A member of my world and I were debating what the most important pitcher ratings are for success. We differed almost entirely. Please rank order of importance(in your opinion):

1. Splits
2. Control
3. Pitches
4. GB%
5. Velocity

Also does your order change depending on starter/reliever?
5/17/2016 8:02 PM
No one has answered because pitching is more complicated than that. Essentially, the majors(splits, pitches, control) have "bottoms". One you reach a certain point, the other ratings can't "save" a pitcher. However, as long as they're above that threshold, excellent ratings in other categories can fix one bad rating.

For me, VR is the most important. Then control, VL, P1. Yet you'll find my pitching staffs littered with 40ish control guys because the splits and pitches resolve that problem. And one of my most successful LR had a VR of 52.

GB and velocity are secondary ratings. Tie-breakers, so to speak.

For starters, I like 4 pitches. Short relievers only need 2. 3 pitch guys often end up in long relief(unless their stamina lends them to short relief).

Finally, my formula changes with the park. I don't use the same formula in Albuquerque that I use in Charleston.
5/18/2016 9:23 AM
Like MikeT said.

I rank VsR first then pitch 1, VsL then pitch 2, control and whatever after that.

That being said, I play in San Diego so I have a LR guy who has splits of 50/50 with 3 pitches over 80 and control in the 90's and I love the guy. He'll be a 1 arb and release but when I need innings eaten he's perfect (stamina is also high 80's).

For bullpen guys my answer is 'everything is important.' If VsL, VsR, control, pitch 1 or 2 are below 68 they aren't worth my time. To much can go wrong in 1 inning and I hate blown saves.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6858813

is a prime example. If he were a starter who could go 6 innings and had another pitch in the 40's or 50's he would get starts and make my big leagues. Because he is a reliever I doubt he'll ever make the bigs. In 6 innings I don't mind if he walks half a dozen guys. Chances are he will be able to get out of trouble. If he's in the 7th or 8th inning, walks two guys and gives up a 3 run homerun, I'm ******.
5/18/2016 10:27 AM (edited)
My biggest question was whether this guy could be effective in the MLs with less than ideal splits, but decent control and alright pitches

Player Profile: Humberto Ordonez - Hardball Dynasty Baseball | WhatIfSports
5/19/2016 9:25 AM
Plugging him into my formula, no. Not even close to an effective BL pitcher. You could use him to eat some innings in an emergency but, otherwise, nope.
5/19/2016 9:44 AM
Not yet but, as a DitR, perhaps he's going to progress another good bit.
5/19/2016 12:50 PM
Those splits could leap into mediocrity range, but GB/FB and VEL would have to progress more than a good bit. His Control is probably high because no batter is going to take one of those flat 81 mph FBs if he can reach it. Is it legal to hop over the plate into the other batter's box to hit one that's way outside?
5/19/2016 1:36 PM
I'm someone who believes great other stuff can help offset mediocre splits. But those pitches ain't great, and the control is only good.

5/19/2016 1:42 PM
This is my example of "great pitches but meh..." His peak:
Control 57
Splits 76/52
Vel/GB 91/81
Pitches 96/84/57/48

Mostly used as a LR with 40/50 PC. Below league average WHIP and close to league average ERA in his 1093 innings in AL Charleston.
5/19/2016 1:52 PM
Thanks for the input all.
5/19/2016 2:51 PM
This is my guy I was talking about with similar ratings.

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=6819835

as you can see, better control and much better P1 and P2 and right now he is still only an injury call up. I may make him a MOP next year because he's cheap and can eat innings all season long. That'll depend on the budget though.

also I play in SD and have a defensive squad from hell (5 guys who can play SS and any other position.) I have a guy who is 60's in all categories with an ERA under 3. So don't use my guys as an example.
5/19/2016 4:33 PM
Is there a difference in what actual pitches make a pitcher better or not? (ie: fast ball, curveball, slider etc.) Or do the actual kind of pitch not matter and just the percentage of how good it is?
5/19/2016 8:57 PM
Posted by Seventy_77 on 5/19/2016 8:57:00 PM (view original):
Is there a difference in what actual pitches make a pitcher better or not? (ie: fast ball, curveball, slider etc.) Or do the actual kind of pitch not matter and just the percentage of how good it is?
Just pay attention to the ratings of each pitch.
5/19/2016 9:03 PM
Is there a downfall to a two-pitch pitcher's second pitch being higher (88) than his first pitch (80)? If so, what is the downfall?
5/19/2016 9:47 PM
When you are looking at ratings for VsR, pitch 1, VsL, pitch 2 and control, what are the numbers that you look for to assess somebody that might be a middling BL contributor? What numbers typically for somebody that will be in the top 20% of all pitchers?
5/24/2016 8:03 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.