Dropping from Big 6 to D3 Topic

I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I'm not sure I am even going to do this anyway, but would like to know this answer before I do it.

Right now I have several Big 6 schools, including some that have a nice baseline. Several of them are at A+ prestige.

Supposing I dropped down to D3 and coached there. I would expect that I would do really well there, since I always did. So, let's say that's the case, an I consistently go reasonably deep in the NT for 5 years in a row. Could I, at that point, come back to an A+ prestige D1 school, since I would have qualified before I went to D3.

I am getting a bit frustrated with EEs at D1. I'll recruit great players, and they leave before they develop fully, and I find myself having to "rebuild" almost every year.

I do like D1 the best, I think, but I liked the fact that if I recruited a player at D3 or D2, I knew they would be there for 4 years. It made it much easier to plan in recruiting. More than a few times at I have a great looking team that should return, but "poof" there goes my entire back court.
5/16/2016 5:33 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 5/16/2016 5:35:00 PM (view original):
I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I'm not sure I am even going to do this anyway, but would like to know this answer before I do it.

Right now I have several Big 6 schools, including some that have a nice baseline. Several of them are at A+ prestige.

Supposing I dropped down to D3 and coached there. I would expect that I would do really well there, since I always did. So, let's say that's the case, an I consistently go reasonably deep in the NT for 5 years in a row. Could I, at that point, come back to an A+ prestige D1 school, since I would have qualified before I went to D3.

I am getting a bit frustrated with EEs at D1. I'll recruit great players, and they leave before they develop fully, and I find myself having to "rebuild" almost every year.

I do like D1 the best, I think, but I liked the fact that if I recruited a player at D3 or D2, I knew they would be there for 4 years. It made it much easier to plan in recruiting. More than a few times at I have a great looking team that should return, but "poof" there goes my entire back court.
What world?
5/16/2016 5:52 PM
Not sure. Not even sure I want to do this, but got frustrated when I lost my best PG as a sophomore for Oklahoma, and a junior SF
5/16/2016 5:57 PM
I built a **** D team into a C+ D1 team over the course of 5-6 seasons and dropped back to D2 and instantly didn't qualify the next season for my same team, after getting my D2 team ranked in the top 25 and making consistent NT appearances I still struggle to qualify for low end D1 teams. I assume to make your vision happen you'd have to be winning NT's and or making to the sweet 16 or even elite 8 almost every season to qualify for a big 6 school but i can also think that to get to an A+ school idk if thats possible without mulitple NT win's in a row? just also judging at how hard hiring is for D1 as well.... Im not that seasoned here in whatifsports history maybe 20 seasons but that is my 2 cents. Overall even deep consistent runs i dont think you could make A+ D1, I bet you could get B\B+ but even A- might be a stretch
5/16/2016 6:25 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 5/16/2016 5:58:00 PM (view original):
Not sure. Not even sure I want to do this, but got frustrated when I lost my best PG as a sophomore for Oklahoma, and a junior SF
Don't EE's effect perstige?
5/16/2016 7:06 PM
Yes, they do effect prestige - really draft picks are what do it - so it's kind of a catch 22. If you try to get good players who will not leave early, you want to hope they still get drafted. I personally think that there is too much emphasis on draft picks for prestige, but that's just my opinion. If you have an A+ at a Big 6, you can consistently get top players, but when they leave early it is super frustrating because you never know what kind of team will come back. This also makes it harder for teams that are in the B+/A- range because they tend to get beat out by the A+ teams for the best players.
5/16/2016 7:13 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 5/16/2016 5:35:00 PM (view original):

no... not even remotely close. you might want to retire and start a new ID, in case you want to return to d1 in that world. you'll basically have to "re-climb the ladder" if you drop down.
5/16/2016 7:31 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by CoachWard95 on 5/16/2016 7:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 5/16/2016 7:13:00 PM (view original):
Yes, they do effect prestige - really draft picks are what do it - so it's kind of a catch 22. If you try to get good players who will not leave early, you want to hope they still get drafted. I personally think that there is too much emphasis on draft picks for prestige, but that's just my opinion. If you have an A+ at a Big 6, you can consistently get top players, but when they leave early it is super frustrating because you never know what kind of team will come back. This also makes it harder for teams that are in the B+/A- range because they tend to get beat out by the A+ teams for the best players.
In real llife its a good thing to have early entries. Not so sure why you think its a bad thing honestly it helps get more good players going your way.
the impact in this game is not like real life. having a bunch of 1st round picks gives you a small boost for 1 season - and then it stops mattering COMPLETELY for all future seasons.
5/16/2016 7:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
It's literally the last sentence in the post you quoted.
5/16/2016 8:49 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 5/16/2016 7:52:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachWard95 on 5/16/2016 7:36:00 PM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 5/16/2016 7:13:00 PM (view original):
In real llife its a good thing to have early entries. Not so sure why you think its a bad thing honestly it helps get more good players going your way.
the impact in this game is not like real life. having a bunch of 1st round picks gives you a small boost for 1 season - and then it stops mattering COMPLETELY for all future seasons.
Seems like that's something that they should fix. I guess the idea would be to retire from that world, and go to one of the other worlds where I have not yet qualified for D1. Then, if I change my mind, I can just come out of retirement and jump back on a good team again. It almost seems like it would be a good strategy to not just go after the very best players, but to at least go after a few that will develop and be great when they are seniors and have the A+ IQ,
5/16/2016 11:04 PM
i just suffered through 3 EEs from my Knight MD team this season and it hurts so I understand your pain. The same thing was happening when I coached Syracuse and I quit the game for a few seasons and was able to get top programs when I returned. If you want to coach in D3 I recommend using a different ID.
5/17/2016 10:35 AM
Thanks - I had asked support, and here is the official answer:

This is not recommended at all as you will take a Severe Loyalty and Reputation hit that will take a long time to recover from.

Also, Success at the DIII level is not calculated the same at the DI level, so you would likely not even qualify right away, even with great success at the DIII level.
5/17/2016 11:51 AM
Exactly, I have dropped down from successful D1 programs on several ID's before out of boredom and you start over. The game doesn't care if you were Dean Smith in another life. You are a D3 coach and your last 4 seasons are all that seem to matter.
5/18/2016 5:02 PM
12 Next ▸
Dropping from Big 6 to D3 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.