Season 108 DII Blog Topic

Hell of a game by tilwar in what was a game way lower scoring then I thought it was going to be. Caught the bad end of a 30 and 35 yard field goal. Great defensive effort by both teams and hopefully we face off in the CC game later in the year
5/24/2016 4:54 PM
Notable games for tomorrow: Big match up between #8 Bryant at #9 Stonehill (+4.5), could go either way, as both teams are so close in talent level. #22 Indianapolis at #18 Findlay(-4.5), Common denominator is they have both played Stonehill (both losses). Findlay lost less than Indy, so I'm going with Findlay. #3 UMC at #14 Northern State. I don't think Northern State has the horses to keep up, UMC in a run away. And finally, #21 California (PA) at #26 Kutztown(-.5), pretty even match up here again, GUESS has these two teams at 23 and 22 respectively, should be a pick-em game, but I'm going with Kutztown and the experience of 100+ seasons in jdtilt.
5/24/2016 8:35 PM
Virginia State is on an absolute tear lately. That might end up being a lot closer of a game in the CCG against NCCU than I first thought. Nice breakdowns of tomorrow's games, bribigdog. Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, there could be an awfully lot of really good teams ranked in the #16-#32 range going into the playoffs. There's also plenty of newer faces in the top 16 currently. Should be interesting.
5/24/2016 11:01 PM
Posted by mattyice08 on 5/24/2016 4:54:00 PM (view original):
Hell of a game by tilwar in what was a game way lower scoring then I thought it was going to be. Caught the bad end of a 30 and 35 yard field goal. Great defensive effort by both teams and hopefully we face off in the CC game later in the year
I couldn't believe when I saw that final score, mattyice. Definitely don't see that too frequently in this game.
5/24/2016 11:01 PM
I doubt there is a more competitive D2 than Warner !
5/25/2016 7:38 PM
Posted by mojolad on 5/25/2016 7:38:00 PM (view original):
I second that statement
5/25/2016 8:50 PM
Today's games didn't disappoint. Bryant overcame a poor start and came from behind in the 4th quarter to just get past Stonehill . Indianapolis scored 2 touchdowns in the 4th quarter to also come from behind to win against Findlay. California(PA) and Kutztown scored all their points in the 1st half, with California leading and hanging on for the win. And finally, in a surprising halftime score UMC 10, Northern St 7, UMC put it in cruise control and rolled to a 31-7 victory.

Tomorrow Notables:
10 St. Joes at 14 Quincy (+.5) Lot of points going to be scored in this one! Both offenses putting up 100+ games on the season and St Joes only blemish is a 45-49 barnburner with Miles. I think Quincy has the better D in this one and comes out on top.

23 Millersville at 15 Mansfield (+4.5) Both great teams in the mighty PSAC. Mojolad's Millersville can air it out, but fotman's Mansfield team has good ground game in addition to a solid air attack. I'm going with Mansfield on this one.
5/25/2016 11:10 PM
Posted by ickiwonkin on 5/24/2016 11:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mattyice08 on 5/24/2016 4:54:00 PM (view original):
I couldn't believe when I saw that final score, mattyice. Definitely don't see that too frequently in this game.
Yeah, heck of a game. From now on we will take pride in being a defensive team.
5/26/2016 3:29 AM
My DB's are sooooo young. I think in 2 or 3 years I will be able to consistently challenge for the conf title and maybe a tournament win. Thats the goal anyways
5/26/2016 4:48 PM
And I doubt there is a more competitive conference in DII Warner than the damned PSAC.
5/28/2016 7:22 PM
Tiltwar and myself have both made it to the CC game. Don't know how it possibly lives up to the 6-3 meeting we had earlier this year, but hopefully it will still be exciting
5/29/2016 3:34 PM
Posted by badaxe on 5/28/2016 7:22:00 PM (view original):
And I doubt there is a more competitive conference in DII Warner than the damned PSAC.
"C'est La Guerre" ! (This is War !)
5/29/2016 9:22 PM (edited)
Sorry I've been MIA again the last several days. I've had a ton of crazy happenings lately. Just started my internship, my parents are in town trying to move stuff from storage in my house, my sister is trying to convince my wife and I to let her move in with us which is just absolutely never happening but all of these things have made life a little crazy. I'll try to get some CCG previews sometime tonight but have no idea how easy that'll be. Come playoff time, it might start to get a bit easier to get some playoff previews in, we'll see. I will say that this does look like it has the makings of a pretty stellar playoffs with a heck of a lot of great teams that are going to be very tough to deal with in the second round for many of the top teams. Should be a good ride.
5/30/2016 6:03 PM
There will only be one non-human coach among the 24 coaches all fighting for an automatic bid to the playoffs. That team (Truman State) doesn't really stand a chance but I guess you never know. Either way, it looks very promising that all 32 teams making the playoffs will be represented by the human race heading into the big show. There will be some very interesting matchups here in the CCGs so let's get on with it.

CIAA
NCCU vs. Virginia State
Here's one of these very interesting matchups right off the bat. I figured Virginia State was still a year behind in being able to make things interesting in the CIAA when it comes to vying for the conference title but holy crap have they done an amazing job this year. Probably the most impressive of any team in DII. Not only did they take down ESUP, SEO and Millersville in OOC, they had increasingly dominating performances in each of those. I still think that NCCU will walk away a winner in this one, but it might be very close and it will be very difficult for NCCU to stop the passing attack of VSU. I wouldn't even be shocked if Virginia State found a way to win. I think it's unlikely but by no means impossible.

