Scouts Topic

I'll get to the point. A guy pointing a radar gun isn't needed. Pitchers have been clocked time and time again. Do they really need to see it for themselves that a guy brings it at 94 MPH? In today's game, leaning towards analytics over eyeballs, and mounds of film on virtually every college player, the scout at a college game is more than likely a friend of a friend who got the job as a favor. It seems, if they want to maintain employment, that they'd like to show they have value.

If that was my job, I'd watch the game. Maybe I pick up something I can tell my employer, maybe I don't but, at the very least, it appears that I'm trying. There are worse things than watching a game at the ballpark where you already are.

Hard to believe anyone is arguing that guys paid to watch baseball players shouldn't bother watching baseball players.
5/9/2016 12:57 PM
"the scout at a college game is more than likely a friend of a friend who got the job as a favor."

I don't think this is true.

"A guy pointing a radar gun isn't needed."

Considering how much variance major league pitchers see in their velocity, it makes sense that teams would want multiple data points on college pitchers. And not all radar readings are equal. Maybe teams trust their own guys to get a more accurate reading.

Hard to believe that you're still going on about this.
5/9/2016 1:26 PM
Radar readings are for maintained velocity and speed differential.
5/9/2016 1:54 PM
Scouts stay employed by providing correct assessments.
5/9/2016 1:56 PM
So, if a guy has consistent 94-95 velocity from MANY sources into the 7th inning, the Reds need to send their radar guy to confirm it? Same goes with 80-82 change-ups(for your speed differential).

Do scouts only have to assess one player? Couldn't they throw in a bonus assessment every now and then?

Honestly, I'm beginning to believe teams don't need 'em at all based on what's been posted in this thread. Teams could send in psychologists to read their personality. You can use tape to assess skillset.
5/9/2016 3:15 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/9/2016 3:15:00 PM (view original):
So, if a guy has consistent 94-95 velocity from MANY sources into the 7th inning, the Reds need to send their radar guy to confirm it? Same goes with 80-82 change-ups(for your speed differential).

Do scouts only have to assess one player? Couldn't they throw in a bonus assessment every now and then?

Honestly, I'm beginning to believe teams don't need 'em at all based on what's been posted in this thread. Teams could send in psychologists to read their personality. You can use tape to assess skillset.
"MANY" sources? Pretty sure there isn't pitch/fx installed in most college parks. They probably need to independently verify reported velocity.

You have such a sharp stick up your *** about this and it's really inconsequential. Not sure what college teams you're talking about, but if there were only three scouts there and they all left early, it's unlikely there's an unknown stud ready to blow their minds with his garbage time PA in the 8th inning.
5/9/2016 7:30 PM (edited)
That is exactly what I am saying Mike. Tape is nearly entirely for tool assessment. Radar scouts are mostly there to have a prospect know they are there, and to see velocity at pitch 1, 50, 75, and 100.

the scouts in the seats will never be eliminated because they are judging demeanor and situational responses exclusively....things tape can't judge
5/9/2016 7:17 PM
If a prospect is done the next assignment awaits
5/9/2016 7:19 PM
Yep.

The scouts are there to evaluate, not discover.
5/9/2016 7:29 PM
Posted by edsortails on 5/9/2016 7:17:00 PM (view original):
That is exactly what I am saying Mike. Tape is nearly entirely for tool assessment. Radar scouts are mostly there to have a prospect know they are there, and to see velocity at pitch 1, 50, 75, and 100.

the scouts in the seats will never be eliminated because they are judging demeanor and situational responses exclusively....things tape can't judge
And I'm saying there are plenty of noted times on pitches 1, 50, 75, 100. So what if your gun reads 98 and the other guy's reads 97?

And, if you want to read demeanor, send a shrink not some dude that was a good clubhouse guy who petered out in AA.

My point is this is a dying profession. Bring something to the table or expect to be replaced.
5/9/2016 7:50 PM
I don't think amatuer scouts are going away any time soon. College and high school stats aren't enough to project professional success. And video isn't always available.

But, if I'm wrong and scouting is dying, some ******* watching three more innings of Kentucky/SC on a Sunday afternoon isn't going to make a difference.
5/9/2016 7:54 PM
Here's the specific guy I was thinking about: Sean Hjelle-Kentucky
6'11" and listed generously at 200 lbs. He's a freshman that's thrown a total of 19 innings. Far from a finished product. Had his longest outing either yesterday or Saturday, 4 innings. So, while he's in college for 2 more years, it seems like a radar gun guy could have watched him and reported whether or not he was worth following. Now, of course, they will have plenty of time to evaluate him. But, as far as resource allocation goes, I don't get why a guy in the stadium can't stick around for three hours. Especially since it's a dying job. Provide value.
5/9/2016 7:57 PM
This has to be one of the dumbest RSF's ever.
5/9/2016 8:07 PM
AGREED!

YE HAVE THE INGREDIENTS: MIKETITTY, ORTAILS, BAD_LUCK, ET AL. BUT IT SUCKS NUTS!
5/9/2016 8:13 PM
I'm guessing the scouts were black or Hispanic. Therefore Mikey figured they were lazy. RACIST!!!!
5/9/2016 8:32 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Scouts Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.