1950 Historical Replay League draft Topic

MLB 115368

League Rules

Please read these again before entering your team

OK, if you’ve come this far, then hopefully you’re comfortable with the premise that if you join this league there will be seasons where your team is just going to suck, and there will not be much that you can do about it. Hey, someone’s going to end up managing the 1961 Mets.
Here’s how we we’re going to do this:
  1. The league will start with the 1950 MLB season and progress forward one season at a time. I do have a plan to incorporate the 19th century at some point, but right now there are a few too many logistical challenges with that era.
  2. In season 1, once we have 16 owners, we will have a draft of the 16 MLB teams from 1950. Randomized draft order usingwww.random.org.
  3. For the 1950 season, we will use Alternate WIS Format B, which entails:
    1. 162 games
    2. 16 teams divided into 2 leagues and a total of 4 divisions
    3. 4 playoff teams (the 4 division winners; there is no wildcard in this format)
    4. No interleague play
  4. This is different from the way MLB was organized in 1950, but it will allow us to have 4 postseason teams rather than 2…and will lead to some real drafting strategy as discussed below.
  5. The 8 NL teams will be in NL, aligned geographically (4 easternmost teams in the NL East, etc.) The 8 AL teams will be in the AL, also aligned geographically.
  6. Subsequent seasons will use different formats, to reflect the way baseball changed over the years.
  7. Once you have chosen your team, you will go into the draft center and enter your actual players from that season. You can use the “load historical team” feature if you want…this is often the easiest and cleanest way to build your roster, but it’s not infallible. Occasionally players are missed when you load a team that way. If you prefer to draft your players individually, keep in mind that:
    1. For players who were traded or otherwise appeared for multiple teams in a single season, you MUST use the partial-season version of that player. If the player did not get enough PA or IP with your team to warrant a partial-season version then you cannot use him.
    2. All players who played for your team in real life, and are in the WIS database, must be on your roster.
    3. Only players who played for your team in real life may be used in games. This is important, because many teams, especially from the early years, do not have 25 players in the database. In such cases, you will draft additional $200,000 players from the database (from any 19th century season) to fill out your roster, but these players MUST:
      1. Be manually set to rest at all times
      2. Be manually removed from your player rest, defensive replacement, and PH hierarchies.
    4. In other words, these non-roster players may not be used in games, unless WIS slots them in because of some sort of emergency, and owners should take every possible step to ensure that doesn’t happen.
    5. It is quite likely that some teams will be short of PA or IP, perhaps even very short. So be it.
  8. We will use “draft your own” AAA with the following parameters
    1. Each season, the theme rules will be set for a number of AAA players sufficient to allow the team with the largest real-life roster enough slots to incorporate all of their players.
    2. Teams that have more than 25 players in the WIS database will draft these additional players into AAA slots.These players MAY be used in games, and the transaction deadline will be set as late as possible to allow for roster moves throughout the season.
    3. Teams with unfilled AAA slots can either draft your own $200K players to fill the AAA slots, or just let WIS fill those slots with random AAA players, but in either case, those players MAY NOT be used in games. They should remain in AAA the entire season.
    4. Again, the purpose of AAA is to include as many real-life players as possible; no SIM-generated AAA players should ever be used in games in this league.
  9. By all means, do your best to win as many games as you can with the players you have! This is important for several reasons, including…
  10. …This is NOT a keeper league. Each season we will redraft from the pool of available teams. However, unlike with season 1, these drafts will not be random. Instead, owners whose teams most overachieve in the current season will receive the highest draft picks for the next season. “Overachievement” will be defined as “greatest relative improvement in winning percentage.” Or for those who prefer a formula: (WIS winning percentage – MLB winning percentage)/MLB winning percentage. So, if you get stuck with a terrible team in year 1, fear not. If you can win a few more games than they did in real life, you’re probably in great shape to draw a better team in season 2. If, because of owner turnover, we have new owners in the league, they will draft last in their first season (we will use random.org to generate the order for new owners if there are more than one in any given season.)
  11. There will be real drafting strategy here. Do you pick the best remaining team available when it’s your turn? Or the team with the greatest possibility of improving on their real-life record? Or, since we’re using 4-team divisions, you may prefer to take a team with less talent, but a better divisional draw.
  12. Obviously we are not allowing trades or waiver wire here.
  13. 13. Use stadium which your team used as their home field for the year being replayed.
4/2/2016 4:52 PM (edited)

Here is your sequence:

8 16 5 2 4 12 10 7 6 11 13 9 3 14 15 1

Timestamp: 2016-03-31 01:29:03 UTC

3/30/2016 9:31 PM
draft order for the 1950 season

1. rickysdad44 Cleveland Indians 92 wins

2. bench5 New York Giants 86 wins

3. hacker7 New York Yankees 98 wins

4. bheid408 Detroit Tigers 95 wins

5. razorclams Brooklyn Dodgers 89 wins

6. bublooo Cincinnati Reds 66 wins

7. Redraider66 Chicago White Sox 60 wins

8. dspahlinger Boston Red Sox 94 wins

9. fatboydad54 Boston Braves 83 wins

10. Drawdexer St. Louis Cardinals 78 wins

11. specsman Pittsburgh Pirates 57 wins

12. odalisgagne Philadelphia Phils 91 wins

13. lastinspace2 Chicago Cubs 64 wins

14. redwingscup Washington Senators 67 wins

15. midnight Philadelphia A's 52 wins

16. dlcunc31 St. Louis Browns 58 wins
4/2/2016 12:24 PM (edited)
Teams

NL East

New York Giants bench5
Brooklyn Dodgers razorclams
Philadelphia Phillies odalisgagne
Boston Braves fatboydad54

NL West

St. Louis Cardinals Drawdexer
Pittsburgh Pirates specsman
Chicago Cubs lastinspace2
Cincinnati Reds bublooo

AL East

New York Yankees hacker7
Boston Red Sox dsphalinger
Philadelphia A's midknight
Washington Senators redwingscup

AL West

Chicago White Sox redraider68
Detroit Tigers bheid408
St. Louis Browns dlcunc31
Cleveland Indians rickysdad44
4/2/2016 12:21 PM (edited)
rickysdad44 is up
bench5 on deck
hacker 7 in the hole.

please site mail the next three who are up in the draft
remember that the owners who get rewarded with the highest pick next season, will be the team that improves the most from their teams real life record from 1950.

I am trying to have WIS donate some funds for the owner with the most improvement wins over 5 seasons. I asked them to chip in $40 in credits. We will see (they chipped in $33.33!)
Good Luck
As soon as I get my pick, I will create the league and send you all the League #
3/31/2016 10:17 PM (edited)
We'll take the Cleveland Indians
3/31/2016 3:24 AM
New York Giants
3/31/2016 6:14 AM
This is probably not a very smart move - I doubt I can improved on this team's record - but I have been a diehard Yankee fan since about 1950. So here goes : New York Yankees.
3/31/2016 10:35 AM
bheid408 wants Detroit
3/31/2016 12:01 PM
Brooklyn Dodgers
3/31/2016 2:33 PM
Cinn Reds
3/31/2016 2:37 PM
Sorry I didn't site mail you. Busy at work. Will update tonight.
3/31/2016 2:55 PM
Chicago White Sox. Can't sitemail from work.
3/31/2016 2:56 PM
I'll take the Boston Red Sox.
3/31/2016 3:10 PM
Spahn and Sain and pray for rain'

I will take my chances with the Boston Braves
3/31/2016 6:02 PM
12345 Next ▸
1950 Historical Replay League draft Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.