GLIAC
GVSU vs. Ferris State
I thought GVSU was the far better team going into these two teams' last meeting and it took them double OT to find a 19-16 victory. For some reason, Ferris State has given them some problems at times over the last several years. But even if this one is close or not, I think GVSU will be the team coming away with the conference title. Another one that is unlikely but certainly not impossible for Ferris State. They'll need to keep the score low just like last game and hope to walk away with the lucky bounces to come out on top.

NCC
Humboldt State vs. SDSU
This one has turned into a very good rivalry with each team having their turn with the CC. Probably a solid coin flip game that will come down to who takes better care of the ball. Your guess is as good as mine but I'll take Humboldt State in a squeaker.

NE-10
Stonehill vs. Long Island
Stonehill had a very nice season and definitely has a chance in this one. They lost a very close game to Bryant, who later lost to Long Island in a close game. So Long Island may be able to come away with a convincing win by a couple scores but at the same time, it may really come down to the wire. If Stonehill can dictate the clock and have some things go right on special teams, then I like their chances. I'll still take Long Island 7 times out of 10 but it should be another fun one to watch.

NSIC
UMC vs. Northern State
Northern State is still one year away from being able to make this a very tough game for UMC, as UMC's roster is loaded this year and they've taken down the opposition to prove it. It shouldn't be all that close in the end even though the score may be somewhat close at the half.

PSAC
Mansfield vs. Indiana (PA)
A classic rivalry that Mansfield finally came out on top last season. These two teams are starting to look closer like a true coin flip match but I still think Indiana has the edge. They just have more talent in more places but don't count out Mansfield for even a second. Fotman wants to defend that conference title from last year with every fiber of his being. I'll take Indiana in a close one but won't be surprised at all if Mansfield is the winner. It would be very big for either team to win when it comes to seeding implications. One of these two will end up being under-seeded.

RMAC
NMHU vs. Colorado-Mines
A great defensive matchup earlier this year was decided with a final score of 6-3 with Mines coming out on top. I really doubt it'll be just that low scoring again but it could still be a very close game. It's mattyice's only chance at getting in to the playoffs as a loss would guarantee not making it. A conference title will help with vision, even if it would be a one and done for Highlands. I like Mines in this one though as I think the majority of the 'more scoring' will come from tiltwar's squad.

SAC
Glenville vs. Carson-Newman
I don't think Glenville will have a great chance in this one but I also was surprised to see them being the team to take down their division and end up having this chance in the CCG. But Carson-Newman seems to have a bit too much talent to give too much hope to Glenville. Cubsfandave has also started to have some more consistent results so I'll take CN in a fairly convincing effort. This game will have some huge bubble implications as Glenville may be able to stay in the hunt with a loss but they'll probably have to play CN close for that to be the case.

SIAC
Saint Joseph's vs. Miles
A rematch from earlier this year that certainly didn't disappoint and had Miles showing up big time on the map. They would be the team with the second most impressive resume and effort this year, just behind Virginia State. A couple of incredible RBs makes a not so incredible defense look like a very viable candidate to come out on top in the SIAC. Saint Joe's did have the better 2nd half in the teams' last meeting but it wasn't enough. They did bounce back in a big way to beat Quincy later in the year though to put themselves in the CCG for the first time since season 16!!! Wow that's been a while. This should be a very close game as it has been in the teams' last three meetings. Probably another coin flip.

GSC
Valdosta State vs. West Alabama
Nitros gave a light guarantee to make the playoffs this year and it looks like it may just pay off. Even if they get blown out, I don't know if there are enough teams to make much of a move in the direction ahead of West Alabama. It should likely not be very close with Valdosta coming away with the win but an undefeated season up to this point is a huge win as it is for nitros. To come to think of it, I don't know if I've ever seen a 13-1 team not make the playoffs so that makes me think that West Alabama, while still only being the #27 ranked team in WIS, will still be getting a bid.

LSC
SEO vs. ACU
SEO should have this in the bag as the last meeting between these two earlier in the year resulted in a very lopsided result in favor of SEO. They do have quite a bit more talent and a much better recent history and I don't see much of anything that can possibly change that this time around. I like SEO convincingly.

MIAA
Lock Haven vs. Truman State
This should be a freebie for LH as Truman State is the only SIM team in the CCGs and they only finished 6-7. Sure they had a tough OOC but they also lost a couple games to SIMs that aren't very worthy of a conversation. LH should win comfortably and have another conference title.

Well, that's it folks. Playoffs are coming soon and it'll be very interesting to see some of these bracket draws. Here are some teams that we may end up seeing with #4 seeds or worse: Humboldt State, Quincy, Valdosta State, Lock Haven, ESUP, Millersville, Indiana (I highly doubt it, even with a loss, but there may be an outside chance of it as a possibility). Those are some crazy teams to have to face in the 2nd round if you are a #1 or #2 seed. Yikes. GL all!
5/31/2016 1:33 AM
Nice summary Icki. Thanks for taking the time. Stuff like this always makes the game so much more enjoyable. I hope someday WIS will provide some credit for the extra content.
5/31/2016 11:32 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Season 108 DII Blog Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.