Defensive Liability? Topic

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3227274

(DII)
Ok, I know he stinks at D, but with the 97 speed and A iq, should I start him or have him play lots off the bench?
5/14/2016 12:02 PM
At D3 he's an all american, but I'm sure he is more than capable of being a solid PG set at +2 from 3. However you run man so the high speed won't help cover his low ath/def like it would running a press. Any strong ath PG and good scoring will eat him up.
5/14/2016 12:08 PM
I don't see any great alternatives to him. With no lockdown defender guards, you might as well get his 20+ PPG, assuming he can stay out of foul trouble. On certain occasions you could try sneaking Potter in at PG against a non-pressing team with a scoring PG of their own and moving Driggs to the 2. Yeah, it might not go well in some cases, but it probably wouldn't with Driggs there either and maybe you'd keep Driggs out of foul trouble a little longer.

Maybe play some +3 or +4 defense to reduce the fouls, although that doesn't always do the trick. With Potter at the 1 you could have a little more rebounding to offset that.
5/14/2016 11:21 PM
I dont think he;s that bad. I mean, I would expect for other coaches to load up their PG distro but as long as he can play 20ish minutes a game and isn't giving up some ridiculous ofg% he should be okay. He brings a lot to the table for offense so he's worth the risk.
5/15/2016 9:21 AM
Ya I agree with jaxor, you dont have any alternatives. He's not bad for everything else but defense. The nice thing is he can be moved between pg and sg so you can move him throughout the season to make the best matchup possible but overall, its gonna hurt all season defensive for him
5/16/2016 9:39 PM
Ya, after tonight, he will have played 3 games and he will have played three different positions... I also can use Potter for pg, sg, sf, or pf. I'm really making a concerted effort not to recruit anymore guys like this. I at least wanted everyone, from now on, to hit at least 40 DE and 40 ATH.
5/16/2016 9:51 PM
I can't say for DII, but I had a similar player at DIII with less Ath and Def and he was a beast. I also had a good surrounding squad around him and was able to win a title with him as my starting pg.

In this case, I don't know if I'd start him, but he could be a stud coming off the bench and likely would face lesser players making his liability less of an issue. With that said, your other options for point guard aren't that great, so he would probably be your best starter. Alternatively, you could consider starting Potter as a pg. His passing could be a little higher, but I think he would fit the role.
5/16/2016 10:05 PM (edited)
There is not a significant difference between 40/40 (ATH/DEF) and 28/34 at D2. If I see that guy, I am attacking him.
5/16/2016 11:01 PM
Defensive Liability? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.