PETITION: Kill the Artificial 10% Batting Bump-Up Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I will sign this petition.
5/17/2016 8:35 PM
Signed

Aurelio Longfellow
5/17/2016 11:25 PM
Signed

Pete Zahut
5/18/2016 12:00 AM
Maybe I'm the one misremembering, but I don't think this was an adjustment made for customers but a response to customer complaints. I think the weighting was always there. And it's not random. Numerous studies have shown that batters have bigger influence than pitchers on the outcome of at-bats (in other words, great hitters beat great pitchers - and if you doubt that, look at historical All-Star game results).
5/18/2016 12:09 AM
No. I'm saying I don't think it was implemented as a result of customer complaints. I believe it already existed and was merely pointed out at that time.
5/18/2016 4:15 PM
There certainly aren't any release notes about a change like this. I just looked it up. But those only go back to 2005 or so.
5/18/2016 4:24 PM
Here are the release notes from what I assume is the release you're talking about:

04/12/2007

1. Improved range ratings using a hybrid of the relative range factor detailed in the Fielding Bible
    2. Fatigue adjustment for the playoffs (i.e. no more Bob Mlacki strategy)
    3. Change our logic for the rare 3-game tie involving 2 division leaders and a second place team where the division leader losing the 1-game playoff game is eliminated from the playoffs. Our change will mimic how MLB currently handles this situation
    4. Begin using the Hardball Dynasty engine for SimLeague Baseball (it was designed with this in mind). What this means is we will instantly have fielding stats, split stats, extended stats, dramatically improved boxscores including much more detail, daily highlights in the League Office, new pitcher roles, pinch-hitting hierarchies, player rest and defensive replacement hierarchies, intentional walk managerial setting, position player rest, pitchers can bat anywhere in the lineup, target and max pitch count settings, and more. We will continue to have individual base stealing settings in SLB. The inner workings of the engine will stay the same (how the batter pitcher outcome is decided, etc.)
    5. New player salaries incorporating many of the items pointed out in the suggestion thread (log5 values, bb/so re-weighting, catcher arm, etc.)
    6. Evaluate treatment of deadball pitchers in terms of allowing home runs
    7. Verify strikeouts are working as they should be (high K guys not striking enough batters out during a season, according to some users)
    8. Update newer ballpark ratings (parks debuting within the last 5 years)
    9. Evaluate the franchise names of some 1800 teams so they correspond with Baseball-Reference and other references.
    10. Re-evaluate the Cy Young, MVP, ROY and All-Star logic
    11. Add fielding records to our records section
    12. Remove 3-6-3 bunts as well as evaluate all DP occurrences (stemming from JohnGPF's thread and analysis)
    13. Look into the batter's influence on drawing walks
    14. Reduce chances of reaching 1st following wp or pb on third strike
    15. Evaluate inside-the-park hr for non-speedsters
    16. Introduce ballpark dimensions (not factors) into distribution of and type of balls hit to the outfield. Dimensions should also play a role in outfielders covering ground.
    17. Add logic for 1B in terms of "saving" errors or "causing" throwing errors so out-of-position 1B incur more of a penalty
    18. Add Career Theme Leagues (All Babe Ruth seasons wrapped into 1)
    19. New Veteran Open League league type for those with 5+ World Series appearances
    20. Theme option of using DH in one division or the other or both or none
    21. Several LIVE improvements including effectiveness of playing the infield in, suicide squeezes, pickoffs when not holding runner on, and ks on sac bunt attempts
    22. Default settings for teams entering league will use recommended settings instead of basics
    23. Tons of new statistical criteria in player search
    24. Multi-franchise select in player search
    25. First and Last season filter option in player search
    26. Log5 stats in player search
    27. 2 more user-defined filter box options
    28. Remaining salary as choice for max salary
    29. Option for including secondary position in search
    30. Add clone options for both types of team filter in Theme Wizard
    31. Add catcher throwing arm grade as filter in theme wizard
    32. Add option to enforce fielding grade restrictions on secondary fielding grades in theme wizard
    33. include more stats as filter options including the normalized ratios (OBP+, etc)
    34. Add option to use prospects' real names in Theme Wizard
    35. Add ability to remove blacklisted season(s) in theme wizard
    36. Add ability to select individual leagues instead of just cities/teams/franchises in theme wizard
    37. Add TOC game results to the My games page
    38. Change logic so duplicate owners won't appear in the same region in TOCs
    39. Adjust the way the League/GM/Manager Offices work so you don't always have to go the League Office when switching teams which will allow for more direct links
    40. Generate a new Player's Guide for newer users
    41. Allow owners to release a player without also having to claim one off waivers
    42. Evaluate the listed price for players on waivers (should it include the fee?)
    43. Add ability to load spring league team or other draft center teams to the draft center
    44. Add fielding ratings to theme league commish roster page
    45. break apart some stats in Team Rankings page for easier exporting
Maybe #13 ( Look into the batter's influence on drawing walks ) influenced the batter/pitcher relationships, but there is absolutely nothing pertaining to hits.
5/18/2016 9:16 PM
Anyway, this is not something that bears arguing about. If you look at the presentation slides from a few years ago, it's not exactly a clean 10% weighting difference, and it varies from event to event. The weightings are based on regression analyses of MLB matchups, they exist for a reason. Why exactly is it that you want them removed?
5/18/2016 9:27 PM
12 Next ▸
PETITION: Kill the Artificial 10% Batting Bump-Up Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.