End of game planning Topic

What do you guys use for your end of game settings, I don't pay much attention to it except I put my winning late +2 to whatever I set my positioning to and losing late I go -2. I think there is something I am missing here
5/13/2016 11:06 AM
When I don't want to think about it, or I just want to set up an initial "default" setting, sure. I would suggest thinking about it as +/-2 against your initial setting for your team. In other words, evaluate your team and choose a "default" base at the beginning of the season. Maybe your team is a little weak on rebounding and has stronger/faster guards; then you might start most every game at -2. Then, quick & dirty, end of game winning is 0 and end of game losing is -4.

The more interesting option is when you go to that. I tend to give a setting at up or down by 3 or 4 points and want the adjustment to happen with enough time left to make a difference (so, I often go to 6 minutes out). You'll notice that it will jump back and forth during close games. If you played zone, then I'd add some additional comments. With a little more time, it really depends on your opponent.

The reality, however, is that the end of game settings won't change the course of your season. Maybe it wins or loses a couple games a season...maybe.
5/13/2016 12:09 PM
I do about the same thing MonsterTurtl, but I also shift into slowdown if I'm ahead by any amount with 6 minutes left. The thought being that at that stage, if I'm winning, I want to do as much as I can to minimize possessions over the final minutes.
5/13/2016 12:13 PM
As a general rule I make smaller end of game adjustments than what rogelio and rednu are recommending (no change or +/- 1 instead of 2, 4 minutes left instead of 6). But I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about it...

I would be curious to hear rogelio's additional thoughts about zone since that's what I play.
5/13/2016 1:36 PM
I tend to use shorter minutes for losing late on the defensive end, because I like to introduce the half-court press. Since I don't practice press, this is ultimately a losing proposition, and I don't want to do it for a large number of minutes. But it also increases variance, so it feels like the right thing to do in scenarios where me winning the game is already a relatively low-probability outcome. I think I have it set to -2 press/man when down 10 with 3 minutes to go or something like that.
5/13/2016 3:16 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/13/2016 3:16:00 PM (view original):
I tend to use shorter minutes for losing late on the defensive end, because I like to introduce the half-court press. Since I don't practice press, this is ultimately a losing proposition, and I don't want to do it for a large number of minutes. But it also increases variance, so it feels like the right thing to do in scenarios where me winning the game is already a relatively low-probability outcome. I think I have it set to -2 press/man when down 10 with 3 minutes to go or something like that.
That's an interesting thought
5/13/2016 7:19 PM
End of game planning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.