Nothing stops people from tanking. -- MikeT23 Topic

Posted by damag on 5/12/2016 5:51:00 PM (view original):
Reviving this thread a bit because I hope I might find sympathetic ears here.

I'm pretty tired of the ******* whining about "new fuzzy ratings" after every draft and every IFA signs. "I'm gonna drop my teams." "I think we should have more certainty than this." It's a ******* GAME. If you wanted a ******* investment, buy Google. They did it to take some of the teeth and the complete predictability out of tanking, for Christ sake. But now everyone who doesn't invest the full 20 mil AND understand that projections have NEVER been certain gets all butthurt because their projected 87 is "only" a 78.

Whining. ******* bunch of Sam Bradfords.

It's kind of like this: For 4-5 years, all you heard was "There are no updates", "Why are all first rounders guarantees?", "Something needs to be done to curtail tanking", etc, etc.

So changes were made, 1st rounders aren't guarantees and, by virtue of a lack of 1st round guarantees, tanking should be a less desirable option.

But people hate it.
5/12/2016 7:24 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2016 5:33:00 PM (view original):
sjp doesn't have much room to talk, he did exactly what I said he'd do when he announce a "fire sale", but this is ugly:
Piazza SAL Slayers 28 $42.4M 50-112 (.309) 4 -
Piazza SAL Slayers 29 $16.9M 53-109 (.327) 4 -
Piazza SAL Slayers 30 $21.7M 65-97 (.401) 4 -
Piazza SAL Slayers 31 $23.8M 68-94 (.420) 4 -
I'm in this league, everybody had a big fight over it during the previous season 35 (including sjpoker).

It is the individual owner's prerogative to spend (waste) $100 in real dollars to do this. That's fine with me. In this instance that specific owner had actually won league titles in the past so he cashed in the WIS credits for free seasons, that's also fine.

The problem was that in S28-S31 nobody said anything, nobody called him out until S33-34 when he started winning again. By then it was too late. He tanked under the radar and anybody new to the league (like me at the time, or sjpoker, etc) would have just thought that he was an idiot with bad teams, but upon review that is clearly not the case.

Losing on purpose for 4 seasons to have a super-team has its consequences for everybody else. Super-teams and super-tanks are terrible for the game. The only way to compete is for every non-playoff team to tank equally hard in response. Good owners, veteran ones. Franchise Profile: Hombres Azul (WhatIfSports.com - User Profile: sneekes , referred by Silentpadna) $25M payroll and under with prospect $45+ four straight seasons. Franchise Profile: Cornbread on the Brain (WhatIfSports.com - User Profile: gorshar just began his own) As soon as one team tanks they all get in line to tank one after another. Super-tank super-teams just lead to more STSTs, there's no end to the cycle.

That particular league has to recruit 10+ spots every season just to stay alive, and the only way to do so is to go public. By going public, this league becomes an entry point for new owners. Observing this behavior turns people off and makes them leave the game. New owners quit after 1 season instead of sticking around to fill other worlds. There is your problem. It is a mistake to go public and I've argued against it every season but nobody listens. I'd rather see that league fold and beachboy lose his $100 in credits than have the site fold because bad users are destroying it from the inside-out.

Literally the only way to fix this specific problem is for the devs to write source code that triggers the best 1-2 SPs to need tommy john surgery and have the star fielders get broken ankles as soon as a certain win % threshold or aggregate OVR is achieved 100 games into the season or whatever. They broke the draft but not enough. They're trying to break IFA and it's still not enough. The only way to make the problem go away is to break the players themselves. Give them the prize and then take it away, problem solved. Thanks for your money.

But as previously mentioned this Salem team still hasn't won a WS so for now it's all for naught
5/13/2016 5:20 PM (edited)
In the beginning of HBD, injuries were the reason a lot of people talked of giving up HBD. WifS scaled them back. A lot. But, again, I agree with the sentiment. A bad experience in your first world is going to lead to departures of potential good owners. It's one of the reasons I didn't like the "recommended world" on the join screen. If it's a terrible public world with the fewest openings, it seems as if the site is saying "This is where you want to be."
5/13/2016 6:26 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8
Nothing stops people from tanking. -- MikeT23 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.