This coach in my conference apparently has an issue with how I schedule my non-conference. He says I schedule terribly every season. I would disagree. I scheduled weak this season (no denying that) but I explained how I only had 5 guys returning this yr and with the unpredictability of recruiting I had to schedule like this in case I ended up with only like 3 or 4 guys in my class (my class ended up being pretty nice but that is beside the point of the argument). I ended up non-conf. 8-2 with 2 bad losses to SIM coached teams most likely because the IQ on my team is very low right now. However, this coach says I schedule like **** every season and hurt all the other teams in the conference. When I schedule I try to find winnable games with teams who will have solid RPI by seasons end and schedule a few tough ones usually so I can get 8-10 non-conference wins because in a BIG 6 conference you need to make sure you can have enough to get to that 14 win requirement for the NT.

I then pointed out to him how our SOS have compared since he joined the conference (by the way we are in the same division of the conference so we play virtually the exact same in conference schedule other than playing against each other). Here is how our SOS have compared over the 7 complete seasons the coach has been in the conference:

SOS
Season 87: Me 32 Him 12
Season 88: Me 41 Him 35
Season 89: Me 13 Him 34
Season 90: Me 37 Him 52
Season 91: Me 41 Him 48
Season 92: Me 62 Him 43
Season 93: Me 39 Him 51

That is 4 of 7 seasons where I had the better SOS, with an aggregate of 265 for Me vs. 275 for Him. He then told me a proper analysis is looking at the SOS at the end of non-conference play, but I disagree since the teams you are playing RPI is NOT static thus the SOS you accrued against them continues to change throughout the season. He went onto say I am hurting all the other teams RPI in the conference because of this. So I did a little RPI comparison as well:

RPI
Season 87: Me 43 Him 50
Season 88: Me 22 Him 62
Season 89: Me 12 Him 37
Season 90: Me 40 Him 93
Season 91: Me 33 Him 43
Season 92: Me 25 Him 32
Season 93: Me 28 Him 44

That is a better RPI than him in all 7 seasons. But according to him I am "hurting" other teams in our conference while him and the other teams that schedule well are helping us "bad schedulers" out. Since I have a better RPI wouldn't when a team plays me a win against me helps them more and a loss against me hurts them less? I don't see in his logic how I am a detriment to our conference. Before I got to this school they had seen 2 NT appearances in the previous 30 seasons and now I am pretty much making it in the NT every season. Can someone explain to me after this comparison how my team is hurting the conference so much while his is helping so much more than mine? No doubt this guy is a great coach with 6 NT championships to his credit and I am 0-3 in NT championship games, but damn I am not seeing his point on this. The dude is basically calling me a dumbass without saying it so I want to see where I am wrong on this because I am 99.9% sure I am NOT wrong. Thanks.
5/18/2016 5:06 PM (edited)
Frankly, I'd tell the other coach to mind his own business and let you play the game and schedule the non conference games as you see fit. You're playing the game for your own enjoyment not to please him so his opinion is irrelevant. The fact that your season end SOS is strong and on par with his is another reason this is just a silly argument.
5/18/2016 5:18 PM
The funny thing is at the end of his posts attacking a few of us coaches for our schedules he does say that since we pay to play we can schedule however we want. Which is hilarious cause at the same time he is ridiculing us and then is basically backtracking by saying that.

He sure as hell makes it seem he doesn't want us scheduling however we want.
5/18/2016 5:24 PM
I believe that if you work through the arithmetic, they key thing he should care about is that you get wins in your nonconference games - much more than your SOS.
5/18/2016 5:30 PM
You've played 8 sims and each of them have SOSs in the top 60 right now. Which means human coaches have filled these "good" sims's non-conference schedules. When your sim opponents start beating the sims in their own conferences your SOS will improve dramatically. (As you clearly know.)

Yes, it's a light schedule, but it's not nearly as bad as it looks right now. It's not going to keep you from getting in the tournament -- especially since you immediately made up for your bad sim loss by knocking off Michigan State. And it's not going it's not going to be one of the top 20 reasons that any conference-mate doesn't achieve their goals.
5/18/2016 5:36 PM
drsnell for the win...that is what I explained to him, that most of these teams should start racking up the wins in their conference schedules...but based on his arguments I think he believes that the SOS of your non-conference is a static number or something.
5/18/2016 5:53 PM
remind him about how you can schedule however you want and leave it at that...
5/18/2016 6:36 PM
He is clueless
5/18/2016 10:57 PM
Just tell him to take a flying leap and kick his a** on the hardwood
5/19/2016 7:51 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.