I am at the end of the season in one of my leagues, playoffs are about over. I have a guy that is making $5 million on a one year contract but is arbitration eligible in off season. He suffered a long term injury just before regular season ended and still has 172 days left of recovery. I put him on 60 DL at the time of the injury.

Will the injury days continue into next season? If so, then I don't want to keep this player and pay his large salary for sitting on DL. He is ok but not great. Will the system allow me to release him in the off season or will it make me go to arbitration because I had put him on DL at the time of the injury?
5/12/2016 8:13 AM
He'll still be injured after rollover, but no longer on the DL. I don't believe you can release an injured player, but I'm also not sure if there's an exception if the player is arb eligible. You shouldn't be forced to keep an arb-el player you don't want if he's injured.
5/12/2016 8:38 AM
You can release arb-el injured players. However, depending on the injury type and your medical budget, he could make some nice gains with recovery.
5/12/2016 8:54 AM
I assume this is your guy. Even with the medical bug, he's probably not worth keeping. A LHP with a mediocre vsR split . . . his career stats are on par with what you'd expect. He wasn't even worth the $5m you spent on him.
5/12/2016 9:15 AM
Yeah, even if he gets the "super recovery", his VR will still be sub-standard. Cut him loose.
5/12/2016 9:32 AM
At the time he was a body. More than what I had to cover the position with my minor leaguers not ready. My intention was to let him go. I assume I won't be able to dump him until roll over?
5/13/2016 8:46 AM
You can't release a guy on the DL.
5/13/2016 9:04 AM
Yeah I know you can't release a guy on IR, but when season ends so does his contract. ML teams don't have to resign injured players when there contracts are up. What I need to know is when season rolls over will he still be on IR or not? If not I should be able to release him right?
5/13/2016 11:50 PM
tec's initial response answered your first question and MikeT's post immediately after that answered the second.

1-"He'll still be injured after rollover, but no longer on the DL."
2-"You can release arb-el injured players."
5/14/2016 5:21 AM
Thanks for the help guys.
5/16/2016 4:08 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.