Is this guy worth it? Topic

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6876430

Newbie here, guy wants 14mil over 4 years....seems like a lot.
4/27/2016 2:46 PM
Nope. He is not.
4/27/2016 3:04 PM
Thanks, didn't think so.
4/27/2016 3:22 PM
What Mike said. That VsR is a disaster and the lack of control just adds to it.
4/27/2016 5:38 PM
Posted by hockey1984 on 4/27/2016 5:38:00 PM (view original):
What Mike said. That VsR is a disaster and the lack of control just adds to it.
VsR?
4/27/2016 6:27 PM
vs RHB (heading shows up as just R). Split vs. RH batters. An important rating.
4/28/2016 1:50 AM
You can get away with a left handed pitcher being bad against right handed batters if they are very good in all other categories. With this guys control the way it is, he will walk too many, a big right handed hitter will come up to bat and the ball game will be over more times then you would like.
4/28/2016 6:32 AM
The key pitching ratings are VsR, CON, VsL (< VsR),and P1. 70 is a marginal major league pitching rating; 75 is average or slightly better. If a pitcher has one or more key ratings below 70 he will have to have one or more of the other key ratings be above 75 to balance that weakness or he will not be a major league pitcher.

This is a guy who will get hit around in AAA,much less the bigs; 3 of his key ratings are way below 70.

Finally, while I almost never throw out a player based on a single rating, I have never seen a pitcher with VsR < 50 who was better than a marginal major league pitcher.
4/28/2016 3:27 PM
I've had a few guys that are right on the cusp of 50 for VsR (49,48) that were off an on effective. That being said, they all had control in the high 80's with their first two pitches bordering on 90's. Even still, those guys were (as Mike would call them) 1 arb guys. Also helps that my main squad plays in San Diego, so I can get away with a lot worse pitching.

This is only because I have 2 SP on the DL but this guy has been able to hold his own in the majors.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6819835

Its a catch 22 because you can have a hitter who has VsR <50 if their other stats are good, contact, eye, or if they have a high VsL. I had a defensive catcher who had a VsR of 0 and still hit close to .300 for a couple of years because I only had him start against left handed pitching.

For pitchers its harder, even if you have them come in to face a left handed batter, chances are there will be a few righties before they get taken out of the game which will cost them. The opposite itsn't always true.
4/29/2016 8:59 AM
I agree that he's a big-league pitcher, but he's fairly marginal; I would probably 1-arb him because of his good ST/DUR but I might even just cut him at the first arb. His ERA in an average world, with average defense, in SD (NL), should run in the high 3s. This is not a good ERA in San Diego, in the non-DH league. And he needs 94 CON and 99 GB/FB to get there.
4/29/2016 10:01 AM
Is this guy worth it? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.