Season 107 DII Blog Topic

That SEO vas ESUP yesterday was a classic. Great game you two.
4/18/2016 7:10 AM
Unfortunately, we have let ESUP score at the end of the game 2 years in row, once to beat us and the once to go into OT and then beat us.
4/18/2016 3:51 PM
Tomorrow's game is going to tell me a lot about where my team is. Hoping for a good fight and being able to sneak away with a victory. Good luck tilwar
4/18/2016 5:43 PM
Lyonzfan was able to take down badaxe's ESUP and though the score was 38-31 (you must be a fan of this final score, lyonz, two games in a row...), It wasn't quite as close as it appears. It was by no means an easy win for Indiana and badaxe did a great job to hang in but that last TD by ESUP was scored with zeroes on the clock so it didn't finish a thriller. There still aren't many teams at all who would end up putting up 31 against that defense so props by itself to that. The rest of the schedule looks very manageable for Indiana to go undefeated going into the CCG, where as badaxe will have a few more hefty challenges in front of him but this game proves that those same opponents will have themselves a hefty challenge when facing ESUP.

Spotlight Game Day 7
Colorado-Mines (-5.5) vs. NMHU
I think this game will be mostly decided by the stronger balance of Mines compared to the swings in talent on Highlands roster. An example would be on Highlands' O-Line where the best starter is a very solid player and the fifth starter would most likely not be starting on almost any team with the overall talent this roster has. And it's like that in a lot of areas on the team. Another big problem for Highlands is that their best group on defense is the secondary and Mines is a definitively run first team so that talent will be going a little bit more to waste. Highlands can definitely have a chance in this game though, with some decent skill position players. The question will be more of if they can take this game over enough to not let the rest of their team's lack of depth get in the way and become their downfall. I am siding with the latter happening and pick Mines in a close game until possibly opening it up in the fourth.
4/18/2016 10:44 PM
Game of the Day
GVSU vs Ferris State

GVSU has earned the #1 ranking with a challenging OC schedule. Now it takes on a Ferris team that has suffered one loss against the high scoring Quincy team. The rest of the schedule was not overly tough. It is quite likely they will meet again in the CCG. That will make this game a warm up. Who will learn the most. I really like Ferris's chances. The OC wins for GVSU were convincing but not dominating (except one). I am not going to be surprised if Ferris walks away with the win in a very close game. Look for the results to be switched come the CCG.
4/20/2016 1:01 AM
Hypothetically, if I only lose one more game and it's the CC game, do you guys think I will get into the playoffs?
4/20/2016 3:54 PM
GVSU took care of Ferris quite handily in the 2nd half. The previous day had Colorado-Mines also running away with their game in the 2nd half against Highlands. There are a couple of games to choose from for game of the day tomorrow and naturally, both of them come from the PSAC. One holds a bit more prestige over the other, however.

Mansfield (-3.5) vs. Millersville
Both these teams are similar in the fact that they put an emphasis on offense and the skills positions and overwhelming defenses with nonstop athleticism and talent. Mansfield will do it with outstanding RBs and Millersville with outstanding WRs and a great TE. The one main key difference between these two teams is that Mansfield has a solid advantage on the D-Line which should allow more consistent pressure and they also have the better secondary, which will possibly stunt some quality possessions for Millersville. Either way, these two teams are pretty tight against each other and mojo has a great shot to win. I just like fotman's squad a tad more. It's always a battle in the PSAC. Tomorrow's matchup should be no different.

I was planning on doing a team grades post but it might just prove to be a little too much work this season. Maybe in seasons to come.
4/20/2016 9:05 PM
Posted by mattyice08 on 4/20/2016 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Hypothetically, if I only lose one more game and it's the CC game, do you guys think I will get into the playoffs?
It should be close, mattyice. Your SOS is only going to get worse so I'm really not sure. Two loss teams are known to not make the playoffs with a combination of bad SOS and not good enough MOV (margin of victory). So plan on doing your best to demolish your remaining opponents.
4/20/2016 9:08 PM
Well, so much for a tight game between Mansfield and Millersville. It was close at half with Mansfield only up 10-3, even though they mostly dominated the game. Millersville was very lucky to have it only be 10-3. Lots of bend but don't break but nothing going offensively for mojo's crew. The second half went woefully bad for Millersville as they were shut out 34-0 in the half and that made a final score of 44-3. That is a pretty crazy route for two teams with such similar talent. Props to fotman and Mansfield.

