University Conference vs. Cal Tech Challenge Topic

Season 93 brings with it a new challenge. 10 of the University Conference schools will play Cal Tech in the non-conference. The university conference gets a solid non-conference game out of it (usually at least) and Cal Tech gets to not play 10 sims in the non-conference. And what a year to start it. Cal Tech returns 9 players from its 35 - 0 national championship team. And the University Conference? Well, they just boast 7 of the preseasons top 15 teams. I mean on offense with this post, just hoping to give my two cents and have some fun. Let's get to the games (I'll be doing this from the Cal Tech perspective).
1. @ Millsaps: This team is in the 6 freshmen 6 sophomore rotation of its super class. Just too inexperienced to compete with Cal Tech. Cal Tech will be a big favorite.
2. @ #10 Dallas: An experienced team with 2 very good rebounding and scoring senior centers could exploit Cal Tech's weakness on the glass. I'll call this game a toss-up.
3. vs. #9 Emory: 3 walk-ons as a pressing team and only two guards, none with 60+ in passing against Cal Tech's press will be too much to overcome. Cal Tech will be a moderate to big favorite.
4. vs. #8 Centre: A solid team, but again nobody has a passer rating above 50. They will struggle with Cal Tech's press. Cal Tech will be a moderate favorite.
5. @ #14 Stillman: 6 Srs and 6 Jrs, ability to score and most importantly the speed and passing to beat the press. Playing in Alabama, I'll call Stillman the slight favorite.
6. vs. Sewanee: A team in a little bit of a rebuild. Cal Tech will be a big favorite.
7. @ #15 Ozarks: Another team with lower passing but they can score inside and out. They don't have the rebounding to take advantage of that weakness of Cal Tech. Cal Tech the moderate favorite.
8. vs. Rhodes: Jeff has done a good job and they return 11 from last year's squad. I think Cal Tech may be too athletic. Cal Tech will be a big favorite.
9. @ #2 Southwestern: Fast guards, decent passing, athletic bigs with lower rebounding, built very similar to Cal Tech. I still give Cal Tech a slight edge.
10. @ #5 Trinity: A 6 sr team like Cal Tech. They have 5 guys with 80+ in perimeter, good speed and passing. I'll call this a toss-up.

So I believe this year the challenge will go to Cal Tech. Just too much speed, perimeter play, and experience for the University Conference to get 5+ wins. I'll say 8-2 Cal Tech.
4/9/2016 9:43 PM
We shall see, piman. I'm actually glad the university league is so much stronger this season. Will need to be to compete with your juggernaut at CIT. Your team should be a #1 seed this season and final 4 contender. A lot of good teams in Phelan this season. Will be interesting.
4/10/2016 3:36 PM
Congratulations piman, closest anyone came to you was 23 points, complete domination. It's easy to see why you were rated #1 from the start.
4/15/2016 5:31 PM
Season 93 results (rankings reflect ranking at time of game):
#1 Cal Tech 96 @ Millsaps 55
#1 Cal Tech 75 @ #9 Dallas 52
Emory 51 @ #1 Cal Tech 92
Centre 49 @ #1 Cal Tech 86
#1 Cal Tech 101 @ #6 Stillman 75
Sewanee 52 @ #1 Cal Tech 79
#1 Cal Tech 86 @ #10 Ozarks 62
Rhodes 50 @ #1 Cal Tech 91
#1 Cal Tech 91 @ #3 Southwestern 64
#1 Cal Tech 97 @ #2 Trinity 64

Cal Tech wins year one of the challenge 10 - 0
4/19/2016 9:26 PM
Piman your team is stackedd!!! I would say your def the favorite to win it all this year
4/21/2016 9:05 PM

Season 94 pits a rebuilding Cal Tech team vs a fairly young University Conference. Cal Tech is the back to back national champs, going 35-0 each year and beating 9 top ten teams by an average of just under 24 ppg. No team got closer than 13 points last year. But 6 seniors are gone as well as a lot of speed, perimeter, and passing that was not adequately replaced. They come into the season ranked a ridiculously high #12. Because of promises I will be starting 5 new players. The University has 5 top 25 teams, including #4 Emory. Let's get to the games.

1. vs. #23 Dallas: Dallas has a very young front court (4 freshmen) but this game is won with guards, and they have the guards to beat Cal Tech. Dallas a slight favorite.

2. @ #4 Emory: Emory has 2 guards with speeds above 60 and nobody with passing above a 60. It is hard to win pressing and getting pressed that way. Cal Tech a moderate favorite

3. vs. Millsaps: Now a sim team,it still has 12 human recruits, 6 sophs and 6 juniors. They have 2 very athletic frontcourt players who can cause problems, but again only one player with passing above a 50. Cal Tech’s press should get them a win. They are a moderate favorite.

4. @ #13 Centre: Very similar to Emory in that they only have 2 guards with speed over 60 and nobody with passing over 60. Cal Tech is the slight favorite

5. vs. Stillman: 6 srs and 6 freshmen but they have the guards to give Cal Tech trouble. The defense is a little low. I’ll call Cal Tech the slightest of favorites.

6. @ Sewanee: Cal Tech’s athleticism in the front court will be hard for Sewanee to match, and again the passing is low to deal with the press. Cal Tech a moderate favorite.

7. vs. #15 Ozarks: Good speed at the guard spot and average passing. But Cal Tech will have a big advantage in the frontcourt. Cal Tech a slight favorite

8. @ Rhodes: A sim team with 6 freshmen. Cal Tech a big favorite.

9. vs. Southwestern: 6 freshmen plus two walk-ons, they won’t have the depth to handle the press. Cal Tech a big favorite.

10. vs. Trinity: 7 new players, but they have some very good scorers. Still I think it is not enough depth to handle the press. Cal Tech a slight favorite.

So I’ve got Cal Tech winning 9 - 1, though I think we are too young to actually pull that off. Should be a lot of close games. I think I’m lucky with some of the home games I have. Good Luck to all.
5/12/2016 9:13 PM
University Conference vs. Cal Tech Challenge Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.