Does the SIM give added weight to the home run factor for guys known for their prodigious blasts-- like Mantle, Kingman, and Giancarlo Stanton-- on the theory that such guys would be more likely to hit homers in huge, homer unfriendly parks than sluggers with less power would be?
5/9/2016 3:45 PM
I doubt it
5/9/2016 3:52 PM
Nope. HR/100AB# is your best search. I find that a guy will not underachieve if doesn't walk a lot. I love a guy like Berkman, and he will produce, but his HR numbers might not be big. And I will always avoid tons of K's if I can help it.

Some of the early guys do well. Freeman, Cy Williams, Cravath and Tilly Walker can provide plenty. Try '80 or '84 Tony Armas...has OF range too.
5/9/2016 4:35 PM (edited)
Thanks.
5/10/2016 1:43 PM
As you know Greg, the HR is tough to hit in this game namely because a lot of leagues are full of dead ball pitchers who yield few HRs. If you're playing a theme where the dead ballers are out of play the HR is a nice weapon.
5/10/2016 9:11 PM
Posted by cwillis802 on 5/10/2016 9:11:00 PM (view original):
As you know Greg, the HR is tough to hit in this game namely because a lot of leagues are full of dead ball pitchers who yield few HRs. If you're playing a theme where the dead ballers are out of play the HR is a nice weapon.
True. I've built offensive teams based on speed and done well enough with them, but I do love my power guys.
5/11/2016 1:46 PM
I enjoy power too and wish more normalization would occur so deadballers give up HRs in this game more often. The dead ball hitters are normalized to hit more HR, so the pitchers should also give up more.

I often run theme leagues that do away with those pitchers and it's a lot of fun seeing players put up bigger HR numbers. Your question is a good point. Guys that are super strong and really do hit the ball out of any ballpark should hit more HR. Perhaps they need to create a strength rating much like speed.
5/11/2016 8:56 PM
No, because then you are tainting their real life accomplishments. You are taking a 5-iron out of their hands, and giving them a driver...do you want to give a base stealer rocket skates?

I think a rebalance of normalization would suffice. Tweak the deadball pitchers...you would see the usage of modern pitchers increase too.
5/11/2016 10:22 PM
Posted by cwillis802 on 5/11/2016 8:56:00 PM (view original):
I enjoy power too and wish more normalization would occur so deadballers give up HRs in this game more often. The dead ball hitters are normalized to hit more HR, so the pitchers should also give up more.

I often run theme leagues that do away with those pitchers and it's a lot of fun seeing players put up bigger HR numbers. Your question is a good point. Guys that are super strong and really do hit the ball out of any ballpark should hit more HR. Perhaps they need to create a strength rating much like speed.
I generally limit the theme leagues I run to post-WWII for just that reason-- though I do miss having Ruth, Gehrig, etc. My next league may be 1920-1995.
5/12/2016 1:56 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.