Day 10 spotlight game
Long Island (-6) vs. Bryant
I could have gone with yet another PSAC matchup (pretty much every day has a game of the day) but decided to spread the attention a bit. And this should be a very solid, hard fought game. The winner of this will most likely be playing in the CCG and will most likely win that game. I like Long Island in this game because most areas they have an edge, either slightly or by a decent amount. The two places where Bryant has advantages are LB an O-Line. These generally aren't overwhelming advantages that will win games by themselves. Bryant will put their O-Line to good use as they do have solid skill position players, even if they're not superstar caliber. The bigger problem will be on defense where the secondary is quite, quite shallow and really could lose the game for Bryant. None of the defense is so strong that Long Island should be worried about being able to move the ball. If Bryant can find a way to pressure the QB, they stand a much better chance. Another key to the game will be trying to control the clock and simply have Bryant keep their defense off the field. That certainly is possible as Long Island's defense isn't super spectacular. They shine more on offense as well. In the end, I think depth on defense and a bump up on skill position players will give Long Island enough of an edge to put them back in position for another CCG appearance.
4/21/2016 6:44 PM
Also on Day 10: SW Minn. St tries to tie up the all time series with Bemidji State at 45-45. SWMS has had one human coach for one season since season 66 while Bemidji State has had 2 humans for a combined two seasons in its history.

SWMS is led by Senior RB Claude Yarbrough, the 174th best RB in DII, who has over a 1000 yards rushing for the second straight year and is hoping to add to his 7 career rushing TD's and 4 receiving TD's. Throwing him the ball is the only other senior on the roster, second year starter Michael Sutton. Sutton is improving on 6 TD 18 Int performance last year with a solid 8 TD's this year with only 3 Int's. As for the Bemidji State team, I have lost interest in this post so I don't know. I predict Bemidji State will win 21-17, just because then the all time series is tied and both teams will be 5-5.
4/21/2016 7:46 PM
"I have lost interest in this post so I don't know"

Lol. I can't tell you how many times this happens to me. Not just with posting, but life in general.
4/22/2016 1:17 AM
Two interesting games to follow at halftime. Consider these the games of the day.
Out of the Northeast 10, Long Island (9-0) vs Bryant (8-1)
Long Island is dominating this game but only lead 20-10. This game could easily be 27-3 or maybe even worse. It will be interesting if Bryant makes adjustments or performs better pulling out the game. If that occurs jjohn is going to bemoan what could have been.

The other interesting game is out of the Gulf South Conference. West Alabama (8-1) vs Arkansas Tech (1-8). This was suppose to be a layup for West Alabama but then again that loss to 1-8 Henderson State should have been a warning sign. Arkansas Tech trails by 3 and just might give nitros a devastating defeat.
4/22/2016 1:49 PM
In the game we all are following, Bemidji State won 27-24. I almost got the score correct! I will probably let the masters do the predictions in the future as it is a lot of work to prepare these. Don't fear, if there is another fascinating game between .500 sims I'll be sure to let everyone know.
4/22/2016 3:06 PM
West Alabama took no prisoners in the second half and rolled to the win. Currently ranked #76 with 3 games plus the CC doesn't leave much time to move into the top 32. I will let icki evaluate the chances but I would recommend winning every game including the CCG. Long Island also cruised to the win in the second half and I think the only worry they have is can they stay in the top 16 with the 3 scrub teams they have left.
4/22/2016 4:55 PM

The other interesting game is out of the Gulf South Conference. West Alabama (8-1) vs Arkansas Tech (1-8). This was suppose to be a layup for West Alabama but then again that loss to 1-8 Henderson State should have been a warning sign. Arkansas Tech trails by 3 and just might give nitros a devastating defeat.

Second year on the rebuild so West Alabama just does not have the talent to play consistent football. That being said, the loss to Henderson State was a headscratcher (no offense to the coach) and by all statistical measures should have been a blowout. I think this game convinced me of what I have been reading about run oriented offenses coming up snake-eyes in random games. In two seasons, I hope to transition to a pass oriented offense when my FR QB develops.

By the by, thanks for the blog. Love reading it.

4/22/2016 11:11 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
Season 107 DII Blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.