Why Did I Lose This Game? Topic

Crapped the bed against IU in last nights Simulation (Iba):
UMinn@IU

I thought my senior laden press would cause more turnovers.
Also, my team struggles against strong interior defenders - can I be game planning better to overcome this?
I was also surprised that Cook torched me to the tune of 25 points w/o a single FT attempt.
Lowest FGM and FG% of the season - is IU's defense really that good?

Those are my preliminary observations, any help and thoughts on this game are greatly appreciated.
5/14/2016 10:55 AM
Well you had your worst defender on his best offensive player and he killed you from 3.

Offensively it seems you struggled just because you don't have scorers especially from 3 so teams can pack it in and not worry about 3 shooting. Someone better can help with specific offensive gameplanning ideas. Probably going uptempo didn't help though either with no real ath/spd adv
5/14/2016 12:06 PM
Posted by the0nlyis on 5/14/2016 12:06:00 PM (view original):
Well you had your worst defender on his best offensive player and he killed you from 3.

Offensively it seems you struggled just because you don't have scorers especially from 3 so teams can pack it in and not worry about 3 shooting. Someone better can help with specific offensive gameplanning ideas. Probably going uptempo didn't help though either with no real ath/spd adv
I hear you on point 1, although I did not realize that player to player matchups really mattered that much with FCP. So, I'm guessing that matching up defenders to your opponent's best offensive players is impactful in FCP, but maybe not to the degree that it is for M2M?

I agree, ideally I would have some more perimeter scoring, but even after that atrocious outing the team is ranked 11th in Div.1 in ppg.

Maybe tempo played a part - one thing I noticed after my original post is that I have a FR who got 10 more minutes than a SO who is a much better FBP player, which hurt. I have adjusted my depth chart accordingly.
5/14/2016 6:34 PM
Also remember that while the better attributes do impact the probability that something will happen, there is still a Random Number Generator used at key points in every possession.

They don't figure out a final score then backfill info .. they run each possession and use the RNG to figure out 1) Who takes the shot, 2) who is guarding him, 3) Adjustments based on Attributes, 4) Outcome of the play.

Earlier plays do not impact future plays ..

So, there could be several less than 10% chance items in a row happen .. and some 90% or higher things could not happen. Meaning that if you were to simulate an individual game 1000 times, most of the time, the game results would fit into some kind of statistical curve where the most likely event would happen the most times .. but there will be outliers. Since they only simulate the game one time (and not hundreds or thousands), the game you get could be one of the outliers .. it could be the one game that a crappy SIM takes down the best team in the league.
5/14/2016 6:55 PM
A+ is huge when it comes to homecourt advantage.

The fact that Indiana is allowing 53.9PPG is pretty darn good, so to answer your question, yes they are a very good defensive team.

You have 3 guards with very good to excellent speed. However, the other 4 guards in the press are way below average, which I think is hurting your ability to get steals and more turnovers. In is my belief that you can't have a 95 speed guard and a 65 speed guard playing along side each other and expect to get the most out of your press, IMHO.

I would expect this to work the same way in this game, but it probably doesn't. If it does, then I'm thinking in a press, you can't really use your athleticism to your full advantage, if you don't have the speed to keep up with a player. It certainly applies in real life, but not sure how much of an impact that has in this game.

5/14/2016 7:45 PM (edited)
I think you'll be better off playing the 99SPD/PASS guy at PG rather than SG as well.
5/15/2016 9:29 AM
Choosing to go uptempo on the road against a team with better stamina than yours is probably a mistake. It's 11 deep vs. 12, but averaging out IU's RS gives the team an 82.36 stamina. You're not going to create a fatigue problem for that team. It's not such a bad loss anyhow.
5/15/2016 10:28 AM
Thanks for the input all - I appreciate it!
5/16/2016 4:38 PM
Why Did I Lose This Game? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.