Ditching Type A/Type B Topic

The entire point of the free agent compensation system in MLB is to give low revenue teams some sort of payback when they can't afford to keep players. Everyone in HBD has the same revenue. The compensation system is unnecessary and should be eliminated.
5/5/2016 11:36 AM
That's not the entire point in MLB. A huge factor is artificially limiting demand for all but the top few FA and thus limiting spending, without owners dirtying their hands through collusion. Compensation takes $100M+ out of players' hands every season.
5/5/2016 11:56 AM
Most topics of this nature (blah blah blah is stupid and should be changed/eliminated) are born out of the frustration of somebody perceiving that they've been screwed by the stupid thing they want changed/eliminated.

Most Type A FA departures are due to (a) a FA refusing to resign with his previous team, or (b) a FA making his demands higher than his old team can afford. Since total budgets can't exceed $185m, and there are limits on how much certain categories (scouting and medical/training) can change from season to season, there is an inherent payroll salary cap that must be managed (and by the nature of the game, it's different for every team). If a departing FA refuses to resign, or his contract demands exceeds the cap space that the team has, why shouldn't they be awarded compensation? Doesn't that, in fact, mimic real life?

Plus, compensation and making a strategic decision to pursue (or not pursue) Type A FA's is part of the strategy of the game.
5/5/2016 2:17 PM
Posted by joshkvt on 5/5/2016 11:56:00 AM (view original):
That's not the entire point in MLB. A huge factor is artificially limiting demand for all but the top few FA and thus limiting spending, without owners dirtying their hands through collusion. Compensation takes $100M+ out of players' hands every season.
Sure, but that's not the public answer MLB gives. And, even if it were, those same concerns aren't present in HBD.
5/5/2016 2:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 5/5/2016 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Most topics of this nature (blah blah blah is stupid and should be changed/eliminated) are born out of the frustration of somebody perceiving that they've been screwed by the stupid thing they want changed/eliminated.

Most Type A FA departures are due to (a) a FA refusing to resign with his previous team, or (b) a FA making his demands higher than his old team can afford. Since total budgets can't exceed $185m, and there are limits on how much certain categories (scouting and medical/training) can change from season to season, there is an inherent payroll salary cap that must be managed (and by the nature of the game, it's different for every team). If a departing FA refuses to resign, or his contract demands exceeds the cap space that the team has, why shouldn't they be awarded compensation? Doesn't that, in fact, mimic real life?

Plus, compensation and making a strategic decision to pursue (or not pursue) Type A FA's is part of the strategy of the game.
Haven't been screwed, actually benefited from it in the off season that just ended (let Roberto Gonzalez go after a 255/336/367 year).

Since everyone gets the same total budget, it doesn't seem smart to reward teams with draft picks when they don't plan well enough to be able to resign someone that they want to resign.
5/5/2016 2:42 PM
Like I said, it's not always about planning.

I could plan to resign my 95 OVR stud second baseman when my world rolls over. But if he refuses to sign ("I'm going to free agency, no matter what") and you get outbid on a max contract in FA, then there's not a damn thing you can do about it. Not sure why compensation is a bad thing there.
5/5/2016 2:56 PM
Compensation only hurts the fake player. Some guys aren't worthy of giving up a pick. So they sit unsigned. What about their children?
5/5/2016 2:57 PM
Is there any way to tell if your player will be Type A or B before the season ends?
5/5/2016 4:44 PM
Nope. Just a best guess.
5/5/2016 4:53 PM
What tec said about not being able to resign some FA is definitely true. I lost a premier pitcher in MG who would not resign with me the last year of his contract and during the off season.. In FA I offered max contract and still lost him. Why shouldn't I at least get something in return for doing my best to keep this pitcher. By the way it wasn't that good. I got a 47 and 62 picks. I would much rather have my pitcher back
5/5/2016 8:35 PM
In HBD, comp picks help the rich stay rich.

If you know how to play, when you're done with that 95 OVR stud or he's done with you, you'll frequently get to trade him in for a good ML player. Not every time, but most of the time.

And then you can do the same with that good ML player at the end of their time.

IMO, HBD would be a more competitive game if comp picks were removed. As long as they are in MLB, they'll probably stay. And since most people who post here benefit (overall) from comp picks, there would be a forum riot if comp picks went away. I get WIS not wanting to deal with that.
5/8/2016 6:21 PM
Why do you assume that anyone who posts a differing opinion here benefits?

That's really retarded.
5/8/2016 6:27 PM
Merely because they exist, Comp picks are an important strategic element to franchise building. My teams are high scout/ low player payroll. I deliberately let most free agents leave. I target type-B free agents to one-year contracts during free agency period. Some owners give the 74 OVR pitchers 3 year contracts for $5M x3, I wait 10 cycles and give $2M x1 to whatever is left over. I let that one leave and get a new one next season and I'll get the same production out of a different name. Cycle, rinse, repeat

These extra picks are bolstered by draft scouting (using money saved by not over-paying replacement-level guys), which therefore make the ML more often as cheap ML labor, which gives me more money to invest heavily in type A+ and type A++ guys, the max contract guys. It also provides trade ammunition so that I can trade rebuilding owners three guys who will have 5+ minimum salary ML seasons for their 1 best ML guy who will give me 2-5 high-priced ML seasons. Comp picks are the most valuable currency in the game, let those free agents leave. Take em
5/13/2016 5:37 PM
Taking away comp picks would further degrade the FA pool. There are lots of times I let a 36 year old pitcher or 32 year old hitter walk exactly because they are still a Type A or B comp and I know I can sign a Type B guy in FA for similar production. If those comp picks go away it would behoove me to resign guys (those willing) until they are useless and either keep them, or look to trade them before they get too old.

So getting rid of Comp picks would make Free Agency more barren, but may bolster the trade market. If you are going to take away Comp picks it would be VITAL to re-design the system so that players wouldn't allow for nearly automatic 10+ seasons of control. Some guys would have to be unwilling to sign long term deals past their arb controlled years. Then there would be a decent number of 28 to 30 year old Free Agents each season.

One last thought is that without Comp picks all of a sudden my scouting for my good teams would be much less important. I already have those teams at 0 Coll - 0 INTL - 20 HS. If all I can ever expect to get is pick 25 and 50 I may just drop HS down to $0 as well and rely exclusively on Free Agents and Trades to stay relevant.
5/17/2016 3:25 PM
The fact that we can control players for almost 11 seasons is a different issue. That should be fixed with or without changes to comp picks.
5/17/2016 4:52 PM
Ditching Type A/Type B Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.