General question to satisfy my curiosity Topic

What do you consider a "fast" speed rating in the SIM?
4/21/2016 5:55 PM
good question...i say 80.
4/21/2016 6:03 PM
Very generally, I usually think of 80-85 as fast with 90+ being very fast. Depends on the theme though. Themes that are likely to feature a lot of high K pitchers and/or great range fielders increase the value of having speed due to their being less balls in play that are likely to result in hits for the Everyman. That causes 80-85 to seem a little less fast, in terms of the decision making process when building a team, in my opinion.
4/21/2016 6:31 PM
Also, you take what you can get at C. 1886 King Kelly has a speed of 70 but compared to his peers at the position, I'd say he qualifies as fast.
4/21/2016 6:32 PM
Thanks for your elaboration ozo. I understand what you're getting at in your examples. Rather than looking at the relative speed per position or how speed might play out in the simulation, I'm simply looking at what "number" you feel is fast in the SIM. I've always felt that 75 was "slow-fast" (if that makes sense) and then progresses upwards to the point where 90 is "real fast" and 95 is "blur fast". I'd like to have an idea of other's thoughts.
4/21/2016 7:15 PM
If I want base stealers I go for mid-to high 90s.

I consider 80 fast and if I have a lot of 80s types on a team and hitters that don't strike out often I will set advancing on the bases at "very aggressive" and the same with hit and run.

If a player is at 70 I will set them for no pinch-runner replacing them.
4/22/2016 2:55 AM
70 is my cut-off point, too. If most of my offense is over 70, I'll set base-running aggressiveness to 4, and nobody over 70 is set to be pinch-run for.

If I'm building a "speed" team (not necessarily SB but fast runners), I like to have guys over 80.
4/22/2016 11:28 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/22/2016 2:55:00 AM (view original):

I consider 80 fast and if I have a lot of 80s types on a team and hitters that don't strike out often I will set advancing on the bases at "very aggressive" and the same with hit and run.

That's what I do to, generally. Will drop the number to 65 or so if the team's general speed isn't that great.
4/22/2016 12:12 PM

This is a mistake. I thought it was general knowledge amongst regular forum users that base stealing has nothing to do with speed. It used to be. It really doesn't seem to come up much any more...
4/22/2016 12:24 PM
Speed score does not affect SB success in the SIM. As far as we know, it's just C CS% against the runner's SB/SBA%. There may be some normalization in there, but I don't remember hearing that come up.

Speed score is used in determining whether or not a runner tries to take an extra base and whether or not they are successful in that try. It would also affect whether a runner is out or safe in double play situations, I think.

This at least is what I remember from prior discussions and responses from Admin.
4/22/2016 12:47 PM
You are both right of course, but the question was about speed, not about SB, so I was just giving a kind of typology of what sort of roles for which kinds of speedsters things typically ended up at in my rosters, not that I used speed rating per se to pick base stealers to draft as such. Thanks for the clarification, which is important for any here who did not know that there is no correlation. As the debate over range factor a few weeks ago also showed, there is no relation of speed rating to range either.
4/22/2016 2:06 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
In general you ignore the speed rating. However, in this case, it barely matters. Unless you're in a LIVE league, the frequency of base stealing attempts is based on the RL SBA/opportunities. If you set Hargrave to 0, he will attempt 0 steals. If you set him to 5, he might attempt 5. Odds are if he goes 5 times he'll make it 3 or 4, so it will be slightly better or slightly worse, on average, than if he never attempted a steal. Same goes for basically any other steal setting.

A better example might be Paul Molitor. '93 to '95 Paul Molitor stole enough bases to matter at least a little bit, and in each season he had a very high success rate. His speed ratings for these seasons are all in the 50s. Ignore them. '94 Molitor was 20/20 in stolen base attempts. I'd probably have his stolen base setting at 5 regardless of the opposing team and catcher.
4/29/2016 10:18 PM
speed is your advantage and enhanced ability for coming around to score IF you get on base...stolen base chances are completely independent of speed...seperate independent categories...agree with dahsdebater comment above.
4/29/2016 10:42 PM
12 Next ▸
General question to satisfy my curiosity Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.