Anyone has numbers on IQ Topic

What does IQ means when it comes to stats and stuff. Do you guys have numbers?

A+, A, A-, B+ and so on.

5/15/2016 10:15 AM
Well .. there are many different takes on this .. here is mine:
Letter Grade Numerical Equivalent
A+ 100
A 95
A- 90
B+ 85
B 80
B- 75
C+ 70
C 65
C- 60
D+ 55
D 50
D- 45
F 40
5/15/2016 12:09 PM
I use the same chart as FT, which I think is:

A+ 97
A 93
A- 90
B+ 87
B 93
B- 80
5/15/2016 12:12 PM
Fwiw, I don't think there's a cap on how high an A+ Can go...similar to prestige.
5/15/2016 12:23 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 5/15/2016 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Fwiw, I don't think there's a cap on how high an A+ Can go...similar to prestige.
Fwiw?
5/15/2016 12:28 PM
Posted by CoachWard95 on 5/15/2016 12:28:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 5/15/2016 12:23:00 PM (view original):
Fwiw?
For what it's worth
5/15/2016 12:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Ok so Trenton,

A+ would mean 97% of the stat or 97% or an ability like scoring defending ... Since it's IQ of the team game. Is that everytime you have an action, your player as a 3% of screwing it up before it goes to see if It can be defended. I truly need to understand how IQ works. I have had some terrible seasons where my IQ was low but felt my team was amazing and the reverse is also true.
5/15/2016 1:18 PM
Posted by zorzii on 5/15/2016 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Ok so Trenton,

A+ would mean 97% of the stat or 97% or an ability like scoring defending ... Since it's IQ of the team game. Is that everytime you have an action, your player as a 3% of screwing it up before it goes to see if It can be defended. I truly need to understand how IQ works. I have had some terrible seasons where my IQ was low but felt my team was amazing and the reverse is also true.
nobody really knows the model under which iq function. does it multiply other ratings, or sum with them to form aggregates, who knows.

however, we do know that iq is not some uniform concept you can apply to a player's ratings or abilities across the board. the notion of having a chart, 100% for A+, etc, is essentially incongruent with that fact. at times, the impact of iq on scoring, or some other ability, has been tweaked, which is why know iq is not some player-wide thing.

my take is that iq is applied at an ability level, not to each rating - but i'm not sure i'd hazard a guess if iq is multiplied or added in. iq affects some things but not everything. for example, iq affects shooting percentages, rebounding, "getting team mates better looks", and defense in multiple ways (fg% and turnovers, minimally). iq does not seem to affect some other things, like ft shooting and fatigue. you could ask the question about every ability, i'm not sure of all the answers, like does iq affect how many turnovers a player commits - probably, i would guess yes, but i never took the time to look for it. in the olden days, the impact on shooting was pronounced, but that was brought down, so i guess an acros-the-board approximation would be more appropriate today than it once was.

5/15/2016 3:23 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/15/2016 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zorzii on 5/15/2016 1:18:00 PM (view original):
Ok so Trenton,

nobody really knows the model under which iq function. does it multiply other ratings, or sum with them to form aggregates, who knows.

however, we do know that iq is not some uniform concept you can apply to a player's ratings or abilities across the board. the notion of having a chart, 100% for A+, etc, is essentially incongruent with that fact. at times, the impact of iq on scoring, or some other ability, has been tweaked, which is why know iq is not some player-wide thing.

my take is that iq is applied at an ability level, not to each rating - but i'm not sure i'd hazard a guess if iq is multiplied or added in. iq affects some things but not everything. for example, iq affects shooting percentages, rebounding, "getting team mates better looks", and defense in multiple ways (fg% and turnovers, minimally). iq does not seem to affect some other things, like ft shooting and fatigue. you could ask the question about every ability, i'm not sure of all the answers, like does iq affect how many turnovers a player commits - probably, i would guess yes, but i never took the time to look for it. in the olden days, the impact on shooting was pronounced, but that was brought down, so i guess an acros-the-board approximation would be more appropriate today than it once was.

I think I agree with you wrt how it is applied. I don't think it modifies and attribute (like PE or LP) .. but it impacts an event like shooting, etc.

So while I give it a numeric rating (so that I can try to do a calculation with it), I don't use it to modify other attributes, I use to impact one of 4 overall ratings I use .. Offense, Defense, Ball Handling, Rebounding. How do I calculate those, you might ask. Like this:
Offensive Types ATH SPD LP PE BH IQ Total
LP 0.30 0.05 0.45 0.05 0.05 0.10 1.00
Balanced 0.20 0.10 0.20 0.20 0.20 0.10 1.00
PE 0.12 0.10 0.05 0.43 0.20 0.10 1.00
SlasherPE 0.20 0.10 0.09 0.24 0.27 0.10 1.00
SlasherLP 0.30 0.06 0.18 0.06 0.30 0.10 1.00
SlasherATH 0.38 0.08 0.03 0.03 0.38 0.10 1.00
SpeedPE 0.08 0.27 0.05 0.25 0.25 0.10 1.00
Defensive Types ATH SPD DE BLK IQ Total
LP 0.17 0.02 0.50 0.16 0.15 1.00
PE 0.11 0.22 0.50 0.02 0.15 1.00
Balanced 0.12 0.13 0.50 0.10 0.15 1.00
Rebounding
ATH REB D_IQ Total
0.30 0.60 0.10 1.00
Ball Handling
ATH SPD BH P O_IQ Total
0.08 0.08 0.37 0.37 0.10 1.00

So, for the offensive types and defensive types .. the highest of the 5 (for offense) or 3 (for defense) would be his overall rating in that area.

