don't think you should use exhib for anything.
3/31/2016 12:25 AM
"How do you determine what "league" everyone starts in? Base it off WIS finish or what?"

--Probably go with WIS ranking after non-conference play this season for the initial setup for next year.

"What if the same teams in the conference play in regular season and cc game and split?"

--We'll announce at the beginning of the season, if they are meeting up during normal conference scheduling, that the normal conference game is what counts for the league. The conference championship carries its own bragging rights :)

"To resolve your issue for same conference teams in the same league you could just default the tiebreaker to WIS ranking or wait until the CC games if they were to meet."

--I like the CC games being the ultimate tiebreaker if they don't meet in conference play. Otherwise, we could default to either: WIS ranking, like you said, or else net margin of victory vs a common opponent (selected at beginning of season). We could vote on what method people prefer--this is one of the tougher obstacles I think to overcome.

"I don't like the idea of using exhibition games because sometimes teams have little to no depth at key positions, take my team for example... if I had to use exhibs vs most any team I would lose because I had barely enough linemen on both sides of the ball to "fill the field.""

--I agree, but if it came down to exhibition, you could schedule it on the last 2 days to make sure you have a full roster. Again, we can use other methods instead, too. I will listen to more ideas and put some things up to vote in the coming days!
3/31/2016 12:54 AM (edited)
I would suggest that if you're going to run the initial setup based on WIS ranking after non-conf, that you actually do it in reverse order, meaning.. the higher WIS rated teams should start in a DogFight to get out of the DogHouse. At minimum it will create some artificial movement between leagues the first few seasons.
3/31/2016 1:37 AM
Sign me up.. always like the idea of using non-conf for something other then just random games.
3/31/2016 4:14 AM
I will do it.
3/31/2016 6:12 AM
I'm interested
3/31/2016 7:15 AM
Here are my ideas: minimum of 5 per division (start with 2 divisions and if we have more people add another); schedule up to 3 opponents via non conference; conference games count (or dont) based on record but if you make it count make the CC count as well so in theory someone could come back and win.. point differential is the tiebreaker

1st Example:
jasonfreeman (PFL) 3-0
Genuvar (PFL) 3-0
truedevil33 (Big Sky) 1-2
naskin (NEC) 0-3
spcbuzzard (Big Sky) 0-2

me and jason may or may not be scheduled against each other and the same from truedevil and spcbuzzard.. all members still get 2-3 non conf games and if me and jason run the non-conf 3-0 (which means everyone else lost atleast 2 games) we would be tied going into conference play..
-IF we dont have a game during normal conference play then we could meet up in the CC to determine it all OR one of us falls short it goes to the tiebreaker by point diff.. if he destroyed everyone and I barely beat them he should be the champion
-IF we do have a conference game and he wins and somehow I still make it to the CC AND win then I should have a chance to win the league also (based on tiebreaker rules).
-IF we were in the same division in the same conference and played every season AND we won all of our non-conference games the game we play in conference would be the tiebreaker.

2nd Example:
jasonfreeman (PFL) 2-1
Genuvar (PFL) 2-1
truedevil33 (Big Sky) 1-2
naskin (NEC) 2-1
spcbuzzard (Big Sky) 0-2

This example is very similar #1.. except now naskin is tied with the guys from the PFL.. in this case I don’t think its fair to use the conference games and would say to just use the tiebreaker rules

3rd Example:
jasonfreeman (PFL) 2-1
Genuvar (PFL) 2-1
truedevil33 (Big Sky) 0-3
naskin (NEC) 1-2
spcbuzzard (Big Sky) 2-0

In this example spcbuzzard actually beats the 2 teams from the PFL but only got scheduled 2 games (this is probably going to happen no matter how many teams you have in a division with these small numbers).. I still like tiebreaker based on point differential here it gives him an incentive to beat the crap out of us and it puts the pressure on us to have a strong showing against the 2 other teams we face.

4th Example:
jasonfreeman (PFL) 1-2
Genuvar (PFL) 1-2
truedevil33 (Big Sky) 3-0
naskin (NEC) 0-3
spcbuzzard (Big Sky) 2-0

Similar to example #1.. conference games and/or CC should count.. if they don’t meet in conference play at all then tiebreaker rules.

Of course if the top division ends up with 4 or 5 teams from the OVC this all becomes a headache based mostly on conference play unless you limit how many of each conference can be in each division or something.
3/31/2016 8:18 AM
Another idea for determining where to start.. bkdries has been tracking head-to-head results in his Elite Challenges so you could use the winning percentage from that.
3/31/2016 8:51 AM
Sign me up
3/31/2016 8:56 AM
I am in!

We would just have to have the kinks knocked out and at this point I only have 1 open spot for season 121 so I wouldn't be able to "actively" participate until 122. I also think that it is a good idea to keep it at 3 games for this event since some of us are doing the other agreements for long-term home and home series.
3/31/2016 9:50 AM
12345 Next ▸
Non-conference promotion/relegation leagues? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.