International Free Agent Topic

I had a busy week, and made an offer to an International Free Agent (IFA) who had been available for negotiations for a few days. I made him a big league offer, and there is a suggestion that IFAs will not accept 1 yr big league offers so it recommended making an offer with a minimum of three years. So I did.

The cycle happened to end right after I made the offer, and I got a message from the IFA saying that he only wanted a one year offer so a minor league deal would do - and that he would accept my offer if I remade it as a one year deal. But when I tried to make that one year offer, I learned he had already signed with another team - for less money (he accepted a $3M bonus, my offer was $5M).

This is a rather minor issue, but I would suggest either changing the wording in that message/sending a different message if the player accepts another offer in that same cycle OR changing the programming so that if an IFA has a higher offer on a three year big league deal, then he doesn't accept a lower, one year, minor league deal until the other owner has a chance to make the higher offer on a one year, minor league deal (which the player would obviously wait for in real life).

Thanks,

David
5/17/2016 3:32 PM
I am pretty sure you can only offer bonuses to IFAs, with the possible addition of a spring training invite. The contract, different than the bonus, will be whatever minor-league level you assign him to, with the Rookie level being the default.

So if I read your post correctly, your offer of a $5M contract (not sure of your bonus offer) would have been trumped by a $3M bonus.
5/19/2016 2:08 PM
The $5M was a bonus offer. You can't enter anything but the Rookie-level minimum for the 1st season. So it was not trumped by $3M, which also had to be a bonus offer.
5/22/2016 2:14 AM
International Free Agent Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.