I have no idea if any of it really works .. it does help me set my Distribution ratings, etc.
5/15/2016 4:11 PM (edited)
As long as we all understand we are just guessing how this works, here is my take, a bit different than the others:

At each point a player has to make a decision (not an action, but a decision) there is an IQ-based chance he will get it wrong. And that chance is very small. Certainly we can all observe that even an F or a D- gets it right most of the time. If the 'correct' play for the set is for the 1 to pass to the 4 who is breaking open in the post, an A+ will do this 99+% of the time. But a D- will also attempt the correct play most of the time, perhaps as much as 95% of the time. Once the decision is made, actually executing the pass then is based on the other attributes.

When I read a box score and see certain text messages I wonder if it could be IQ in action. "Sammy Stonehands throws the ball away, out of bounds" Did he botch the pass, or did he throw to where he thought a teammate would be? "Sammy Stonehands is all alone and drills an easy jumper". You get this message often enough in M2M W/O DT when Sammy is slower than his defender . . perhaps his defender covered the wrong man or somehow blew a defensive IQ check.

Sad thing is we'll never know.
5/15/2016 6:31 PM
I am more like Deroches. I think it's an action on the defensive or offensive side and IQ plays a part to determine if he gets it through if he succeeds to start it.
5/15/2016 7:08 PM
i used to figure it worked something like that, but there's nothing in the engine decision steps laid out for us that really suggests that would be the case. it just doesn't fit. it might be a factor in some things, like specific turnover rolls and such, but most of the impact of IQ almost certainly comes from a direct impact on shooting, rebounding, and defensive outcomes.

based on the above, to me, there are sort of 3 places iq could fit - it could modify ratings, and it could modify abilities, before or after they are mapped to an outcome. for example, for a shooter, their ratings combine to form some ability, which is somehow compared to the defensive ability and mapped to a field goal %, and then a dice is rolled against that field goal %. i figure iq comes into play before the ability is mapped. i like to think of shooting as placing you somewhere on a curve, if you image a graph of projected fg% over ability score, as a curve, basically like the parabolic curve of n squared rotated over x=y, so the the curve starts steep and flattens out in a nice sloping fashion. this kind of curve would explain why shooting ability increases are so worthless for long parts of the 0->60 scaling (a 1 per/spd/bh is not that much more unacceptable than a 50 per/spd/bh, even in d3, and to 60/60/60 for high d3), then scales so rapidly from 60->90 but then drops off. i think the reason for this is that a 90/90/90 guy is already so high on the parabolic curve that he is essentially adding nothing by going to 100/100/100, even if the base product of those ratings is substantially higher than at 90/90/90.

to me, iq most likely comes before the mapping from ability to chance of a particular outcome, for 2 main reasons. first, coding wise, earlier is easier. second, for offense, where iq was most prominent, and still where it is of particular import, if iq was applied afterwards, you would think for high end ratings players - there would be meaningful differentiation between a+ and a- players, in d1. there is not. in d2 and d3, from my experience, there is - you continue to reap significant benefits of IQ all the way up the scale. the reality is, in d2/d3, you generally don't hit that top part of the curve, so continuing to increase ratings generally always matters. in d1, adding 5 per/spd/bh to a player, it can often add negative net value - the increase in shooting % is so small, it is easily out weighted by the increased chance of leaving early. you see similar impact from iq - marginal increases matter everywhere until you get to that high end, at which point they add so little, the benefit disappears. this would only happen if iq was applied to the ability at an early place - IMO, it is applied precisely at the place where the ability is initially constructed, before it is compared or translated.
5/15/2016 8:06 PM (edited)
Thanks Gillespie. Wow, that might be a bit over my head. I have a math teacher friend i can get to help me imagine rotating n2/x=y. But I want to understand - It sounds like you are saying that

A) the IQ effects are applied to the stats before anything is resolved as part of the shot/block/steal whatever.
B) how much impact this effect has depends on weather the combined set of skills and factors put him on the steep side of the curve, with the most effect being seen in players with attributes in the 50-90 range.

is that correct?

I have never noticed guys with stats near 1 performing similar to guys at 50 . . although my first ever team 'starred' a center with athleticism 6 and he seemed to do better than should have been possible . . I have noticed a lot of guys with LP and PER both around 40-60 seem to do really well.
5/15/2016 8:41 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/15/2016 12:12:00 PM (view original):
I use the same chart as FT, which I think is:

A+ 97
A 93
A- 90
B+ 87
B 93
B- 80
I was thinking the same thing. Using the free throw chart would make the most sense.
5/15/2016 8:51 PM
12 Next ▸
Anyone has numbers on IQ Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.