I have a catcher that hit 330+ the last 2 seasons. I acquired him in a trade he is good in every catcher category except he is a 45 pitch caller... how much will the 45 pc rating hurt my team
5/18/2016 8:34 PM
You remember the Marcellus rape scene from Pulp fiction?
5/18/2016 9:57 PM
hahaha that bad?????
5/18/2016 10:59 PM
As per MikeT - Pitch Calling - lowers your staff ERA by .12 for every 10 points in PC over the course of a season.

So if you are starting a .45 pitch caller over a .75 pitch caller you are giving up an extra .36 ERA. That's somewhere in the neighborhood of 55-60 runs in a season.
5/19/2016 4:53 AM
Depends on a bunch of other stuff too. Pitching, defense, ballpark. I took a team to the WS with a 42 PC catcher, he was top three in OPS on the team so I needed his bat in the lineup. That team was tops in the world in all major pitching categories that season, 3.26 ERA, a full half a run better than the next closest team.

So if I'd started a 72 pitch caller would I have given up over 100 runs less than the next best team? Seems hard to believe that could happen.

Bottom line, I had other things going in my favor and his bat was worth not worrying about the PC.

In a different park I might change my mind. I've got a team in Yankee Stadium right now, my C is second on the team in OPS and has 99 power but again, 42 PC. And it seems like every game is a shootout, 10-8. Why isn't he my DH? Because I've got a DH who's also got 99 power.

5/19/2016 8:22 AM (edited)
The numbers I came up with were roughly 4 real-life years ago based on roughly 80 seasons of data spread across my various teams. Park, defense, pitching, competition, etc, etc, was obviously very different for many comparisons. I only used my catchers and only compared them to other catchers on the same team in the same year. I forget the required innings played but it was not insignificant. IOW, I wasn't comparing a 1200 inning catcher to a 100 inning catcher.

All that said, it was not perfect. Sometimes the 78 PC catcher had a worse cERA than the 52 PC catcher.

But it's a good guideline.
5/19/2016 8:53 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.