So let's talk about the pro set/3-4 combo Topic

Is it just me, or does it seem that the pro set pass/3-4 combo is without question the most effective offense/defense in GD. It seems as though, all things equal, 100% passing out of the pro set is very nearly unstoppable and the 3-4 can stop virtually anything (except the pro set pass).

Really not sour grapes at all (full disclosure - all of my last few losses have come at the hands of this beast). I'm genuinely curious if what I am observing is a common observation or if I am game planning against it incorrectly.

I'm not talking about GUESS #6 beating GUESS #27 running these offenses. I'm talking top 5 GUESS teams playing each other. I feel like the pro set pass/3-4 combo has just a little extra edge. I've tried a lot of different things....including joining the 3-4 movement (still learning it). I'm pondering switching to pro set also because, hey - if you can't beat 'em - join em!

Thoughts?
5/1/2016 11:00 PM
I really thought the NDB would be the offense to attack the 3-4 with because sending out 2 RBs and 2 TEs would keep all 4 LBs "busy" so the 3-4 would have less of an advantage at that level. It boggles me that the pro set is more effective against the 3-4 than the NDB. I can't figure out why, but I think it's true.

I've also tried running trips and shotgun solely against the 3-4, thinking there is no way all 3/4 WRs can be shut down by the 2 DBs and 2 safeties. No luck. Maybe I don't understand the engine like I thought I did, but I generally feel like I get the whole "zones" and "matchups" concepts. That's why the 3-4 thing boggles me so much. It appears to defy it. There is no reason why a 3-4 defense should shut down a shotgun passing offense, all things being equal, but it does.
5/1/2016 11:05 PM
funny to me cause when i started playing again i chose the 3-4 mostly cause it was the worst defense that nobody used, little did i know it was now the best. i must be doing it wrong cause i haven't stopped much!

looks like the iaa and ia champ in your world use pro/trips/box and 4-3/4-4/nickel... suggesting maybe formation isn't the determining factor you think it is?
5/2/2016 12:23 AM
Posted by ebel331 on 5/2/2016 12:23:00 AM (view original):
funny to me cause when i started playing again i chose the 3-4 mostly cause it was the worst defense that nobody used, little did i know it was now the best. i must be doing it wrong cause i haven't stopped much!

looks like the iaa and ia champ in your world use pro/trips/box and 4-3/4-4/nickel... suggesting maybe formation isn't the determining factor you think it is?
Possibly so.....just my own observation.
5/2/2016 12:39 AM
Yea the proset throw to the RBs 50+ times a game is getting real old.
5/2/2016 2:30 PM
I have run recently all Pro set , with heavy passing offenses .3-4 Defense is only D that has been effective against us. I hate seeing those. Nothing else stopped us.
5/2/2016 10:41 PM
So let's talk about the pro set/3-4 combo Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.