Defensive positioning Topic

Back in the day playing -5 was a gimmick. They made some changes to increase fouls, but I think they went too far. If I am playing a team that takes zero 3 point shots, it would only make sense to pack the paint. But that benefit is taken away by the amount of fouls playing -5 creates. So if I am playing a team that takes zero 3s it seems I would be better off playing a regular defense at -1 or -2. That is just silly. There should be some detriment to never taking a 3, not a reward.

Furthermore, the logic does not make sense. If I pack the paint I should actually foul less. My defensive players should be set and in a defensive position to take charges. and force the other team to shoot, not to hack them.
5/17/2016 9:11 AM
I agree 100%...shame these and other easier things couldnt be fixed instead of the "New Seble" creation". It is now a gimmick to have high ATH, LP and FT...and ignore Per
5/17/2016 9:19 AM
IF your team is on par or better than the other team in ATH you can play -5 without it being a huge deal.
5/17/2016 9:21 AM
Posted by scaturo on 5/17/2016 9:21:00 AM (view original):
IF your team is on par or better than the other team in ATH you can play -5 without it being a huge deal.
That may be so, but shouldn't playing -5 mitigate that as well? My guys may not be as athletic but if they are already in defensive position it shouldn't matter. I understand this was all done to stop the -5 from being a magic bullet, but it has went too far in the opposite direction. The 3 point shot should be a valuable tool, but why shoot them if you can get to the line 35+ times a game by ignoring it?
5/17/2016 12:27 PM
I don't agree with you but I think I have the minority position.

IRL, if you pack the paint and try to force me to take jumpers it's a great plan but if I know you literally can't stop me if I drive to basket I am going to keep attacking the rim and have you foul me.
5/17/2016 12:30 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/17/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):

IRL, if you pack the paint and try to force me to take jumpers it's a great plan but if I know you literally can't stop me if I drive to basket I am going to keep attacking the rim and have you foul me.
Sure Joe, but if I have 5 guys with a foot in the paint, I can stop you. It should garner more fouls but not 10-15 more.
5/17/2016 12:33 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 5/17/2016 12:30:00 PM (view original):

I agree with Trenton.This is what happens when you close the key. We clug up the middle but we tend to foul a lot more since they have to make their way into the crowded area to get a shot off. Sagging defense foul more for sure. But at the same time, it makes it a lot tougher in the paint when it's time to score. You get a benefit, but you do get two disadvantages : outside shooting is easier, you foul a bit more. I like the way the defensive positioning works in this game.
5/17/2016 12:34 PM
I disagree. Real life (yes this is not real life but is suppose to Simulate real life) if 5 players are in or near the paint there is no room to penetrate or to pass inside the paint 90% of the time. NO Real life team would ever play that defense because of the wide open perimeter shots would be easy pickings.
A setting of -5 should force teams to take those wide open shots... perimeter shots...this current system does not in fact do that. it not only causes more fouls but very few charging( but doesn't even stop the points in the paint that much to make it worthwhile to use.)
5/17/2016 1:12 PM
I don't think -5 is suppose to simulate 5 guys in the paint 90% of the time....
5/17/2016 2:48 PM
Posted by dadbod on 5/17/2016 2:48:00 PM (view original):
really it says "-5 Take away the inside" so that should mean occasionally?
5/17/2016 4:12 PM
Posted by taniajane on 5/17/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Well.. This a computer game, not actual people on a court. So, playing -5 just has the effect that the guy programmed in.. More fouls, lower chance of making shots close to the basket, higher chance of making outside shots, lower number of shots inside, higher number of shots outside. This is a game of equations and probability and random number generation.
5/17/2016 10:51 PM
Posted by hughesjr on 5/17/2016 10:51:00 PM (view original):
Posted by taniajane on 5/17/2016 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Well.. This a computer game, not actual people on a court. So, playing -5 just has the effect that the guy programmed in.. More fouls, lower chance of making shots close to the basket, higher chance of making outside shots, lower number of shots inside, higher number of shots outside. This is a game of equations and probability and random number generation.
YEP.....not a simulation of real life
5/18/2016 4:32 AM
Have you ever seen a basketball game where a team stands in the paint on defense? I haven't.
5/18/2016 6:19 AM
Posted by dadbod on 5/18/2016 6:19:00 AM (view original):
Have you ever seen a basketball game where a team stands in the paint on defense? I haven't.
I'm not sure I've seen a team take 0 legit 3 pointers in real life (not including end of half or end of game full/half court shot). But that's pretty common in HD. Hence why you CAN'T have the entire team stand in the paint in real life.
5/18/2016 7:12 AM
Posted by Benis on 5/18/2016 7:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by dadbod on 5/18/2016 6:19:00 AM (view original):
I'm not sure I've seen a team take 0 legit 3 pointers in real life (not including end of half or end of game full/half court shot). But that's pretty common in HD. Hence why you CAN'T have the entire team stand in the paint in real life.
yep.........I Assume all commenting on the -5 have at least attempted it. NO it doesnt stop post scoring and it DOES NOT increase perimeter scoring. It simply created more fouls. TRUE if your team is more Athletic and has a Great Interior defense it will slow down the post scoring and have less fouls, but a setting of 0 will do the same with that superior advantage.
It is a useless setting that people game for advantage. If it was real life and a team had no perimeter threat...darn right their opponents would be packing the paint and would see a great amount of offensive fouls.

But this is not real life
5/18/2016 7:19 AM
12 Next ▸
Defensive positioning Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.