Draft Rule for Last Owner Picking Each Day? Topic

Why don't we talk about having a draft rule for all of the drafts moving forward as follows:

1) The last owner scheduled to pick that day has a one hour window to make their pick or they can be skipped. 2) If 98average has a 9:00 pm time slot then he has until 10:00 pm to make his pick before getting skipped. 3) The first person picking the next day can pick after 10:00 pm if 98 got skipped. 4) That morning person in the clone draft has a 10:00 am time slot. That person cannot be skipped until after 11:00 am. 5) It's really not fair that the last person picking each day gets a 12 to 13 hour window to make their pick and everybody else has either a 1 hour or a 1 and a half an hour window to make their picks depending on the draft they are in.

Does this make any sense at all. Or am I over thinking it? Please make comments and thanks for the feedback.
4/24/2016 11:56 PM
I understand the point.
4/24/2016 11:59 PM
Even if you let the 10AM guy pick after the last guy's hour runs out, the 2nd or 3rd morning guy isnt going to be there to make a pick until they wake up in the morning anyway, so you arent gaining anything.
4/25/2016 12:14 AM
Hey Vance- first and foremost: GO BLAZERS!

Okay, now re: your topic- Won't work. You're essentially suggesting a 24 hour draft clock because that's the only way to eliminate somebody having extra time to make a pick. Can you imagine how many skipped picks there would be and how many people would bail on leagues after getting skipped? It'd be damn near impossible to fill a draft league in that scenario.

There is a draft clock for a reason. It's orderly, it's simple, and it works. Don't fix it if ain't broke.
4/25/2016 12:24 AM
98 holds up every draft I've ever been in with him anyways; this is nothing new.
4/25/2016 1:06 AM
"4) That morning person in the clone draft has a 10:00 am time slot. That person cannot be skipped until after 11:00 am"

thats not a 24 hour clock.

and the "not gaining anything" argument is also incorrect. More than half of the owners are extremely considerate and will send proxies at night. A lot of people also have jobs that don't always allow for constant checking during the day and are more active on the site at night.

I think it's a great conversation to have. I think it makes sense.

4/25/2016 1:22 AM
That's correct as jhsukow has pointed out . . . and GO BLAZERS ! ! !

Nobody skips the morning guys and if people do proxy as they should it would most likely save a lot of time. Having 98 at the emd of the draft day is terrible lol!
4/25/2016 1:43 AM
Here it what I do in my decade draft leagues:

Once the final scheduled pick in a day;s draft is taken (9:30 in mine), the draft CAN continue into the following day in OFF THE CLOCK mode. IE, no owner can be skipped unless the previous owner has picked. This continues EVEN IF THERE ARE SKIPPED PICKS on the board from the previous day. This allows "night owl" owners a chance to pick late at night instead of early in the morning if it is easier for them and their schedules.

Usually the off the clock picks peter out after 4 or 5 anyways, but it does allow us to get ahead of the "clock" for a few hours. I would not have a problem if the final picker of a day gets "skipped" by the first picker the next morning if he hasn't picked in an hour, and then the draft continues in OFF THE CLOCK mode. I really wouldn't see a problem with that. Of course though, wouldn't the first picker the next day be the final picker the previous day in a snake draft? That puts a crimp in the skip idea.
4/25/2016 2:03 AM
Posted by vancem on 4/24/2016 11:56:00 PM (view original):
Why don't we talk about having a draft rule for all of the drafts moving forward as follows:

1) The last owner scheduled to pick that day has a one hour window to make their pick or they can be skipped. 2) If 98average has a 9:00 pm time slot then he has until 10:00 pm to make his pick before getting skipped. 3) The first person picking the next day can pick after 10:00 pm if 98 got skipped. 4) That morning person in the clone draft has a 10:00 am time slot. That person cannot be skipped until after 11:00 am. 5) It's really not fair that the last person picking each day gets a 12 to 13 hour window to make their pick and everybody else has either a 1 hour or a 1 and a half an hour window to make their picks depending on the draft they are in.

Does this make any sense at all. Or am I over thinking it? Please make comments and thanks for the feedback.
I've been saying this for years now. It's really annoying.
4/25/2016 4:32 PM
Posted by omegax on 4/25/2016 1:06:00 AM (view original):
98 holds up every draft I've ever been in with him anyways; this is nothing new.
One wonders why he's even allowed back given this and all of the other baggage.
4/25/2016 4:33 PM
I think it's more of a 98average problem than anything else. I was in a draft with him where he picked 2nd... So at the end of the 2nd round, he made his selection, the owner drafting at the turn picked 4 minutes later... 98 didn't make his next selection until morning. That just 1 example. I've only been in a few drafts w him- some of u have been in dozens w him, so I don't need to tell u that he's just a jerkoff anyway
4/26/2016 8:44 AM (edited)
I don't think we can skip the final draft pick of the day, bc usually the next day starts with the same owner. If his picks are scheduled at 9pm & 9am, then he can't be skipped until the morning. I don't see how that would be fair. Maybe stagger the clock so the turn is never at the end of the day... but sly and grayfoxx have a point... at some point an owner will theoretically have several hours (versus 1) to make their selection. So, assuming they aren't the same owner, if we skip the 9pm guy & the 9am guy picks at 11pm, the 10am guy now has the several hour advantage- which the rule is designed to eliminate- meaning it won't work as planned.
4/26/2016 8:51 AM
Posted by ashamael on 4/25/2016 4:33:00 PM (view original):

Dont agree with this at all. Not everyone is on all hours of the night. Rules should not be changed for a few bad actors. Manage them and process is fine, all you are doing is hurting everyone else

4/26/2016 3:57 PM
Posted by eleibowitz on 4/26/2016 3:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by ashamael on 4/25/2016 4:33:00 PM (view original):

Dont agree with this at all. Not everyone is on all hours of the night. Rules should not be changed for a few bad actors. Manage them and process is fine, all you are doing is hurting everyone else

That's just the thing: not everyone is on the same schedule. 9pm EST might be a struggle for someone to make, yes, but then again, so is 9am EST. Scud's in China, I work nights, etc. We've made it work for years, but it is EXTREMELY annoying when you're slotted at a time that's the complete opposite of your schedule & there's only one or two guys to pick before you but they disappear for the entirety of your waking hours. The problem is compounded when that happens close to the turn, but it happens in that 12/13 area a lot, too.
4/26/2016 4:58 PM
Posted by milest on 4/26/2016 8:51:00 AM (view original):
I don't think we can skip the final draft pick of the day, bc usually the next day starts with the same owner. If his picks are scheduled at 9pm & 9am, then he can't be skipped until the morning. I don't see how that would be fair. Maybe stagger the clock so the turn is never at the end of the day... but sly and grayfoxx have a point... at some point an owner will theoretically have several hours (versus 1) to make their selection. So, assuming they aren't the same owner, if we skip the 9pm guy & the 9am guy picks at 11pm, the 10am guy now has the several hour advantage- which the rule is designed to eliminate- meaning it won't work as planned.
It's actually 50/50. Every other day starts with the same owner.

day 1
1-12

day2
13-24

day 3
24-13

day 4
12-1

day 5
1-12

(and so on)

And besides, if the 9pm guy misses his slot & he's the 9am guy, then he still can't be skipped till 10am. So this wouldn't help on turn days at all, but it would definitely make a difference on the other days.

Leave it the way it is or change it...
4/26/2016 5:02 PM
12 Next ▸
Draft Rule for Last Owner Picking Each Day? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.